Starting rotation for the next two weeks

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

We made those guys look like first round picks....double figure Ks in each game.

Rolison probably is a first round pick. Fiegl isn’t on that level, but his stuff is nasty. And he was named National Pitcher of the Month in February. Ole Miss had 2-3 guys who threw our kryptonite. That hard, low in the zone slider that looks like an outside FB but is never a strike is and has been a problem for this lineup the last two years. And we’re probably going to get a steady dose of them against LSU. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burns to start today.....looks like Plan A is out the window....which might be a good thing...

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Burns to start today.....looks like Plan A is out the window....which might be a good thing...

Still think rotation should’ve been kept at Mize, Burns, Mitchell. A Thursday game from Mize this week would’ve allowed him to throw Tuesday of next week 

18 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Still think rotation should’ve been kept at Mize, Burns, Mitchell. A Thursday game from Mize this week would’ve allowed him to throw Tuesday of next week 

I agree there....for last week and going forward but once the die is cast, it's hard to change and not many coaches want give the impression they made a bad call. 

BUT....Burn can be pretty good and might be less pressure on him tonight.....and he sure did not wear himself out in his last game.   He might be more comfortable at home and I'm hoping we get 5 good innings from him....anything more would be a bonus... . 

46 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'm almost wondering if we're moving Burns up to take that Tuesday spot.  Then, if we win, you have Mize to put you in the winner's bracket.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm almost wondering if we're moving Burns up to take that Tuesday spot.  Then, if we win, you have Mize to put you in the winner's bracket.

sounds reasonable....I think DD is done as a major starter this year...JMO...

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I believe Jack Owen is going to start the Tuesday game. If we win, I’m not sure what we will do. Probably will depend on who throws out of the pen in relief of Owen. 

5 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I believe Jack Owen is going to start the Tuesday game. If we win, I’m not sure what we will do. Probably will depend on who throws out of the pen in relief of Owen. 

If we win, Tanner could conceivably throw Wednesday.  That's five days rest.  But I also think if we hold DD off this weekend, you could see him out there Tuesday as well.

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

If we win, Tanner could conceivably throw Wednesday.  That's five days rest.  But I also think if we hold DD off this weekend, you could see him out there Tuesday as well.

Don't two or four teams get a bye for the first round?  and I was thinking in the past the lowest seeds were one and done if they lost?   I tried to figure out the bracket for some on pictures and was not sure how it works now. 

Could we still get a bye ....

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Don't two or four teams get a bye for the first round?  and I was thinking in the past the lowest seeds were one and done if they lost?   I tried to figure out the bracket for some on pictures and was not sure how it works now. 

Could we still get a bye ....

Top 4 seeds get a bye. We are eliminated from that because we lose all potential tie breakers.. The best we can do now is a 5 seed. To get it we have to sweep LSU & aTm has to sweep Carolina. The 1 & done games are for the 5-12 seeds on Tuesday. It goes to double elim Wednesday.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Top 4 seeds get a bye. We are eliminated from that because we lose all potential tie breakers.. The best we can do now is a 5 seed. To get it we have to sweep LSU & aTm has to sweep Carolina. The 1 & done games are for the 5-12 seeds on Tuesday. It goes to double elim Wednesday.

Thanks.....so looks like if we want to make a statement in the tournament, we need to be prepared to win the first game.   It's not going to be Mize on the mound obviously.....

So who gives us the best chance to avoid elimination on Tuesday?.....or maybe a win on Tuesday is not deemed to be critical for the best placement in the NCAA regionals?   or perhaps all that depends on what happens with the remaining 2 LSU games? 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So who gives us the best chance to avoid elimination on Tuesday?

Tough call. There's not much that differentiates the 5-12 teams in the league but if I had to guess it would be Vols if they get there. They also wouldn't help our resume any while any other potential opponent would help.

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

or maybe a win on Tuesday is not deemed to be critical for the best placement in the NCAA regionals? or perhaps all that depends on what happens with the remaining 2 LSU games? 

