Grimes updates the o line

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Not overly impressed on Greene sticking up for Bruce. That’s a no brainer. Scratching my head on Leath wanting to fire him. 

No brainer? Quite a few institutions would’ve sided on caution in terms of cheating and rules violations, especially with Pearl’s history. Not saying he knew his assistant was involved in it, but a lot of sources would jump to that conclusion. I hardly think that is a no brainer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alexava said:

Not overly impressed on Greene sticking up for Bruce. That’s a no brainer. Scratching my head on Leath wanting to fire him. 

Seriously, with Bruce's history?  He had is Asst Coach break rules and 2 players accept impermissible benefits - when 3 coaches are fired and 2 players are on a full season suspension fingers will undoubtedly be pointed a the HC.

I 100% see Leath's reservations with retaining a HC with a history of being untruthful to the NCAA when AU was plastered all over the news and headlines and in the midst of an FBI investigation.

Leath jumped into a hornets nest when he started, the Athletic Dept was in a huge mess.  Baseball's Sunny Galloway lawsuit, Softball's Corey Myers Title XI case, Clint Myers "resigning" and the way our AD chose to handled that scandal, the Track/Field racial discrimination allegations, THEN the damn FBI crap with Persons?  

Who could blame Leath for taking a super cautious approach?

I happy as hell that Greene backed Bruce and obviously got some background info and went to bat for BP.  But I understand Leath's reservations, especially when he face a brick wall where Bruce couldn't participate in his own employer's investigation.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

No brainer? Quite a few inistutions would’ve sided on caution in terms of cheating and rules violations, especially with Pearl’s history. Not saying he knew his assistant was involved in it, but a lot of sources would jump to that conclusion. I hardly think that is a no brainer.

I understand. But I think you have a certain amount of information and you know whether or not the head coach was implicated to the extent he be terminated. If he was you cut him loose. If he was not implicated he’s safe. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I understand. But I think you have a certain amount of information and you know whether or not the head coach was implicated to the extent he be terminated. If he was you cut him loose. If he was not implicated he’s safe. 

That’s hardly the way the world works haha you and I both know this 

32 minutes ago, alexava said:

Normally this is how it should work, but Bruce had serious limitations on his ability to cooperate with the Auburn investigation.  So, that certain amount of information was slim to none at the time Leath was trying to gather information.  At the advice of BP's lawyer,  he had to have been told to keep a tight lip until the Feds get through with this - which to my knowledge they still haven't finished.  There is still an NCAA investigation pending, waiting on the Feds.

All is well with Bruce and lets be thankful he is coming back for several winning seasons of which we all will enjoy; Now back to our OL.  I think JB will get the most out of the talent he has to work with. Who knows who will start at one of the tackle spots and my gut is that Ashley will come through to secure the spot. The center spot will be the one that I think will require the most work to win. We had some crappy luck with injuries, but God willing, we will be healthy come fall camp and all positions will be sorted out. I think we will have a scrappy hard working group of linemen who will put on their blue collar helmets and get after it.

I could be wrong, but I think I've heard some people say Driscoll can play 4 of the 5 positions on the OL. Was C the one not included? If he could play center and one of Ashley/Troxell could step up and take control of RT, that would be huge. 

22 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

I could be wrong, but I think I've heard some people say Driscoll can play 4 of the 5 positions on the OL. Was C the one not included? If he could play center and one of Ashley/Troxell could step up and take control of RT, that would be huge. 

I have seen one of these football dudes, maybe BigBird say neither Driscoll or Troxell would be a candidate to play center. No idea why. 

57 minutes ago, alexava said:

I have seen one of these football dudes, maybe BigBird say neither Driscoll or Troxell would be a candidate to play center. No idea why. 

Wasn't me, but I'd certainly would agree with that assessment.  Of the people we have, moving Horton to Center is a much better idea.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not sure about his player development but Searels has a really good recruiting Resume.

His player development was good at uga and lsu but just so so at UT jmo

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Wasn't me, but I'd certainly would agree with that assessment.  Of the people we have, moving Horton to Center is a much better idea.

What about those two gives you that feeling?

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

What about those two gives you that feeling?

Size and hip flexibility

Horton is the guy I've somewhat expected to move inside since the end of last season, but Grimes has been pretty adamant that he doesn't think shuffling Horton inside is necessary. I'm guessing the start of fall practice is either going to prove him right or we're going to hear about Mike moving in very early. It would be fascinating to see Tega/Harrell/Kim/Horton/Driscoll to lock into the starting five because we would HAVE TO give playing time to backups. All five of those guys are Juniors, and none of them are real threats to leave early. In other words, you'd have five guys to grow up together over two years, but you'd also lose your entire starting five after the 2019 season. I've never seen that.

