Holy Cow! Copperhead in Laundry hamper

Just read this thread.  What a way to start my day. 

I used to fish quite a bit and have had snakes try to get in my boat a bunch of times. 

My head will be on a swivel all day, especially around the clothes hamper!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Bet you still do not jump in the water and swim them faux?

Wouldn't want them in my waders either.

ETA - Usually see them at a good distance from my inner-tube vantage, Don't dash for shore, but do perk up and watch them.

Edited by AUld fAUx@
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Now, we live in the forest, two miles to the nearest neighbor and two miles to a paved road. Kill an average of five venomous snakes around the house and barn per year. This year may end up being above average, as I've already killed one copperhead and one cottonmouth. We leave the harmless snakes alone. Our dogs get vaccinated with rattlesnake vaccine annually, but they still swell up and have a bad day when bitten. One outside dog has been hit twice and seems to have learned. The other one has suffered three bites and still goes after the snakes. We keep a 22 pistol loaded with rat shot on the porch and I keep another 22 with rat shot in the tractor's tool box. Living out like this has it's rewards, but you have a few drawbacks too.

If I had to guess, I'd say the snake in the hamper was in that bundle of clothes.

While up in coastal, NC, our beagle (Barney) took two copperhead bites one summer. 1st was in his cheek. 2nd was his hind leg. They can be taught.

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

Deer flies?

Related. Yellow flies, deer flies and horseflies are all biting flies (not stingers). Souped up mosquitos.

2 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Related. Yellow flies, deer flies and horseflies are all biting flies (not stingers). Souped up mosquitos.

...that love bald heads. And dangit do they leave a knotty welp.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

1st yellow-fly bite swells up like a basketball, and itches so bad I prefer the pain of scratching the thing off. 2nd and subsequent bites not so bad. Tobacco smoke is not a perfect repellant, but helps a good bit.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

13 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Farging bastages. 

I have found horseflies to be the most aggressive of the lot, aside from maybe yellowjackets. Can't count how many times I've fully submerged myself at the lake and held my breath as long as possible to avoid a horsefly, only for the sumbyatch to be waiting for me when I came back up. 

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

I could be wrong, I think the ones we have on the coast are more yellow in color than the more northern variety. Usually attack several at a time with lighting speed. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Amen........which is why I wear a cap or booney outdoors........that and the fact the sun seems to be much hotter than 30 years ago or my burn resistance has decreased?

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Farging bastages. 

I have found horseflies to be the most aggressive of the lot, aside from maybe yellowjackets. Can't count how many times I've fully submerged myself at the lake and held my breath as long as possible to avoid a horsefly, only for the sumbyatch to be waiting for me when I came back up. 

The yellowjackets (vs yellow flies), however, are stinging wasps, aggressive as hell, hurt like hell, and are mob-swarmers.

Horseflies are naggingly persistent.ETA - even if you dunk, and swim underwater to 20-30' away, they're patrolling and looking for you.

Edited by AUld fAUx@
  • Like 1

Just now, AUld fAUx@ said:

The yellowjackets (vs yellow flies), however, are stinging wasps, aggressive as hell, hurt like hell, and are mob-swarmers.

Horseflies are naggingly persistent.

Had some follow me in my house one day. One of them stung my wife. She was a good sport about it. I was not. The lawn mower was left thirsty, as the contents of my gas can were used as @Tiger Refuge prescribed. I took great pleasure in that act, even if ultimately it proved only marginally effective. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Image result for preach gif

@alexava, I've become allergic to them, too. Got popped a couple years ago and had to drive myself to the emergency room. When I walked in they pushed me to the front of the line. The steroid shot gave me an awesome buzz but I do not wish to repeat the experience. Should probably seek out an epi pen. 

Fire ants ———— me up too! 

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

@kevon67this is after my son put six .22 rounds in him and severed his head with a machete. 3 head shots! Pretty good for a 12 year old knuckle head with a single action pistol. 

I had just walked right over this thing. No idea why it didn’t bite me. Thank god Alex saw it. It was coiled up with head up about 8” ready to launch. We were clearing out a trail into a spot we duck hunt. The only reason Alex went with me is I let him holster the .22. He wasn’t very long but at least as fat as my wrist. 

FA925421-E0FC-4955-9EDF-86993358F2B4.jpeg

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

Fire ants ———— me up too! 

Teamwork!

Ants down around your ankles will hold back 'til they "hear" the (pheromone) shout that the ants up amongst your neck and earlobes are ready, set...

• Like 2

Teamwork!

Ants down around your ankles will hold back 'til they "hear" the (pheromone) shout that the ants up amongst your neck and earlobes are ready, set...

Then I’m on my way to the Doc in the box! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Apparently, they've tracked fire-ant intro into US to a banana boat docking at Port of Mobile. Really, really dense infestations had to await a mutation (TX) that convinces queens to allow others within close proximity. That wave is echoing back our way.

Stay safe.

• Sad 1

I have learned to despise NoSeeUms. I put traps out now to control them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Teamwork!

Ah, yes. The bugler.

9 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I have learned to despise NoSeeUms. I put traps out now to control them. 

was it a difficult lesson?

ETA - Sorry, no lack of sympathy intended. Cigarette smoke holds them at bay.

Edited by AUld fAUx@

was it a difficult lesson? 

They were infrequently dealt with in my formative years. First spring after buying my first home, I became much more familiar with them.

3 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

While up in coastal, NC, our beagle (Barney) took two copperhead bites one summer. 1st was in his cheek. 2nd was his hind leg. They can be taught.

Peaches (my pit bull) never did.  She didn't like those things!

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Hey that's an old SNL skit?