Gus is ranked 16th on the hot seat

So I was listening to a podcast and they were discussing that this would be Kevin Steeles last year at Auburn before taking a HC vacancy.  I started thinking what possibly opening could come up that Steele would want, so I went over to coaches hot seat and saw that Gus is 16 on the hot seat. Seriously?  For a variety of reasons I find that hard.  Yes we are  all disappointed with the SEC title game and how our players didn't even show up against UCF, but beating UGA an Bama, handing Saban is worst defeat at Bama. I just donot see Gus in the top 25 of the hot seat list right now.  

Also Barry Odom was  17.   I figured after his 6 game win streak last year he would be a little more safe too.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After being ahead 20-0 in Baton Rouge, Gus took his foot off the gas and that allowed LSU to come back and beat Auburn 27-23. We also lost to Clemson AGAIN at Clemson 14-6. Those are  good reasons for Gus to still be on the hot seat. Our 4 loses all came on the road.  We haven't been a good road team since JJ hired Malzahn.

Your right, 2014 and 2015 was his undoing.  The only thing that saved Gus' back side was JJ. Somehow I really doubt Allen Greene would put up with crappy coaching the way like JJ always did. Mr. Greene wouldn't write out big contracts and big buyouts for a crappy coach.

If coaching success in the SEC is measured by the number of times you beat Coach Saban, then I would think coach is very safe...how  many have beat him 2 within 5 years that are still coaching??? No one except Gus...Why did Mullen leave for UF, because it was a matter of time before he was gone...his record against us and bama isn't much to write home about...I know we haven't played all that well on the road, but the last time we went to MSU, it was over by the 1st quarter....also, he just signed a very nice contract...he's not on the hot seat.... 

he just signed a 7 year/80 gazillion dollar contract....anyone saying that he is on the 'hot seat" is stupid, i mean in the "too stupid to breathe" category.....he won't be going anywhere for a long time, much to my dismay.... AU had the best team in the country this past season, did not make the playoffs and ended up with 4 losses.....i guess thats the new norm....he is not a bad coach, actually can be quite good at times, but he is so inconsistent,arrogant,stubborn and oblivious to the obvious that its maddening.....its hard to enjoy football, unlike basketball which i enjoyed immensely......having confidence in a coach goes a long way in how you embrace the game

Why did I think that Steele would retire at AU? Is he not close to retirement age? His brother still works here, right? 

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

Why did I think that Steele would retire at AU? Is he not close to retirement age? His brother still works here, right? 

Steele will be 60 years old later this month. I don't see him having much interest in changing jobs, and I also don't see a school wanting to hire a "new" head coach that is already 60.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Steele will be 60 years old later this month. I don't see him having much interest in changing jobs, and I also don't see a school wanting to hire a "new" head coach that is already 60.

Well UT was interested before they fired their AD.................

3 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

If coaching success in the SEC is measured by the number of times you beat Coach Saban, then I would think coach is very safe...how  many have beat him 2 within 5 years that are still coaching??? No one except Gus...Why did Mullen leave for UF, because it was a matter of time before he was gone...his record against us and bama isn't much to write home about...I know we haven't played all that well on the road, but the last time we went to MSU, it was over by the 1st quarter....also, he just signed a very nice contract...he's not on the hot seat.... 

Mississippi State was not going to fire Dan Mullen. Are you serious? That is why they were butt hurt that he left . He went to UF because he coached there previously and it is a much better opportunity. So he was going to get fired by MSU, yet sign a much more lucrative contract with UF, with more talent and more expectations. Does that make any sense?

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Mississippi State was not going to fire Dan Mullen. Are you serious? That is why they were butt hurt he left . He went to UF because he coached there previously and it is a much better opportunity. So he was going to get fired by MSU, yet sign a much more lucrative contract with UF, with more talent and more expectations. Does that make any sense?

I feel like this is getting away from the topic but I agree, MSU did  not want Dan going anywhere.  He did what? 8-9 straight bowl games at MSU is huge.  Problem is MSU may never be a NC caliber program.  Florida is.  Dan left because he wants a natty.  Plain and simple.  he can do that at UF.  That being said I am not impressed with his recruiting at UF so far.

7 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Well UT was interested before they fired their AD.................

Interested to the extent that Steele was about #6 on their want list.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Interested to the extent that Steele was about #6 on their want list.

Steele happened though. 

5 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Steele happened though. 

And the award for the best use of a coaches name goes to.....ToomerStreet. 

If Gus would stop voluntarily getting in line for the hot seat a couple of games a year he wouldn't even be mentioned. It's a tough conference and Auburn has a chance with Gus. 

13 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

So I was listening to a podcast and they were discussing that this would be Kevin Steeles last year at Auburn before taking a HC vacancy.  I started thinking what possibly opening could come up that Steele would want, so I went over to coaches hot seat and saw that Gus is 16 on the hot seat. Seriously?  For a variety of reasons I find that hard.  Yes we are  all disappointed with the SEC title game and how our players didn't even show up against UCF, but beating UGA an Bama, handing Saban is worst defeat at Bama. I just donot see Gus in the top 25 of the hot seat list right now.  

Also Barry Odom was  17.   I figured after his 6 game win streak last year he would be a little more safe too.

Any chance we can get a link to, or directions to find, this list?

Much appreciated.

What would AUfamily be without the Gus Malzahn debate?

