depth in secondary

aubiefifty

Even in having to replace four safeties from last season, Auburn is confident about its depth at the back of the secondary.

Starters Tray Matthews and Stephen Roberts are gone, along with backups Nick Ruffin and Jason Smith, but Daniel Thomas has experience at deep safety and Jeremiah Dinson made the move from nickel in the spring. Both are in position to start this fall with true freshmen Jamien Sherwood and Quindarious Monday backing them up.

“Our guys are making progress,” safeties coach Greg Brown said before the Marshall County Auburn Club’s annual meeting in Guntersville on Tuesday. “People are learning and we’re coming together to be able to play and function as a group and uphold our end of the bargain in the secondary.”

Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele said Dinson and Thomas would be the starters at safety, with Jamel Dean and Noah Igbinoghene at outside corner and Javaris Davis at nickel if Auburn had to play now.

Brown said Dinson, who had shoulder surgery after the spring game, and Thomas had “outstanding” springs.

“Jeremiah last year played nickel and rarely every played any safety for us, but he’s so smart and does such a great job,” Brown said. “He sees things, he processes quick that we just figured that he would be a natural at safety and he has been. He’s been outstanding.

“He goes back there and he takes charge. He sees what’s going to happen and he can spit it out very, very quickly and that’s huge as a safety.”

Last season, Dinson had 47 tackles with four pass breakups and a fumble recovery and Thomas had 35 tackles with an interception, three pass breakups and a fumble recovery. Both are expected to produce more not only because of increased reps, but because of their development.

“Daniel is a smart guy,” Steele said. “He’s a good tackler, he runs very, very well. He’s got good athleticism.”

Brown said Thomas didn’t have a bad practice all spring and is “playing at a higher level now than he was last fall.”

Sherwood and Monday both enrolled early and quickly proved themselves capable in the spring. How much they’ll each play remains to be seen, but it’s clear they both will and Brown said they have “huge” futures.

“They both share a lot of characteristics: They both have outstanding height, reach with their length, they’re both gifted in pass coverage, they can play whatever zone we’re going to ask them to play and they’re making strides learning our system,” Brown said. “Both they both stick their face in there, they’re not afraid to tackle. It’s just a matter of time with those two guys.

“They’re going to make typical freshman mistakes, like anybody would, but we’re well pleased with where they are and they were both bale to come in and get a ton of time this spring and it’s going to pay off.”

I found this article pretty humorous. Depth in the secondary?? When you have 2 converted nickles starting at safety and being backed up by 2 true freshmen...that means you have no depth. Same with DB where a converted WR is in the 2 deep. I'm personally counting on our DL being so good that other teams don't have time to pass against us. We just gotta hope everyone stays healthy and learn they're spots quick or this could be the achilles heel of what looks like a potentially great D

When is the last time we had a legit cover guy/playmaker back there? I am talking nationally coveted. 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I found this article pretty humorous. Depth in the secondary?? When you have 2 converted nickles starting at safety and being backed up by 2 true freshmen...that means you have no depth. Same with DB where a converted WR is in the 2 deep. I'm personally counting on our DL being so good that other teams don't have time to pass against us. We just gotta hope everyone stays healthy and learn they're spots quick or this could be the achilles heel of what looks like a potentially great D

My thoughts too even before I read the article. Listing someone at a position doesn't add depth. Quality experience does and that doesn't come from a spring practice. Hopefully these guys will end up being fine but confusing quantity with quality before they really have been tested is dangerous. Nice read but I'll wait for the movie. 

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

I found this article pretty humorous. Depth in the secondary?? When you have 2 converted nickles starting at safety and being backed up by 2 true freshmen...that means you have no depth. Same with DB where a converted WR is in the 2 deep. 

Exactly.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

When is the last time we had a legit cover guy/playmaker back there? I am talking nationally coveted. 

Umm, last year?

I kind'a "likes depth in the secondary," too.

31 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Umm, last year?

Who? Carlton Davis? Umm do you know what nationally coveted means? Carlton Davis wasn’t even 1st team in his conference let alone at the national level. I am talking Jamal Adams, Minkah , Patrick Peterson, honey badger type of national prowess. CD was a quality SEC corner and that in itself will get you some pub, but he was nowhere near a national power.

I totally understand why everybody has doubts because of the lack of playing time at Safety and having the two backups be freshman. What gives me hope is the fact that Brown is saying it. He knows DB play. That said from what I heard the D-Line dominated the O-Line so much in the spring that it is possible they didn't have to cover very long.  We will find out early against Washington. I miss the days where we could watch the practices in the spring and fall then we would have a better idea if they are good or if coach is just trying to sound positive.

