Starting rotation for the next two weeks

8 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I know you didn't see it since it was way past your bed time, but you should replay his seven outs from Friday night's game.  Five strikeouts, he looked a lot like a dominant closer.  Location and velocity that remind me of somebody....

Related image

:)  Nope I managed to see that....threw nothing but smoke.....and had his control.  Worked great for a couple innings and maybe his best outing of the season...hoping we get to see more of that in the future.     

Tell him not to be messing around trying to get a curve over and whatever else usually gets him in trouble.  Just throw the heater.... high and hard. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Tell him not to be messing around trying to get a curve over and whatever else usually gets him in trouble.  Just throw the heater.... high and hard. 

Ha, see dot number "2" in the Kimbrel sequence?  That's the 91 mph slider that bounced at 60' 8".  Pitching is all about trying to deceive the batter and you've at least got to have the threat of a change of speed.  Daniel did throw one "get me over" breaking ball that was called for a strike. 

3 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Ha, see dot number "2" in the Kimbrel sequence?  That's the 91 mph slider that bounced at 60' 8".  Pitching is all about trying to deceive the batter and you've at least got to have the threat of a change of speed.  Daniel did throw one "get me over" breaking ball that was called for a strike. 

His "get me over curve" is what they have been hitting but also his control is an issue....too many "good pitches"......especially on 2 strikes if I remember correctly.   He had the high heat against LSU and several of their guys struck themselves out on high balls as in the video clip.....reminded me of Osorio and her rise ball that the batters just can't seem to lay off.   

He had a great night against LSU and would have been good to see if he could have gone the distance and kept the game within 2 by the time we got to the ninth. 

13 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I know you didn't see it since it was way past your bed time, but you should replay his seven outs from Friday night's game.  Five strikeouts, he looked a lot like a dominant closer.  Location and velocity that remind me of somebody....

Related image

Geez I wish he stayed a Brave. 

13 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Too bad it seems he has to be a reliever to give us that kind of outing.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Don't count him out yet....

I'm not. He'll probably start if we get to a Wednesday game.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

But on the other hand, if he can bring the gas for two innings he can be the bridge from the starter to Greenhill

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

I'd gladly take him as a reliever....most starting pitchers can't make it past the second time through a batting order.....so if DD could come and throw strikes and smoke.....I'd be glad to have him out there.    JMO but looked to me like they simplified the game for him and he did well....no hanging curves on 2 strikes....keep it fundamental for the time he was out there.    Coaches just have be ready with a quick hook for him.....but when he is on....he looks pretty good. 

On 5/19/2018 at 12:56 PM, Tigerbelle said:

CBT  just confirmed it would be  Jack Owen on Tues. He thinks Jack is hot right now. 

Jack has pitched well the last few outings. Against their lefty-heavy lineup, hopefully he presents some matchup problems for them and pitches well. Some Kentucky fans I’ve talked to think they will throw Sean Hjelle. They’re also concerned about the health of their staff. Several of their pitchers are injured and likely won’t throw Tuesday. 

I’m curious to see what Butch and Smitty do with the bullpen. I think Tuesday is a really important game. So do they use guys like Greenhill and Daniel (or maybe even Burns or Mize in a short relief role) to close out the game for a win? And if so, how does that set us up for who starts Wednesday and Thursday? I imagine Butch probably does whatever he can to win Tuesday if we have a lead late. 

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yeah, same for Rivera and Eckersly and Gossage and Wagner and Smoltz and....

Seems to me like our best option would be to throw Burns. Jack has barely thrown any innings against SEC competition this year, and Tanner has 5 days of rest. I just wonder why we wouldn’t throw Tanner in a game that likely could set us up for getting a host spot. 

Maybe he really trusts Jack, which yes he’s thrown pretty well as of late, but that hasn’t been against SEC hitters. 

6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Seems to me like our best option would be to throw Burns. Jack has barely thrown any innings against SEC competition this year, and Tanner has 5 days of rest. I just wonder why we wouldn’t throw Tanner in a game that likely could set us up for getting a host spot. 

Maybe he really trusts Jack, which yes he’s thrown pretty well as of late, but that hasn’t been against SEC hitters. 

Sounds like it's Owen, Daniel, and Greenhill for an inning or two. Then we might move up Burns and Mize to Wednesday and Thursday. Sounds like Butch wants to win game one and then put us in a position to win the tournament if possible.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Sounds like it's Owen, Daniel, and Greenhill for an inning or two. Then we might move up Burns and Mize to Wednesday and Thursday. Sounds like Butch wants to win game one and then put us in a position to win the tournament if possible.

There is no game 2 and 3 unless we win game one of course......so the question is whether pitching a guy who has mostly seen Samford and has an ERA of 6+ overall and 18 in the SEC is the right guy.   Whoever starts, Owen or ?     coaches need to have their first relief pitcher sitting out in the BP ready for action.    Can't afford to let Kentucky jump on top by 2 or 3 runs right away.    

One advantage for Owen perhaps is  the Met layout is larger than any place he has pitched this season and dingers are not going to be flying out of there if a pitcher happens to groove one in the batter's sweet spot. 

20 hours ago, boomstick said:

Jack has pitched well the last few outings. Against their lefty-heavy lineup, hopefully he presents some matchup problems for them and pitches well. Some Kentucky fans I’ve talked to think they will throw Sean Hjelle. They’re also concerned about the health of their staff. Several of their pitchers are injured and likely won’t throw Tuesday. 

I’m curious to see what Butch and Smitty do with the bullpen. I think Tuesday is a really important game. So do they use guys like Greenhill and Daniel (or maybe even Burns or Mize in a short relief role) to close out the game for a win? And if so, how does that set us up for who starts Wednesday and Thursday? I imagine Butch probably does whatever he can to win Tuesday if we have a lead late. 

UK lineup has two true LH hitters and two who are listed as hitting from both sides (although Becker hit lefty against the last two lefties they faced in conference play), so Butch isn't really playing the matchup angle.  The Cats live and die with the long ball...top two in the league (Heyer and Cottam with 18 each) and tied with UF for team home runs (80).  That would be a little scary if the tournament was being played at Cliff Hagan Stadium which is a monstrous 310' down the line in right.  Although the Spanberger game did happen in last year's tourney, Thompson must not fear lightning striking again.  This is a set up for an all or nothing run.  I don't think there is any chance they use Burns or Mize out of the pen in Hoover.  There just isn't any upside to stressing the pitching staff this week.  If we lose on Tuesday, it probably has very little bearing on where we play (might possibly drop us to a #3), win it all and probably get to host a regional.  Am I the only one that thinks this is brilliant?

4 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I don't think there is any chance they use Burns or Mize out of the pen in Hoover

Agree ......unless maybe we are up 6-5 in the 9th after a go ahead rally in the 8th...or something like that.    Otherwise, what happens happens. 

6 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Am I the only one that thinks this is brilliant?

You aren't the only one, but I differ. I'd want to give game #1 my best shot possible. Why not DD or Mitchell in game 1 if there's some reason Burns can't go? That ERA of 6+ against mostly mid week competition isn't giving me the warm fuzzies.

Archived