OL Recruiting Question

LKEEL75

There have been many posts regarding our need for OL this year.  I did not realize just how desperate we could seriously be until I pulled the depth chart and looked at it.  (Note: I added freshmen under RG and GT under RT just for show)  We will likely have RS-JR starting at 4 of the 5 spots.  I know that some of these guys need a lot of work before being draft ready for 2019, but more and more are leaving early for NFL draft.  We could be in serious trouble of multiple of the guys decided to leave early.  I mean we could go into 2019 with all 5 starting OL back or we could go into it with 1 of the 5 returning.  That has to be a hard sell to recruits.  Now I understand that it is very unlikely that all the RS-JRs leave for NFL.  Grimes would have to be HOF coach to get them all to that level in one year.  But kids don't always leave because they are able.  Some times it is just for the potential of being drafted.  So my question is: how do you recruit kids on the potential of playing time but only if we are unlucky enough to have everyone leave?

LEFT TACKLE
Prince Tega Wanogho Jr., redshirt-junior
Bailey Sharp, redshirt-junior
Prince Michael Sammons, redshirt-sophomore

LEFT GUARD
Marquel Harrell, redshirt-junior
Brodarious Hamm, redshirt-freshman (injured knee on A-Day)
Tyler Carr, redshirt-junior

CENTER
Kaleb Kim, redshirt-junior (sprained ankle during second scrimmage) OR
Nick Brahms, redshirt-freshman (out with broken leg)

Tucker Brown, senior

RIGHT GUARD
Mike Horton, redshirt-junior
Tashawn Manning, redshirt-freshman
Jalil Irvin, freshman
Cameron Stutts, freshman

RIGHT TACKLE
Austin Troxell, redshirt-freshman OR
Calvin Ashley, redshirt-freshman
Prince Michael Sammons, redshirt-sophomore
Jack Driscol, GT redshirt-junior

11 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

So my question is: how do you recruit kids on the potential of playing time but only if we are unlucky enough to have everyone leave?

"Everyone is gone year after next no matter what." I don't think many OLs genuinely expect to start year 1.

We can sell early PT better than most schools, if not immediate. 

I do agree that it is relatively rare for a true freshmen OL to start.  It certainly does happen, but usually due to no other choice.  I would think a lot of times, especially in the SEC, the freshmen OL arrives and practices against the first or second string DL and says "Yeah I definitely need more practice."  You can still say you will get every opportunity to start, and I truly believe the coaches are telling the truth when they pitch this.  All you can do is give them the opportunity.  After that it is the coaches decision to put the best players out there.

I am not worried about any of our players leaving early on the O-line next year. 3 of our tackles are redshirt freshman or sophomores this year and we have some young guys at guard or center. That said  we probably need 2 OT types and 2 interior types every year.  The reason even talented Freshman don't play is that O-Line is one of the most difficult positions to learn blocking techniques reading defense learning the skill set of the players around you. There are many very good O-linemen who redshirt 1st year play sparingly the second year and are not ready to start till the 3rd year and in some cases the 4th year.

If we can do 2 OT and 2 interior every year we can let them mature at the rate that fits the player best.

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

So my question is: how do you recruit kids on the potential of playing time but only if we are unlucky enough to have everyone leave?

You simply can't use that angle unless your Saban or Smart until the spots come open or near to come open. I also think it's of little consequence as Driscoll is the only one on the OL who would have a remote possibility of leaving for the draft from this OL after this season. There's a greater chance of losing some to attrition.

The answer to your question is that you play to their ego. We have no stars on our O-Line, so you sell them on the fact that they have the opportunity to come in and prove that they are the best and take the job from day-1, if they can. You can even stoke them a little by saying "5-star Ashley couldn't do it. Can you?". The best football players love to prove themselves.

Otherwise, the scheme sells itself to O-linemen. Blocking for a 1000 yard back every year, and now a 3,000 yard passer. Contending for championships annually. None of that is a hard sell.

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The answer to your question is that you play to their ego. We have no stars on our O-Line, so you sell them on the fact that they have the opportunity to come in and prove that they are the best and take the job from day-1, if they can. You can even stoke them a little by saying "5-star Ashley couldn't do it. Can you?". The best football players love to prove themselves.

Otherwise, the scheme sells itself to O-linemen. Blocking for a 1000 yard back every year, and now a 3,000 yard passer. Contending for championships annually. None of that is a hard sell.

