2019 3* TE Luke Deal commits to AU!!! (5/25/18)

ellitor

1 hour ago, AUtigers2324 said:

What time is this happening today?

Deal's day has come

The three-star tight end from Greenwood, S.C. will announce his commitment between 5:30-6:30 p.m. CT with his finalists being Auburn, Notre Dame, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan and N.C. State.

“Once I commit, I’m done,” Deal said. "My recruitment will be shut off.”

Deal will reveal his decision during a private gathering for his teammates, family and fellow church members.

"I’m going to have my whole football team over, a couple of staff members and a lot of church members and family,” Deal said. “It’s going to be a good time. We’re going to eat and have the big reveal.”

Deal is making his decision after taking all five official visits in the spring, one each to Auburn, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State and N.C. State. He also took numerous unofficial visits to Clemson.

Deal visited Auburn twice during the spring, including his official visit April 27-29.

“Auburn has a real family feel all around campus,” Deal said. “I love coach (Gus) Malzahn and their staff. It’s a real comfortable environment and about family.”

Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and tight ends coach Larry Porter visited Deal on Wednesday. The Tigers have prioritized Deal hoping to add him to the 2019 commitment list that already includes tight end Tyler Fromm

.“Coach Porter is a family man,” Deal said. “He’s the type of guy who would do anything for his players. He treats his players like he treats his family.”

Coaches from N.C. State visited Deal on Monday.

“The first to ever offer me,” Deal said of the Wolfpack. “They’re extremely loyal and extremely real. Their recruiting is not really recruiting, it’s relationships.”

Notre Dame and Ohio State both visited on Tuesday and coaches from Michigan visited on Thursday.

“(Notre Dame’s) tradition, it’s unreal,” Deal said. “It drops your jaw, honestly. And they use the heck of out of their tight ends. I love coach (Chip) Long, too. He’s the man.

“(Michigan’s) tradition is great, too. Coach (Jim) Harbaugh is different, and I love that about him. He’s comfortable in his own shoes, and so is the whole staff.

“(Ohio State coach) Urban Meyer is a brilliant dude. He’s the most competitive coach I’ve been around. He believes in faith, football and family – and nothing else. But that whole program is real cool."

Clemson already had used its two allotted visits before this week, but spoke to Deal on the phone.

“Coach (Dabo) Swinney, he’s incredible,” Deal said. “I take my faith very seriously, and for a guy to express his like that in a business such as this, it’s remarkable. The way he captivates his team – we went to a practice one day and he sat there and talked to them for 45 minutes afterward. Dudes were tired, hot. Nobody took their eyes off him. That speaks measures. It’s Clemson. They have a chance to win the national title every year."

Deal will reveal his decision on Twitter.

"I’m feeling pretty good right now,” Deal said. “Things were stressful there for a little bit, but Friday’s a big day."

Rivals ranks Deal, who is scheduled to graduate in December, the No. 24 tight end in the class and No. 6 overall recruit in South Carolina.

Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

between 5:30-6:30 p.m. CT

Why can't these kids ever knock out their decisions in the mornings? Waiting all day just makes me useless at work a little too nervous/excited throughout the day :bounce:

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

“Once I commit, I’m done,” Deal said. "My recruitment will be shut off.”

Always good to hear getting both of our TE slots done with will/would be awesome! :we:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

I'm guessing he's not picking us based on there being no chatter on here a couple of hours before his commitment time. 

There's no chatter anywhere. The kid has info super tight lipped right now.

• Like 1

Just now, ellitor said:

There's no chatter anywhere. The kid has info super tight lipped right now.

That makes me feel a little better about it. Hope we land him! 

4 picks for AU today including 1s from King Redbeard & Steve Wiltfong who is 1 of the recruiting directors for 247 & usually has good connections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

4 picks for AU today including 1s from King Redbeard & Steve Wiltfong who is 1 of the recruiting directors for 247 & usually has good connections.

so-youre-saying-theres-a-chance-memes-co

• Like 1

So before any good or bad news happens I just have to put a disclaimer to not get to excited if we do land our second TE in this class or get to upset if he chooses somewhere else. Both for the same reason. Until Gus shows me he can actually use a tight end properly as a head coach I will remain MIZZZZZZZZZZOU on the position and our recruitment of it. Now having said all that I do hope he chooses us.! I mean 6 ft 5?! E knows as well as I do.... AND YOU CAN'T TEACH THAT!!! WAR EAGLE!!! Happy 3 day weekend gentlemen. WOOOO!!!!!! LETTTTTTTSSSSSSS GOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Edited by GwillMac6

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

So before any good or bad news happens I just have to put a disclaimer to not get to excited if we do land our second TE in this class or get to upset if we he chooses somewhere else. Both for the same reason. Until Gus shows me he can actually use a tight end properly as a head coach I will remain MIZZZZZZZZZZOU on the position and our recruitment of it. Now having said all that I do hope he chooses us.! I mean 6 ft 5?! E knows as well as I do.... AND YOU CAN'T TEACH THAT!!! WAR EAGLE!!! Happy 3 day weekend gentlemen. WOOOO!!!!!! LETTTTTTTSSSSSSS GOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Gotta have em with the right skillset to use em. We haven't had one with the right skillset that stay his time since CJU, who was no doubt under utilized but was utilized some..

Boom

Edited by AUDub

• Like 1

• ellitor featured and pinned this topic

Sweet!  

OK so 2 solid TEs in this class, Gus and Chip both say TE is a priority and will be utilized more.....now we’ve got the horses, its time to show us!!!

War Eagle Luke!!!!  We got a great deal!

OHHHHHHHHH would you look at that. Larry Porter gets another 4 star recruit. (4 star on 247 own personal rankings and espn. Rivals really drags his composite score down.) That makes me excited about this get because muhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy Larry Porter doing work. WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! all right all right all right.  Just continue to chirp about how he is overrated and doubt him. WAR DAMN LARRY PORTER AND LUKE DEAL!!!!!!! 

woo.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My new big time commitment gif FWIW

Also this was baby GWill when AU scored a TD except in an AU outfit...

baby.gif?w=1000

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1

We’ve recruited well the past few years, but this staff seems to be doing it with an even higher level of urgency. They seem determined to make this class special. WDE!

• Thanks 1