Gus is ranked 16th on the hot seat

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Good point. Gene Chizik gets paid pretty good for being fired. Hard for me to feel too bad.

53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True but as I've said before, Charlie Weiss is my all time hero.....three big "buy outs" all paying him at the same time not to coach. 

Nobody even comes close to that. :)   Notre Dame, Kansas and Florida....you would think that at least one of them would have known better....

Weiss 'out-schemed' all three schools.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

Weiss 'out-schemed' all three schools.

In more ways than one....and notice that Belichick did not try to get him back...

On 5/7/2018 at 8:24 AM, Zeek said:

What would AUfamily be without the Gus Malzahn debate?

2013 - (12-2) idiotic loss to LSU on the road and a choke job against Florida State costing us a national championship. Yes, it was nice just to make it to the NC and to win a SECC but it's equally frustrating knowing that you were so close and so capable.

That wasn't even remotely close to a choke job.  It was unfortunate that our defense couldn't hold them on the final drive but to call a 34-31 loss a choke job is just patently ridiculous.   FSU was just fortunate to have the ball last.  We have the ball last, and we probably score and win too.   You want to see a choke job, look at Notre Dame's performance in the National Title game in 2012 or Ohio State in 2007. 

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

That wasn't even remotely close to a choke job.  It was unfortunate that our defense couldn't hold them on the final drive but to call a 34-31 loss a choke job is just patently ridiculous.   FSU was just fortunate to have the ball last.  We have the ball last, and we probably score and win too.   You want to see a choke job, look at Notre Dame's performance in the National Title game in 2012 or Ohio State in 2007. 

I guess technically speaking both could be considered a choke. We definitely choked away a commanding lead and ND choked at the biggest stage. There it is settled 

On 5/7/2018 at 3:37 PM, DAG said:

Yeah I unfortunately can’t think of any. I guess the Iowa coach is the closest right now. Kansas state coach as well. I feel like you almost have to be at a lower lever tier school for that to happen or a school who produces average to decent results for that loyalty to be there. Dan Mullen could’ve been a lifer at MSU in my eyes. I also believe Gus could’ve been a lifer at Arkansas if he would’ve taken their deal. You just don’t see that loyalty anymore. Everyone is always looking for the next big thing this day and age.

This conference has a brand they have to uphold, the income is better than in the history of the SEC.  When programs pay these hefty salaries, they expect the HC to put a winning product on the field.  Programs want hardware for the millions they pour into their teams.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:34 AM, McLoofus said:

5 coaches since 1980. Decided to look around. 

Ohio State- 5
Oklahoma- 6
Michigan- 6
Notre Dame- 6 (not counting O'Leary)
Miami- 8
USC- 9 (I think? Hard to read the wiki)
Nebraska- 7
Georgia- 5
LSU- 8
bama- LOL. Man, that Forehead/Franchione/Price/Shula run was fun. 

We are fine now that we don't let non-football staff run defensive meetings. 

Interesting thing about that list:

Ohio State - 2012 Probation. Bowl Ban, Scholarship Reduction. Tressel gets 5 year show clause.

Oklahoma - 1988 3 Years Probation. 2 Year bowl Ban. 1 Year TV ban. Recruiting and Scholarship Reductions. Switzer resigns. 2007 Forfeit the 2005 season (including the 1 bowl win during their 1-5 run). Lose scholarships and put on probation till 2010.

Michigan - 2010 3 Years Probation for Practice Rules Violations.

Notre Dame - 1 Year Probation. Vacate wins of 2012 and 2013 season for academic fraud.

Miami - 1981 2 year Bowl Ban, 2 years probation for improper benefits to athletes.  1995 3 years probation, one year bowl ban, scholarship reductions for financial aid and benefits (multiple sports involved). 2013 Miami previously imposed self bow ban ( including title game) but still gets 3 years probation for entire athletic department and scholarship reductions.

USC - 2010 4 years probation. Vacate 14 wins, which included two NC games, 2 year bowl ban, loss of 30 scholarships.

Nebraska - 2012 Entire athletic department gets 2 year probation for book scandal.

Georgia - 1985 Football receives one year probation and scholarship reductions for impermissible benefits. 1997 Two years probation, scholarship reduction.

LSU - 2011 One year probation and scholarship losses. Plus the self imposed actions in 2001 with the out of court settlement occurring later to the instructors for academic fraud in the football program.

Alabama - So 95,  2002 with 5 years and bans, then 2007 the entire athletic department gets hit. Most know these.

On 5/7/2018 at 3:08 PM, AU64 said:

if you aren't keeping up with expectations, a vocal minority is ALWAYS loudly calling for your head.

Recall a coach explaining that....think maybe about Richt......if a coach hangs around a school long enough almost no matter how well he does, each year a few more people become disenchanted with him over something...a game he lost, a player he did not sign or whatever.....but anyway.....it adds up and pretty soon it's a pretty big number. ...and out he goes. 

Les Miles discussed this.

2 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Interesting thing about that list:

Ohio State - 2012 Probation. Bowl Ban, Scholarship Reduction. Tressel gets 5 year show clause.

Oklahoma - 1988 3 Years Probation. 2 Year bowl Ban. 1 Year TV ban. Recruiting and Scholarship Reductions. Switzer resigns. 2007 Forfeit the 2005 season (including the 1 bowl win during their 1-5 run). Lose scholarships and put on probation till 2010.

Michigan - 2010 3 Years Probation for Practice Rules Violations.

Notre Dame - 1 Year Probation. Vacate wins of 2012 and 2013 season for academic fraud.