"We want to reestablish Auburn's identity as a national force along the offensive line.  We need you to be the key, the answer, to making that happen.  We're going to build a heck of a line with or without you; but we think you can take us to the next level...and NFL teams will take notice."

That's where I'd start...then at some point I'd show them the cash money, girls, and lambos.

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

You simply can't use that angle unless your Saban or Smart until the spots come open or near to come open. I also think it's of little consequence as Driscoll is the only one on the OL who would have a remote possibility of leaving for the draft from this OL after this season. There's a greater chance of losing some to attrition.

I could see Horton  MAYBE leaving, if he had good year and got a good grade from the scouts.

1 minute ago, kd4au said:

I could see Horton  MAYBE leaving, if he had good year and got a good grade from the scouts.

As E has said. The grad transfer would be the only one to leave for the NFL after this year. None of the others will get a look. If any go, Ashley, they would transfer. 

Blue chip high school o linemen frequently redshirt when entering top programs - there simply aren't many 18 yos that big with top tier college strength, speed AND technique. Calvin Ashley is just one of many examples. The prospect of having to learn, grow and mature behind a bunch of starters for a year is not heresy in recruiting the o line positions.

:poke:

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

"We want to reestablish Auburn's identity as a national force along the offensive line.  We need you to be the key, the answer, to making that happen.  We're going to build a heck of a line with or without you; but we think you can take us to the next level...and NFL teams will take notice."

That's where I'd start...then at some point I'd show them the cash money, girls, and lambos.

Are you on the correct website?

You realize this isn't the REC are Us site right?

3 hours ago, AUGoo said:

:poke:

Are you on the correct website?

You realize this isn't the REC are Us site right?

Yeah, we use beamers not lambos.

On 5/8/2018 at 3:26 PM, AUatHeart said:

An i8, to be precise... but it's only for rides.  

I often wonder what that meeting was like with the PR person who told Gus that buying an i8 would be good for recruiting. My guess is Gus's initial response was "A what?"

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

An i8, to be precise... but it's only for rides.  

I often wonder what that meeting was like with the PR person who told Gus that buying an i8 would be good for recruiting. My guess is Gus's initial response was "A what?"

On 5/8/2018 at 4:26 PM, AUatHeart said:

Sorry fellas, I’ve listening to too much Migos lately while bonding w/ my teenage son. “LAMBOS!”

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Sorry fellas, I’ve listening to too much Migos lately while bonding w/ my teenage son. “LAMBOS!”

Kenan Thompson is *perfect* in that. Holy crap. 

• 3 weeks later...

I see where we are looking at some good looking Guard prospects but how are we looking at the OT position in recruiting?  I love the film on the Guards that I have seen but I am getting worried about the OT position and who we have a legit shot with.  Am I missing something or have they just not been brought up lately?  Thanks

45 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I see where we are looking at some good looking Guard prospects but how are we looking at the OT position in recruiting?  I love the film on the Guards that I have seen but I am getting worried about the OT position and who we have a legit shot with.  Am I missing something or have they just not been brought up lately?  Thanks

They haven't been brought up because we are in an evaluation period right now so Grimes is doing a lot of work on trying to find who he likes. When he figures out who he likes that info will not always get to the fans quick. Also it's possible that some of the guys recruit sites list as OGs JB may like some at OT & that info just not gotten to us yet. He has done it before. Lastly some of the OGs were already on AU's radar before JB came back to AU. He apparently likes some so they have stayed on radar.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

They haven't been brought up because we are in an evaluation period right now so Grimes is doing a lot of work on trying to find who he likes. When he figures out who he likes that info will not always get to the fans quick. Also it's possible that some of the guys recruit sites list as OGs JB may like some at OT & that info just not gotten to us yet. He has done it before. Lastly some of the OGs were already on AU's radar before JB came back to AU. He apparently likes some so they have stayed on radar.

Gotcha.  Thanks for the info.

On 5/28/2018 at 1:35 PM, ellitor said:

:cheers:

Cheers!

Pardon the Doc if it has already been said......Will those linemen injured during spring training be ready to go for fall camp? I appreciate this info very much!

14 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Pardon the Doc if it has already been said......Will those linemen injured during spring training be ready to go for fall camp? I appreciate this info very much!

Should be! 

Archived