I still think we need to win Tuesday no matter how the LSU series finishes in trying to lock up a region spot. If we sweep LSU then that should be all we need. If LSU gets a game then we will also have to take a game from one of Arky, Ole Miss or UGA in Hoover IMO to get a region host spot.

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yeah, that's a possibility. Right now, I'd guess we would go with Mitchell or Daniel in that Wednesday game depending on who we use out of the bullpen. That sets you up for Tanner on Thursday. And if we get to Friday, Mize would throw or get the week off if we don't get to Friday. There is also the possibility that Mize could throw a short outing early in the week like we did with Keegan last year, but I'd think that possibility is very remote given the way Butch has seemingly protected him these last couple weeks. 

26 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Yeah, that's a possibility. Right now, I'd guess we would go with Mitchell or Daniel in that Wednesday game depending on who we use out of the bullpen. That sets you up for Tanner on Thursday. And if we get to Friday, Mize would throw or get the week off if we don't get to Friday. There is also the possibility that Mize could throw a short outing early in the week like we did with Keegan last year, but I'd think that possibility is very remote given the way Butch has seemingly protected him these last couple weeks. 

Seems like winning the Tuesday game in the SEC is more important than the Wed game since Tue is single elimination...and Wed starts the double elimination and gives more room to take a chance with a pitcher....Mitchell or Daniel perhaps as you suggest ?  

Greenhill seems to have the potential for a long outing and guess he could be a starter if needed.  Problem is that while most of our guys have good arms and have had some good stints on the mound.....they have also had the wheels come off in a matter of minutes leaving CBT with a lot of innings to cover from the bullpen.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Seems like winning the Tuesday game in the SEC is more important than the Wed game since Tue is single elimination...and Wed starts the double elimination and gives more room to take a chance with a pitcher....Mitchell or Daniel perhaps as you suggest ?  

Greenhill seems to have the potential for a long outing and guess he could be a starter if needed.  Problem is that while most of our guys have good arms and have had some good stints on the mound.....they have also had the wheels come off in a matter of minutes leaving CBT with a lot of innings to cover from the bullpen.

Yeah, they could pair up Greenhill with Owen on Tuesday. Try to get Jack through four, get 1-2 from Daniel or Coker, and let Greenhill finish it off. And the coaches may decide to go with someone else besides Owen on Tuesday, but I think that's the plan right now. If we sweep LSU and it looks like winning Tuesday locks up an NCAA regional host spot, we may throw someone else. They seem to have a lot of faith in Owen though, and he's pitched well lately.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:05 PM, Brad_ATX said:

I think you may be right.

21 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I think you may be right.

Maybe but if we lose Tuesday the visit to Hoover is done with .....JMO but that is the most important game of the tournament 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Maybe but if we lose Tuesday the visit to Hoover is done with .....JMO but that is the most important game of the tournament 

I like our chances with Burns.

Just now, Tigerbelle said:

I like our chances with Burns.

I'd be less enthusiastic about Owens however....

I’d say the new pitching lineup isn’t working out well for Mize. He’s been roughed up the last 2 weekends. I think he needs to go back to Game 1 starter.

29 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I’d say the new pitching lineup isn’t working out well for Mize. He’s been roughed up the last 2 weekends. I think he needs to go back to Game 1 starter.

Fortunately, the only other time this will be an issue will be regional play, to which I’d say there’s more than a 100 percent chance he’s AUs game 1 starter

On 5/17/2018 at 10:08 PM, boomstick said:

CBT  just confirmed it would be  Jack Owen on Tues. He thinks Jack is hot right now. 

9 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

CBT  just confirmed it would be  Jack Owen on Tues. He thinks Jack is hot right now. 

Love the thinking...if you win and can't stay in the top half (winner's) of the bracket, it's just about worse than not winning the first one...from a pitching staff stress standpoint.  And it's pretty much an all or nothing approach as far as earning a host spot.  

On 5/17/2018 at 5:06 PM, AU64 said:

I think DD is done as a major starter this year...JMO...

I know you didn't see it since it was way past your bed time, but you should replay his seven outs from Friday night's game.  Five strikeouts, he looked a lot like a dominant closer.  Location and velocity that remind me of somebody....

Related image

Archived