Miami - 1981 2 year Bowl Ban, 2 years probation for improper benefits to athletes.  1995 3 years probation, one year bowl ban, scholarship reductions for financial aid and benefits (multiple sports involved). 2013 Miami previously imposed self bow ban ( including title game) but still gets 3 years probation for entire athletic department and scholarship reductions.

USC - 2010 4 years probation. Vacate 14 wins, which included two NC games, 2 year bowl ban, loss of 30 scholarships.

Nebraska - 2012 Entire athletic department gets 2 year probation for book scandal.

Georgia - 1985 Football receives one year probation and scholarship reductions for impermissible benefits. 1997 Two years probation, scholarship reduction.

LSU - 2011 One year probation and scholarship losses. Plus the self imposed actions in 2001 with the out of court settlement occurring later to the instructors for academic fraud in the football program.

Alabama - So 95,  2002 with 5 years and bans, then 2007 the entire athletic department gets hit. Most know these.

Remind me - 

Have we been on probation >1980?

On 5/10/2018 at 2:54 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

Remind me - 

Have we been on probation >1980?

I was hoping someone would catch that. We lost a SEC championship cause of it. My question is that with high expectations do these programs endanger themselves and actually lose out on opportunities? For the majority it has had an impact, and for one it has done absolutely nothing to them.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:34 PM, ToomersStreet said:

Well UT was interested before they fired their AD.................

UT was desperate after so many turned them down. Also, there were some who speculated UT's courting of Steele as HC was only done to set him up as vetted candidate to be DC for someone else, not HC.

On 5/6/2018 at 9:19 PM, AidiAU said:

Why did I think that Steele would retire at AU? Is he not close to retirement age? His brother still works here, right? 

He will. Steele isn't going anywhere. 

17 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Games like the LSU game last year is why Gus stays on the hot seat. 

Yep. Will be a long time til I can swallow that pill. It cost us a playoff berth.

47 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Games like the LSU game last year is why Gus stays on the hot seat. 

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yep. Will be a long time til I can swallow that pill. It cost us a playoff berth.

That should be the 2018 Team Slogan: 

"2018 - NO BRAIN FARTS = PLAYOFFS BABY!!"

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

You're not swallowing that pill and no one can blame you for it.

IMG_1187.JPG

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

That should be the 2018 Team Slogan: 

"2018 - NO BRAIN FARTS = PLAYOFFS BABY!!"

Kinda hard to have that slogan with Gus as the HC.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Kinda hard to have that slogan with Gus as the HC.

100% in agreement.

I'm actually surprised at some of the top tier posters *cough* like you *cough*....those "in the know".... who seemed resigned, along with the rest of us skeptics that it's so hard to be Rah-Rah knowing in the back of our minds, who's running the show.

52 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

100% in agreement.

I'm actually surprised at some of the top tier posters *cough* like you *cough*....those "in the know".... who seemed resigned, along with the rest of us skeptics that it's so hard to be Rah-Rah knowing in the back of our minds, who's running the show.

Sheesh you nailed it. You can only break my heart so many times before I stop running back to someone.

In this instance, "running back to someone" is Gus. Not AU football.

The fact that we most likely have had the most talented roster from top to bottom in my lifetime only exasperates my feeling. Good enough to beat the national title game participants -- not good enough to hold off ED BLEEPING ORGERON WHEN HE SPOTS YOU 20 damn POINTS!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Listen, Michigan has lost 3 straight to their rival in tOSU, OU choked away a game against UGA leading by two scores at half, Nick Saban with a team full of five star players, elite coaches , the greatest of water boys, the brightest trainers and world acclaim nutritionist could not beat us at Jordan- Hare. Not to mention Kirby Smart lost in the national championship game. 

- Spin-zone DAG

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Listen, Michigan has lost 3 straight to their rival in tOSU, OU choked away a game against UGA leading by two scores at half, Nick Saban with a team full of five star players, elite coaches , the greatest of water boys, the brightest trainers and world acclaim nutritionist could not beat us at Jordan- Hare. Not to mention Kirby Smart lost in the national championship game. 

- Spin-zone DAG

6bbd4575-7087-4e40-a1a5-42ccf7fa87fb

You left out the great Dr Kevin Elko, whose motivational efforts were all for naught in Jordan Hare as well. Kidding and spinning aside Gus seems to be two coaches in one. Now if only we could figure out how to keep bad Gus at home and just have good Gus show up on Saturday. 

20 minutes ago, gr82be said:

You left out the great Dr Kevin Elko, whose motivational efforts were all for naught in Jordan Hare as well. Kidding and spinning aside Gus seems to be two coaches in one. Now if only we could figure out how to keep bad Gus at home and just have good Gus show up on Saturday. 

Hahaha!  It's all good, Elko still got his NC ring  - placed prominently on his credenza.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Sheesh you nailed it. You can only break my heart so many times before I stop running back to someone.

In this instance, "running back to someone" is Gus. Not AU football.

The fact that we most likely have had the most talented roster from top to bottom in my lifetime only exasperates my feeling. Good enough to beat the national title game participants -- not good enough to hold off ED BLEEPING ORGERON WHEN HE SPOTS YOU 20 damn POINTS!!!!!!

giphy.gif

I've recently changed my feeling on the Washington game and felt that the team can possibly win by 15+. Only thing that holds me back is the game plan and coaching. I think that the team will be up for it. Guys like Derrrick and Javaris are so motivated to avenge last year. It's asking a lot to keep bama out of the SECCG twice but this team can and should.

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Only thing that holds me back is the game plan and coaching.

Said by every fan, analyst, and prognosticator in the country.

Archived