2013 - (12-2) idiotic loss to LSU on the road and a choke job against Florida State costing us a national championship. Yes, it was nice just to make it to the NC and to win a SECC but it's equally frustrating knowing that you were so close and so capable.

2014 - (8-5) with losses to Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Georgia, Alabama, and Wisconsin. This year made two straight postseason losses for Gus. Ugly loss to Georgia where our players essentially quit.

2015 - (7-6) we had an overtime win against Jacksonville State... lost to Mississippi State again... lost to a bad Arkansas team in overtime... lost to Ole Miss.. and we played Memphis in the Birmingham Bowl...gross

2016 - (8-5) losing to Clemson is always fun, losing to a bad Texas A&M team, Georgia and Alabama beating us as well. Then an embarrassing loss to Oklahoma (1-3) in bowl games now.

2017 - (10-4) Inexcusable loss to Clemson, idiotic loss to LSU, choked against Georgia in round 2, didn't even try against UCF (1-4) in bowl games. Having a coach that gets you to big games doesn't help if he can't win them.

TL;DR Gus had two teams that should have been National Championships and he failed them. That would have doubled our total of championships and could have kept one away from the turds.

Whether people like it or not, the success that Alabama is having exacerbates the criticism towards Gus. The amount he gets paid doesn't help and neither does the fact that a HC with an OC mindset has had complete failures of offensive production at times.

His butt is quite reasonably on the hot seat. Any half decent coach should have had a good year last season with that roster.

Brand spanking new contract tells me his seat is just as cool as it was in the wake of last yrs Iron Bowl.  My suggestion, quit looking in the rear view mirror - buck up, because if you're an AU fan you will be ridin' this Bus for a while.

Gus could have a losing season and still keep his job. He is nowhere near the hot seat. The new contract makes that clear. Auburn is more ready to compete each year than it ever has before. No more years where our talent will be low. He has gotten us to a point where it's pretty much we will simply reload. That's a big deal. It's how programs like Alabama and Georgia have consistent success. They recruit to a level where there is little drop off the following year. This is what Gus has accomplished and its worth noting.

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

a choke job against Florida State costing us a national championship.

A choke job? Really? That was a game against equally matched teams and the ball bounced their way.

26 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Gus had two teams that should have been National Championships and he failed them. That would have doubled our total of championships and could have kept one away from the turds.

That's a stretch. We had 2 very capable teams who had a shot. One got to the game and came a handful of seconds against closing the deal but fell to a very talented team lead by the QB of the Tampa Bay Buccaneer, in part because of inexplicable things like a defender pulling a hammy on a kick-off, leaving a lane open. The other succumbed to injuries and a limited offensive line after achieving some amazing things.

Here's the reality, any hot seat list Gus is on is there because the people writing the list know full well that Auburn fans have a history of turning on their own whenever they feel they aren't meeting expectations and making those expectations increasingly more difficult to achieve when they are. They also have a worse habit of comparing themselves to the football machine across the state and judging their success based on that.

An AU coach is usually on the list of "hot seat" coaches...no matter who he is.  Tubs was there about half his career too.....same reason as Gus....losing games he was not supposed to lose. ...and Chiz and Bowden .....what can you say ?  flamed out in a season. 

Some folks say AU is like every other school in that regard.....I think not. 

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

A choke job? Really? That was a game against equally matched teams and the ball bounced their way.

That's a stretch. We had 2 very capable teams who had a shot. One got to the game and came a handful of seconds against closing the deal but fell to a very talented team lead by the QB of the Tampa Bay Buccaneer, in part because of inexplicable things like a defender pulling a hammy on a kick-off, leaving a lane open. The other succumbed to injuries and a limited offensive line after achieving some amazing things.

Here's the reality, any hot seat list Gus is on is there because the people writing the list know full well that Auburn fans have a history of turning on their own whenever they feel they aren't meeting expectations and making those expectations increasingly more difficult to achieve when they are. They also have a worse habit of comparing themselves to the football machine across the state and judging their success based on that.

I'd argue that we were superior than FSU and we let off the gas. We could have racked up the score but instead we went too conservative.

I don't give Gus an out with injuries against the pups in round 2. The entire offense shouldn't become inept because of a dinged up running back. His stubborn attitude and weird decision to keep shoving Pettway onto the field while hobbling made no sense. We had plenty other backs that could have been developed throughout the season better.

There is nothing wrong with having high expectations. (1-4) in bowl games is not pretty and Gus' offense has become oddly plain and predictable. Without coach Steele making the defense what it is we would have a very different record in both 2016 and 2017. We haven't ever had consistency at Auburn in the way that some of the bigger programs seem to have. Simply put, Gus has been out coached and a lot of important games. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

An AU coach is usually on the list of "hot seat" coaches...no matter who he is.  Tubs was there about half his career too.....same reason as Gus....losing games he was not supposed to lose. ...and Chiz and Bowden .....what can you say ?  flamed out in a season. 

Some folks say AU is like every other school in that regard.....I think not. 

5 coaches since 1980. Decided to look around. 

Ohio State- 5
Oklahoma- 6
Michigan- 6
Notre Dame- 6 (not counting O'Leary)
Miami- 8
USC- 9 (I think? Hard to read the wiki)
Nebraska- 7
Georgia- 5
LSU- 8
bama- LOL. Man, that Forehead/Franchione/Price/Shula run was fun. 

We are fine now that we don't let non-football staff run defensive meetings. 

Back to Steele.  I just don’t see him taking a HC job at this point in his life.  I think he finishes his career at Auburn.  

Archived