I agree with the concerns expressed here.  

I think the article would have made more sense if he said “I like the potential with this group”.   Those freshmen are going to be good!  But they’re still FR.  Noah is a fantastic athlete, but brand new to the position.  I’m hoping by mid season we’re all very pleased with our secondary.   Until then, hoping the DL viciously prevents QBs from throwing the ball.  

19 hours ago, DAG said:

Who? Carlton Davis? Umm do you know what nationally coveted means? Carlton Davis wasn’t even 1st team in his conference let alone at the national level. I am talking Jamal Adams, Minkah , Patrick Peterson, honey badger type of national prowess. CD was a quality SEC corner and that in itself will get you some pub, but he was nowhere near a national power.

Well I would of said last year as well. Davis was a legit talent. But under those terms, Carlos Rodgers.

• WarTiger changed the title to depth in secondary
21 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Well I would of said last year as well. Davis was a legit talent. But under those terms, Carlos Rodgers.

I thought Carlos Rogers before, but this article seemed to feel more Safety oriented so I wasn't sure he qualified.  That's been, 12 years ago now...wow!

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I thought Carlos Rogers before, but this article seemed to feel more Safety oriented so I wasn't sure he qualified.  That's been, 12 years ago now...wow!

It goes back even further if you want a All American legit safety. 2004 (with Rodgers) we had Junior Rosegreen but he was much more of a headhunter type. As far as an all world household name at safety we have to go back a full decade further to 1994 when we had Brian Robinson and Chris Shelling, and they didn't make it in the NFL, so they may not even count...

Those points aside, I'm curious about Jayvaughn Myers? NCMs brother. I haven't heard his name mentioned since he signed. 

37 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Those points aside, I'm curious about Jayvaughn Myers? NCMs brother. I haven't heard his name mentioned since he signed. 

Made some nice tackles in the spring game...Other than that I haven't seen much.

53 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

As far as an all world household name at safety we have to go back a full decade further to 1994 when we had Brian Robinson and Chris Shelling, and they didn't make it in the NFL, so they may not even count...

Robinson was a 1st Team All American Safety. Shelling was a CB.

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It goes back even further if you want a All American legit safety. 2004 (with Rodgers) we had Junior Rosegreen but he was much more of a headhunter type. As far as an all world household name at safety we have to go back a full decade further to 1994 when we had Brian Robinson and Chris Shelling, and they didn't make it in the NFL, so they may not even count...

Right, those guys are AU legends but deferring to the main question, I think they were mainly household names to "us" (maybe the SEC) and not necessarily on a national level.

I remember BR was famous for throwing off his helmet after big plays.  Him and UF's Jack Jackson we're instrumental in the the NCAA pushing the extra sportsmanship rules regarding keeping your helmet on.  LOL!

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Right, those guys are AU legends but deferring to the main question, I think they were mainly household names to "us" (maybe the SEC) and not necessarily on a national level.

I remember BR was famous for throwing off his helmet after big plays.  Him and UF's Jack Jackson we're instrumental in the the NCAA pushing the extra sportsmanship rules regarding keeping your helmet on.  LOL!

Thank you! I wasn’t dissing Carlton Davis. He is a solid corner back but the common fan  wouldnt know who he is outside of the southeast. Dental Ward, Josh Jackson were much more household names from a corner position and from a secondary position a lot of people knew who Minkah was.

6 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Robinson was a 1st Team All American Safety. Shelling was a CB.

I know. I was just saying it was back in those days. 

10 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Wasn’t he hurt for a while?

On 5/4/2018 at 11:23 AM, DAG said:

Considering the qualifications that keep being added, then it's Tucker Fredrickson. #1 overall pick in the NFL draft. #2 in Heisman voting. If that ain't nationally coveted I don't know what is.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Considering the qualifications that keep being added, then it's Tucker Fredrickson. #1 overall pick in the NFL draft. #2 in Heisman voting. If that ain't nationally coveted I don't know what is.

Before Carlos Rogers, you may be right.

My "awareness" didn't begin until the later '70's - early '80's so I can't speak to anything really before then ?.

On 5/4/2018 at 9:24 PM, CCslim said:

Josh Jackson from Iowa last year was a coverted WR, Richard Sherman was too.

it can work and I trust brown

The fact that Iggy has already been penciled in as a starter by some may show us just how good Brown is.

Archived