Holy Cow! Copperhead in Laundry hamper

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Little magnetized holder I noticed on our refrigerator. Wife forgets where she got it.

IMG_0145.JPG

I have noted official (std, big, yellow diamonds w./ silhouette) Bear-Crossing signs on US - HWY 43 (though I think it may be some sort of connivance with Leroy HS?).

Stay safe:

gKipoyy.jpg

• Haha 3

On 6/25/2018 at 12:42 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

Probably sufficiently old and familiar that I can post in a format that I've come to call Joke Jeopardy.

Punch line = But I don't need to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun you.

Oldie but goody.

I heard a true variation: 

A few of our company executives were going to Alaska to fish for Salmon in an area frequented by Grizzlies.  On the advice of their guide, they were shopping for (large) revolvers to carry, just in case.  Tom was holding a .44 magnum and said to the sales clerk, "you know, this thing is heavy.  Do you have something smaller, like maybe a .22?

Our VP of sales snorted and said, a .22 is not going to stop a bear!

Tom said, all it has to stop is you.

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1

Yet another snake story

Well, this will probably cause suspicion I am making these stories up, but last night I was preparing to grill a couple of steaks. I have one of those small "Weber Q" gas grills really meant for tailgating.  It has a form-fitted cover which I removed only to find a 2 ft King snake underneath. 

I spent the next few minutes trying to get it out of, and from underneath the grill.  It kept balling up into a tight sphere about the size of a grapefruit.  I told my wife to see if she could lure it to stick it's neck out so I could grab it behind the head.  She stuck her hand near and it promptly bit her but didn't draw blood. (My wife is pretty gutsy when it comes to snakes.)

Anyway, we finally got it to drop off the grill table on to a tile floor. It was trying to escape but having trouble getting traction on the tile.  I swished it out until it met our wooden deck and it shot across and over the edge.

King snakes are fairly rare - they are actually protected in Georgia as an endangered species.  This is the first live one we have seen on our property (we once found a small dead one that had been run over in our driveway.:()   T

There are two different kinds of King snake in our area - the black king snake and the Eastern king snake.  This one looked to be the Eastern king snake (see below) or maybe a cross between the two.  It had the distinct chain pattern but it was thin and not very pronounced.

species photo

(stock photo)

Anyway , we are delighted to have one around the house. Hopefully it will help to keep the Copperhead population down. ;D

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yet another snake story

Well, this will probably cause suspicion I am making these stories up, but last night I was preparing to grill a couple of steaks. I have one of those small "Weber Q" gas grills really meant for tailgating.  It has a form-fitted cover which I removed only to find a 2 ft King snake underneath. 

I spent the next few minutes trying to get it out of, and from underneath the grill.  It kept balling up into a tight sphere about the size of a grapefruit.  I told my wife to see if she could lure it to stick it's neck out so I could grab it behind the head.  She stuck her hand near and it promptly bit her but didn't draw blood. (My wife is pretty gutsy when it comes to snakes.)

Anyway, we finally got it to drop off the grill table on to a tile floor. It was trying to escape but having trouble getting traction on the tile.  I swished it out until it met our wooden deck and it shot across and over the edge.

King snakes are fairly rare - they are actually protected in Georgia as an endangered species.  This is the first live one we have seen on our property (we once found a small dead one that had been run over in our driveway.:()   T

here are two different kinds of King snake in our area - the black king snake and the Eastern king snake.  This one looked to be the Eastern king snake (see below) or maybe a cross between the two.  It had the distinct chain pattern but it was thin and not very pronounced.

species photo

Anyway , we are delighted to have one around the house. Hopefully it will help to keep the Copperhead population down. ;D

and mice as well? One might be tempted to try to arrange for a boarder in the laundry room.

On 6/27/2018 at 6:13 PM, aujeff11 said:

Daaaaaaammmmmn

look at how long that body is under water.

Banded watersnake.  Harmless but can be feisty. 

That does look like a very large example. The largest one ever recorded was a Florida subspecies at a little over 5 ft.

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Beautiful animal. 

Yes it is.

But to be clear, that's not my photo, it's a stock photo.  I should have labeled it.

8 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

and mice as well? One might be tempted to try to arrange for a boarder in the laundry room.

I am not sure I'd have to arrange it, but I wouldn't be opposed if the dogs ignored it.  Presumably, if it lived long enough to get big, I'd get used to suddenly seeing it.  Probably no more house guests though.

Reminds me of the pet gecko that lived under the refrigerator in my in-laws kitchen. It preyed on roaches (we're talking South Florida).  The poo it left would simply dry up into powder that could be vacuumed.  Organic pest control at its finest. ;D

• Like 2

10 pages of snake stories and I will tell you, I am more scared of the snakes, spiders and crazy looking bugs in the jungles of Thailand than when I was bear hunting in Alaska, and I came wwaayyy to close to a grizzly by accident one time. 

I do hate water moccasins, they seem to have a “oh hey let’s go visit him and get some lunch money” attitude when I’m around. 

By the way there are 2 seasons of mosquitoes in AK. The first season is the big slow mosquitoes “The Bombers” and the are not bad because there slow, big and not so plentiful. The second season comes about 2 months after the 1st. Theses are “The fighters”, these guys are small, fast and are in huge numbers and can make life miserable. Let’s just say if your out hunting moose and you run out of “Deet”, that’s it time to go home. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

10 pages of snake stories and I will tell you, I am more scared of the snakes, spiders and crazy looking bugs in the jungles of Thailand than when I was bear hunting in Alaska, and I came wwaayyy to close to a grizzly by accident one time. 

