2019 4* TE Tyler Fromm Commits to AU!!!

WFE12

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Good read.  I have been wanting to understand the difference so for that I say. .. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 2

I just read over on the SBNation College and Magnolia blog Tyler Fromm is a hybrid WR/TE who mostly played WR but who projects as a tight-end. Fromm is 6'-5", and College and Magnolia says he has a large catch radius.

To me, he sounds like another potential C.J. Uzomah type of receiver. I know we heard a lot about CCL being more likely to use a hand-down TE than Malzahn, but I think both like the hybrid type player. That was the theory behind the recruiting of Sal Cannella and John Samuel Shenker.

A hybrid player who can play hand-down, standing split out, and as an h-back, is an effective run blocker, and is a viable receiving threat is a big benefit in a HUNH offense.

We have missed this for the last couple of years, instead substituting between an exclusive blocking TE and a WR as plays have dictated.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, corchjay said:

Boom!  Maybe they’ll show mom in the stands.  

Sorry last comment was uncalled for from a married man

I don’t know, the dad looks pretty intence. ?

Nice pick up for sure. I love the upside this kid has. Once he hits the weight room and adds some muscle pounds, he could be a special TE for us.

WDE Mr. Fromm!

• Like 1

:wareagle::wareagle::wareagle: Welcome to the family, we've been needing a TE.

5 hours ago, meh130 said:

We have missed this for the last couple of years, instead substituting between an exclusive blocking TE and a WR as plays have dictated.

We've missed it since CJU...who graduated today BTW.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We've missed it since CJU...who graduated today BTW.

Yup, saw him back on campus a few times this semester.  Good to see those guys come back and finish.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 5:47 PM, SCTiger2011 said:

I'm just above ignorant on the football recruiting front so don't take this question as snarky, but...Is there anything from the past few seasons that should get us excited about landing star tight end recruits anymore?  I remember everyone was excited about Sal and the offense didn't tailor at him to all last year imo.

Not everyone was excited about Sal. He isn't a very good football player. Losing Rice hurt. Tyler is legit and will be used quite a bit. Real good pickup. Tyler can play and add about 20 to 30 lbs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah. We got the ball to Sal several times early on. He refused to catch it. So we stopped.

We're not ever going to throw to the tight end "a lot", but I'm confident we'll use the right guy more than we have the last few years. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. We got the ball to Sal several times early on. He refused to catch it. So we stopped.

We're not ever going to throw to the tight end "a lot", but I'm confident we'll use the right guy more than we have the last few years. 

This, in past seasons it was fair to criticize us not getting the ball to a TE much at all. However, this year we gave him a few targets and he simply didn't catch it. A legitimate TE who is a threat to the middle game would be huge for the development of our offense as a whole.

• Like 3

YEp. If a TE is going to be thrown to, then he better catch it. Cause if he doesn't he won't see it again, since we don't throw that much to them anyway. A TE targeted in an offense HAS to have great hands. Sal, either had the yips or just inconsistent hands.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

YEp. If a TE is going to be thrown to, then he better catch it. Cause if he doesn't he won't see it again, since we don't throw that much to them anyway. A TE targeted in an offense HAS to have great hands. Sal, either had the yips or just inconsistent hands.

It's like being a running back under Gus...if you drop the ball you're not going to have a good time.

• Like 1

Last year was sad as Sal got open and the QB hit him on the numbers, then he dropped the ball.  At the beginning of the season you could see what a weapon a good TE would be for Auburn. It would have killed teams that blitzed. It may be 2 years before we know unless one of the current TE's has developed.

• Like 4

New commit Tyler Fromm’s role in Auburn’s offense

Tyler Fromm committed over the weekend, which led many to make the same overplayed joke: Congrats to another tight end Auburn won’t use.

It’s been a popular topic to poke fun at in recent years. The Tigers have rarely used their tight ends as receivers the last couple seasons.

