Baseball vs. Vanderbilt

8 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Don’t understand strategy in baseball but I was wondering if a coach would ever elect not to use their best pitcher against someone like Mize in order to try and win game 2 or 3. Simplistic I know

That gets discussed from time to time.....and probably not a good plan to "sacrifice" one game in hopes you can win the next one.   No pitcher is unbeatable and the Vandy pitcher did well enough to win in many circumstances.....a couple bad pitches and that was that.  And Mize was as good as he's been all season. 

JMO but we need all three games.......so go with the best you have available in every game....and hope for some hitting to back him up. 

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Bats weren't ringing but CM was tremendous wasn't he..?

One game down and two to go.....

Afternoon game tomorrow......the way baseball should be played..  2 PM start....Tanner Burns I presume....?

We did square up their starter several times tonight. We hit the 2 HRs and 5-6 other balls to the warning track in various spots. Steven Williams hit two of the hardest balls all night but both were just playable by the CF. 

Mize is such a pleasure to watch. Doesn’t mess around, punishes the zone with strikes, pitches smart, and does everything right. Hate we will only get to see a handful of starts for him in his career. 

Burns tomorrow likely followed by Greenhill. They’re 3-0 in that combo. Hope they can make it 4-0 tomorrow. 

14 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanks 64, gives me time to make quick work of some Pompano in the morning. television?

Catch and eat some for me? (love pompano)! I will be trying to catch tarpon on a fly rod in the Keys starting tomorrow. Now, back to our regularly scheduduled programming. 

Oh, and Mize is an absolute stud; took it to another level tonight, like last Friday still had him p——d off.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That gets discussed from time to time.....and probably not a good plan to "sacrifice" one game in hopes you can win the next one.   No pitcher is unbeatable and the Vandy pitcher did well enough to win in many circumstances.....a couple bad pitches and that was that.  And Mize was as good as he's been all season. 

JMO but we need all three games.......so go with the best you have available in every game....and hope for some hitting to back him up. 

And sends a bad signal to the team. That the coach doesn't believe the team is good enough to beat the other team's best.

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

Don’t understand strategy in baseball but I was wondering if a coach would ever elect not to use their best pitcher against someone like Mize in order to try and win game 2 or 3. Simplistic I know

Mizzou was successful doing that against us.

Archived