I do hate water moccasins, they seem to have a “oh hey let’s go visit him and get some lunch money” attitude when I’m around. 

By the way there are 2 seasons of mosquitoes in AK. The first season is the big slow mosquitoes “The Bombers” and the are not bad because there slow, big and not so plentiful. The second season comes about 2 months after the 1st. Theses are “The fighters”, these guys are small, fast and are in huge numbers and can make life miserable. Let’s just say if your out hunting moose and you run out of “Deet”, that’s it time to go home. 

I love Deet

On 6/29/2018 at 10:20 AM, homersapien said:

Oldie but goody.

I heard a true variation: 

A few of our company executives were going to Alaska to fish for Salmon in an area frequented by Grizzlies.  On the advice of their guide, they were shopping for (large) revolvers to carry, just in case.  Tom was holding a .44 magnum and said to the sales clerk, "you know, this thing is heavy.  Do you have something smaller, like maybe a .22?

Our VP of sales snorted and said, a .22 is not going to stop a bear!

Tom said, all it has to stop is you.

I hope that you, as the OP here, have not been offended by the OT drift your thread has often taken. I'd very much like to extend that drift, sticking to the old-joke path, but wandering further, to other animals, and into the elephant-joke genre. It was a big thing in my childhood, but my children heard few from anyone but me, and it may well not still be a thing at all. For any not familiar, jokes were generally in riddle format, and often depended upon some level of a play on words. My favorite was,

"What's gray and comes in quarts?"

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, homersapien said:

Banded watersnake.  Harmless but can be feisty. 

That does look like a very large example. The largest one ever recorded was a Florida subspecies at a little over 5 ft.

Snake is trying to nudge your ball in bounds?

On 6/30/2018 at 10:35 AM, AlaskanFAN said:

10 pages of snake stories and I will tell you, I am more scared of the snakes, spiders and crazy looking bugs

Spiders for me.

I have told my wife... I'll take a bullet for you, I'll fight off a guy with a knife for you, I'll try and save you from on-coming traffic.  But if somebody throws a spider at you?  You're on your own!!!

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

I hope that you, as the OP here, have not been offended by the OT drift your thread has often taken. I'd very much like to extend that drift, sticking to the old-joke path, but wandering further, to other animals, and into the elephant-joke genre. It was a big thing in my childhood, but my children heard few from anyone but me, and it may well not still be a thing at all. For any not familiar, jokes were generally in riddle format, and often depended upon some level of a play on words. My favorite was,

"What's gray and comes in quarts?"

Don't know, but it sounds disgusting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Don't know, but it sounds disgusting.

Shoot! Really thought I'd telegraphed that one sufficiently, but

I'm still trying to master comedic timing in text format.

An elephant.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Spiders for me.

I have told my wife... I'll take a bullet for you, I'll fight off a guy with a knife for you, I'll try and save you from on-coming traffic.  But if somebody throws a spider at you?  You're on your own!!!

I never had the fear of spiders as so many of my friends share........really cant explain it as they are stealthy and dangerous? 

Biggest fear is still heights.

Edited by kevon67
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kevon67 said:

I never had the fear of spiders as so many of my friends share........really cant explain it as they are stealthy and dangerous? 

Biggest fear is still heights.

TBH, I'm gaining an increased wariness of heights as my strength wanes and my twitch muscles (especially in the toes) lose twitchiness.

As the summer goes on, I'll show you some absolutely beautiful (if not, in the least,pretty) spiders.

Uh oh.

My wife was letting our elderly dog out this morning and saw a small bear cub. It wasn't big enough to be on it's own, but she didn't see the mother.

This is a little concerning.  It's one thing to have a grown bear in the area, but something else altogether to have a sow with a small cub.

Fortunately, she was able to grab our dog before he went out.  He's the one who will chase a bear.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Not to change the subject but,

Whoopee!!  I'm spending a 'bachelor' thanksgiving on the mountain. Sent my wife to Leeds on the train to represent us for the family gathering. (I went down earlier for the TAM game.) 

Drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale while listening to Jimmie Dale Gilmore at concert volume on my stereo! (Something my wife would not abide.)  Dogs are laying in their beds in front of the wood stove.

On my way into town today , I saw what appears to be "our" bear again. (We saw the same bear only a couple of days ago.)  Our place is undoubtedly only a part of it's range, but it seems to like it here.  Also ran across a large flock of wild turkeys a couple of days ago.

This makes me very happy.  I am putting in a food plot for wildlife this spring.  Need to research what's good for bears.

Life is good.

War Eagle!

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

Not to change the subject but,

Whoopee!!  I'm spending a 'bachelor' thanksgiving on the mountain. Sent my wife to Leeds on the train to represent us for the family gathering. (I went down earlier for the TAM game.) 

Drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale while listening to Jimmie Dale Gilmore at concert volume on my stereo! (Something my wife would not abide.)  Dogs are laying in their beds in front of the wood stove.

On my way into town today , I saw what appears to be "our" bear again. (We saw the same bear only a couple of days ago.)  Our place is undoubtedly only a part of it's range, but it seems to like it here.  Also ran across a large flock of wild turkeys a couple of days ago.

This makes me very happy.  I am putting in a food plot for wildlife this spring.  Need to research what's good for bears.

Life is good.

War Eagle!

Happy Thanksgiving👍.........enjoy your freedom friend............pictures homer sliding across floor Tom Cruise style.😂

Edited by kevon67
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2018 at 6:35 AM, kevon67 said:

Happy Thanksgiving👍.........enjoy your freedom friend............pictures homer sliding across floor Tom Cruise style.😂

That could be scary

• Like 2

• 3 months later...