Ever since Landon Rice’s dismissal, Auburn hasn’t found a true passing game threat at tight end. Jalen Harris has seen increased reps, but almost exclusively as a blocker. Sal Cannella hasn’t made the most of his limited opportunities, but coaches hope he can capitalize in 2018. John Samuel Shenker hasn’t had any real playing time after a redshirt season.

It’s not coach-speak to say Auburn hasn’t had the personnel it wants at that position. It’s the truth. Rice was the Tigers’ guy at tight end. And then he wasn’t. Auburn hasn’t had a playmaker of his caliber since, and it’s been hard to convince recruits they could be the person when the on-campus personnel doesn’t allow for any proof.

Fromm is willing to take a leap of faith, and he’s exactly what Auburn needs.

At 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, Fromm is much more a receiving type than a blocking type. That fits with Auburn’s plans coming into the cycle. The Tigers wanted to land a true receiving option and another who makes a living blocking in the trenches. Fromm fills the receiver role. Ideally, Sean Brown or Luke Deal will be the other style of tight end to join Auburn’s class.

One source described Fromm’s ball skills as the most similar to Phillip Lutzenkirchen as anyone Auburn has recruited at the position since the legendary Tigers tight end was courted to the Plains.

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:12 PM, Beaker said:

Was his mom in the pic?  I just focused on the player.    ?  haha

What player??............let me go back and look at pic.?

• Like 1

I don't know what UGA's situation is at TE and why he didn't go there but if he develops into another CJ he could be one of the big steals in this recruiting class.

2 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I don't know what UGA's situation is at TE and why he didn't go there but if he develops into another CJ he could be one of the big steals in this recruiting class.

Underused. Remember Isaac Nauta? #1 TE in the nation and caught like 6 balls last year. 

4 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

fromm is a 4 star on 247's own personal rankings. just not the composite. They do not need him because they got Luke Deal last cycle. I would say they conned him in to committing to them because Nautta a former 5 star tight end caught like 9 balls last season but lolololol that would be the ultimate pot calling the kettle black from a AU fan.

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Underused. Remember Isaac Nauta? #1 TE in the nation and caught like 6 balls last year. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

fromm is a 4 star on 247's own personal rankings. just not the composite. They do not need him because they got Luke Deal last cycle. I would say they conned him in to committing to them because Nautta a former 5 star tight end caught like 9 balls last season but lolololol that would be the ultimate pot calling the kettle black from a AU fan.

Nobody caught balls at uga last year. They'll promise the offense will pass more now that Fromm is more experienced, blah blah blah. Like you said, this pot won't call that kettle any names. 

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

That's probably six more balls than  our tight ends caught. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

That's probably six more balls than  our tight ends caught. 

Even KJ threw a TD pass to a TE! How soon we forget...

On 5/5/2018 at 4:48 PM, WFE12 said:

They just need a guy to throw to. The thing they’ve been making clear to me is just they don’t have too many guys recently who they could do that with.

This makes sense to me, based upon the play calling and recruiting during Malzahn's tenure. I love Jalen Harris, but it seems obvious the coaches don't trust him catching the ball (much to his family's chagrin). Still, they've been going after TEs on the recruiting trail, and signed Shenker (sp?) last year, so maybe Chip and Gus have bigger plans for the position going forward? I sure hope so.

Love Fromm's measurements, and one would have to presume he has some athletic ability given the fact that his brother has done so well at UGA. Would be great to have a big possession type guy for third downs and inside the 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Nobody caught balls at uga last year. They'll promise the offense will pass more now that Fromm is more experienced, blah blah blah. Like you said, this pot won't call that kettle any names. 

The pot can talk a little since our 1st year QB threw for about 1000 more yards than theirs.  

On 5/5/2018 at 7:50 PM, weathergeakal said:

ok, so what do yall think the chances are that Jake Fromm transfers out of UGA and comes to Auburn with his bro in 2019?? also if he did transfer out would u want him? I was just dreaming in my head for a sec.

No, I wouldn't. I like the chemistry we've got going at QB right now, and between Willis, Gatewood, and Nix, J Fromm would be hard pressed to crack the lineup by the time he got to the Plains anyway.