2019 3* TE Luke Deal commits to AU!!! (5/25/18)

ellitor

Deal goes in-depth on commitment to Auburn

By Steve Wiltfong

When Greenwood (SC) Emerald tight end Luke Deal put his head on the pillow Tuesday night, he did so with his mind finally made up that he’d be an Auburn Tiger.

“I owed it to myself to sleep on it one more time and make sure it’s real, and I woke up feeling the same way,” Deal told 247Sports prior to announcing on Friday during a party at his house.

“War Eagle,” he stated.

With that, Auburn beat out the likes of Clemson, Michigan, Notre Dame and N.C. State for the coveted recruit that also held offers from the likes of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Ohio State, LSU, Purdue and USC.

Deal made numerous visits to Auburn including his official the weekend of April 27.

“The overall comfort I had when I was there,” Deal said. “I felt like home when I was there and it still feels like home in my mind. I can see myself playing in that uniform more than the others.”

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite ranks Deal as the nation’s No. 18 tight end while 247Sports bills him a four-star recruit and No. 9 tight end in the land.

“Coach (Gus) Malzahn is the best head coach in the nation,” Deal said. “No doubt in my mind. He’s an awesome coach and an awesome man. I feel like Coach (Larry) Porter is the same way. Coach Porter is great. I’ve always had a great relationship with him and Coach (Chip) Lindsey. All three of those guys. The whole staff is super comfortable. It doesn’t feel like recruiting when I’m with them and that’s why I know it’s my place and its the place I want to be the next four years.”

Deal announced his plans amongst friends and family during a low-key deal at his house. He plans to make a big splash as a do-everything tight end for Malzahn a company, a prospect that has a full tool bag. Deal can play attached to the line of scrimmage where he is most comfortable, but also has the traits to flex out. Auburn also wants to line their tight end up in the backfield.

“They believe I have the ability to do all those things,” Deal said. “They like playing with a fast-tempo offense and I grew up loving Auburn’s offense. I feel like adding a tight end could make a difference in their offense and I feel like I’m ready to make the difference.”

With Deal in the fold Auburn climbs from No. 20 to No. 16 in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

“This is the most exciting moment in my life and there’s no team I’d rather play for than Auburn,” Deal said.

Which is also crazy to him as he grew up a Clemson fan and dreamed for most of his life that he’d play for those Tigers. When they offered they seemed like the program to beat but once Deal started taking visits, he fell in love with Auburn. That affection stayed strong despite Clemson getting the final two visits.

“Clemson is a great program,” Deal said. “And growing up a Clemson fan I always wanted to be a Clemson Tiger but after being on all these visits and trying to find the place for me and opening doors that I never thought of opening before, really it’s home being an Auburn Tiger and I’m proud to say I’m an Auburn Tiger.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

woo.gif

Haha.  Gus Sunday reaction after reading the play call analysis after LSU game. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

Welcome to Auburn.  Now get down to Auburn for Big Cat and help get some big guys to line up next to you!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

He said CGM was the best coach in the country!  I love it man. I think so too, said @toddc while wearing his o&b shades !

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, toddc said:

He said CGM was the best coach in the country!  I love it man. I think so too, said @toddc while wearing his o&b shades !

He also used the "no doubt" line too when saying that. He's solid. ;)

• Haha 1

Great pickup! The future in the TE position is taking a major step up with these two commits!

Edited by Samau

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

My new big time commitment gif FWIW

Also this was baby GWill when AU scored a TD except in an AU outfit...

baby.gif?w=1000

Go Pens.  Ugh the Caps. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

TE recruiting efforts seem to have improved a great Deal, Fromm where it has been in years past. ?

Well done sir...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

TE recruiting efforts seem to have improved a great Deal, Fromm where it has been in years past. ?

KUDOS!

53 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Who would have thought that this Porter guy can recruit a little????

@GwillMac6 & I...Oh & Bird too

6ef03ad7-3c11-448c-81c3-8d17ddd2c73a_tex

2d9ae290-5a28-41bf-8131-3c62dd2f790e_tex

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Now that's a good Deal getting two top TE's in one class. :wareagle::wareagle::wareagle: 

I think both TE's will have the chance to see the field in the same games. I think having 2 good options here puts us in a position of strength. They should push each other too. Great get! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gr82be said:

IMG_1216.GIF

• Like 1

22 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Who would have thought that this Porter guy can recruit a little????

Yeah but can he coach???  Lol.

I will admit I had my doubts and am willing to own up right here and state I was clearly incorrect on Porter. 

BOOM War Eagle

TE recruiting is d.o.n.e done!