2019 4* TE Tyler Fromm Commits to AU!!!

WFE12

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

No, I wouldn't. I like the chemistry we've got going at QB right now, and between Willis, Gatewood, and Nix, J Fromm would be hard pressed to crack the lineup by the time he got to the Plains anyway.

That argument sounds familiar... who was it last used with... Oh yea, Russel Wilson. Not saying Fromm is even in the same area code as Wilson, but chemistry we currently have won't mean jack if Willis and Gatewood never reach their potential just like Frazier and Trotter. If he was interested, I wouldn't say "no".

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The pot can talk a little since our 1st year QB threw for about 1000 more yards than theirs.  

To be fair, though, our first year QB was a third year sophomore who had experience playing in the Power 5. Theirs was fresh out of high school...not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

• Like 1

Just now, Rednilla said:

To be fair, though, our first year QB was a third year sophomore who had experience playing in the Power 5. Theirs was fresh out of high school...not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

At the same time, ours effectively hadn't played a game in 21 or so months and was learning an offense that he, himself, said was far more complicated than the offense he had previously learned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

That argument sounds familiar... who was it last used with... Oh yea, Russel Wilson. Not saying Fromm is even in the same area code as Wilson, but chemistry we currently have won't mean jack if Willis and Gatewood never reach their potential just like Frazier and Trotter. If he was interested, I wouldn't say "no".

The big difference is that Wilson was a grad transfer, Fromm wouldn't be. If he decided to leave UGA for a JUCO (like if Fields leapfrogs him on the depth chart), then I'd be more than willing to reconsider when he's eligible to be recruited again, but he probably isn't going to transfer before the season, which would put him at Auburn no earlier than 2020, a time when Willis, Gatewood, or Nix would have already had a year on the field (more than likely, anyway, presuming Stidham follows predictions and goes pro after 2018).

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

At the same time, ours effectively hadn't played a game in 21 or so months and was learning an offense that he, himself, said was far more complicated than the offense he had previously learned.

That doesn't negate the physical/psychological maturity or the experience against D-I competition. Don't undersell Stidham for the sake of making a point in an argument.

42 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

but he probably isn't going to transfer before the season

That all depends on how Kirby plays it. If he's like his former boss and strings him along without announcing a starter until game 1, sure, but it seems more common, these days, for a QB to jump ship as soon as he finds out he's going to be benched. I'm looking at the scenario of Fields being named within the first week or so of Fall practice and Fromm being eligible as a 2019 recruit to sit 2019 and play 2020.

41 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

That doesn't negate the physical/psychological maturity or the experience against D-I competition. Don't undersell Stidham for the sake of making a point in an argument.

I'm not underselling anyone. All you have to do is look at the first 3 games of the season and you can see that he was as rusty as they get. Today, he's a far superior QB to Fromm, but from day 1 of last season, they weren't that far apart.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm not underselling anyone. All you have to do is look at the first 3 games of the season and you can see that he was as rusty as they get. Today, he's a far superior QB to Fromm, but from day 1 of last season, they weren't that far apart.

And you don't think him being the superior QB now has anything to do with the amount of experience and development he has compared to J Fromm? I get that he was rusty and learning a new system, but the learning curve isn't nearly as steep for a kid who has played major D-I ball and been working out at the college level for two years already when compared to a true freshman.

In any case, however, we've drifted from talking about our new TE commit, the UGA QB's little brother. Probably ought to save this chat for IF Jake decides to leave UGA and get back to celebrating Tyler's commitment.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

In any case, however, we've drifted from talking about our new TE commit, the UGA QB's little brother. Probably ought to save this chat for IF Jake decides to leave UGA and get back to celebrating Tyler's commitment.

Agreed, very excited about this kid. Wish he could get on campus even sooner!

Kirby would block the transfer anyway so the pointless discussion that has lasted nearly a full page can stop right there.

Now get back on Tyler Fromm please.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2019 4* TE Tyler Fromm commits!
  • ellitor featured this topic
  • ellitor unpinned this topic

Forgot to mention this last week but props to Tyler for becoming a composite 4* with his bump from 247. Thread title updated to reflect the bump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Forgot to mention this last week but props to Tyler for becoming a composite 4* with his bump from 247. Thread title updated to reflect the bump.

Nice! Congrats, TF!

Also, there doesn't seem to be as much whining about it as there used to be- props to all- but it seems there are 2 kinds of Auburn bumps and this kind has happened many times on Gus's watch. So congrats to the staff, also! 4* TEs and early, accurate player evaluations are a big deal!

Edited by McLoofus

• ellitor changed the title to 2019 4* TE Tyler Fromm Commits to AU!!!

Tickled to see he has picked up the 4th * he and Luke Deal have the potential to see AU use a TE the way we have all been asking. Both seem to have solid pass catch and route running skills. Deal is currently a little bigger (Weight wise) which might mean he could be used in both blocking schemes and passing schemes which would help if we want to run a fast O again. I would love to see Fromm add some weight during his senior year as that would allow him to in both blocking and passing schemes and also allow us a 2 TE set in some situations.

I think we could see both get some PT their 1st year as Cox and current TE will both be gone.

Edited by AuburnNTexas