If Troxell or Ashley can shift to LT, you could set a "second five" with Troxell/Manning/Brahms/Hamm/Ashley. Those guys are all RS freshmen this year. Maybe they'll all lock into place to just slide in 2020. (I'm kinda kidding... but not all the way).

9 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Horton is the guy I've somewhat expected to move inside since the end of last season, but Grimes has been pretty adamant that he doesn't think shuffling Horton inside is necessary. I'm guessing the start of fall practice is either going to prove him right or we're going to hear about Mike moving in very early. It would be fascinating to see Tega/Harrell/Kim/Horton/Driscoll to lock into the starting five because we would HAVE TO give playing time to backups. All five of those guys are Juniors, and none of them are real threats to leave early. In other words, you'd have five guys to grow up together over two years, but you'd also lose your entire starting five after the 2019 season. I've never seen that.

If Troxell or Ashley can shift to LT, you could set a "second five" with Troxell/Manning/Brahms/Hamm/Ashley. Those guys are all RS freshmen this year. Maybe they'll all lock into place to just slide in 2020. (I'm kinda kidding... but not all the way).

Hey, never hurts to have goals.

Such a tough call (as a powerless, useless fan) on center and Horton. Like, say he's a solid 8 out of 10 as a guard. Is he an 8 out of 10 as a center? What would the score be for the next options at those positions? What's the highest combined score?

Also, how important is it to Tega to have a steady, experienced guy next to him? What does it doe for overall stability and cohesion if our most experienced guy moves? 

But then again, we're talking about the center position. So it's tempting to just say, best available option there and figure out the rest.

I dunno. Sure wish we had a Ryan Pugh or a Reese Dismukes coming back. My hopes for this season would be borderline irresponsible. 

21 hours ago, alexava said:

You are not impressed with a brand new AD sticking up for a coach to a university president set on firing said coach? Wow. 

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You are not impressed with a brand new AD sticking up for a coach to a university president set on firing said coach? Wow. 

Yeah...

tenor.gif?itemid=5525764

17 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

That was me & I know little about OL play but PTB has reported the staff is sticking with him at RT where he played at UMass.

If the new guy can play OT, we are going to be OK. Think at least one of the other 3 OT's can at least step up and take the other spot. I'm not too concerned about the C spot. We all better hope Driscoll can play. If not, yikes. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If the new guy can play OT, we are going to be OK. Think at least one of the other 3 OT's can at least step up and take the other spot. I'm not too concerned about the C spot. We all better hope Driscoll can play. If not, yikes. 

Was reading something from Grimes where he said he thought Tega was heading All-SEC good. Do you still feel much differently on him than Grimes? Feel like I hear this stuff so often around this time that I don’t know how much stock to put into this comment.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-prince-tega-wanogho-all-conference-potential/amp

Really excited for the toughness to come out of this OL. Will go a long way IMO.

4 minutes ago, brad5628AU said:

Was reading something from Grimes where he said he thought Tega was heading All-SEC good. Do you still feel much differently on him than Grimes? Feel like I hear this stuff so often around this time that I don’t know how much stock to put into this comment.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-prince-tega-wanogho-all-conference-potential/amp

Really excited for the toughness to come out of this OL. Will go a long way IMO.

Hope Tega can turn the corner. Has all the tools. He still has a way to go. He can't defend a good pass rusher and is still learning the position. 

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Hope Tega can turn the corner. Has all the tools. He still has a way to go. He can't defend a good pass rusher and is still learning the position. 

Gonna be like early Lee Ziemba with all the holding calls. Fingers crossed we can overcome it. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No. I expect an ad to exercise common sense ( first) in dealing with the hiring and firing of head coaches. If he couldn’t look at the track record of our basketball program and see how big Bruce is to our athletic department and decide how much of a personal problem to work around..... either Bruce was contributing to the rules violations and terminated or he wasn’t and we all work together to repair the damage. It’s just that simple. I guess I should give him credit for agreeing with me on this?? We had an AD who got blamed for everything that ever went wrong his fault or not.  Now we are giving credit to the new guy for doing what any self thinking administrator would do automatically. But I am glad he did what he did. I’m a Greene fan so far. Leath, maybe not but athletics is probably not his priority. 

39 minutes ago, alexava said:

No. I expect an ad to excise common sense ( first) in dealing with the hiring and firing of head coaches. If he couldn’t look at the track record of our basketball program and see how big Bruce is to our athletic department and decide how much of a personal problem to work around..... either Bruce was contributing to the rules violations and terminated or he wasn’t and we all work together to repair the damage. It’s just that simple. I guess I should give him credit for agreeing with me on this?? We had an AD who got blamed for everything that ever went wrong his fault or not.  Now we are giving credit to the new guy for doing what any self thinking administrator would do automatically. But I am glad he did what he did. I’m a Greene fan so far. Leath, maybe not but athletics is probably not his priority. 

Are y’all on the correct thread? ? 

Archived