Defense has "bloodied the nose" of offense

WFE12

Auburn football’s defense has ‘bloodied nose’ of offense so far in 2018

unnamed-2_xmqvos.jpg
By Justin Ferguson, Auburn Beat Reporter

AUBURN, Ala. — There is only so much you can take away from spring practice. But the top talking point for Auburn football so far this offseason is clear — the Tigers defense has been dominant at the expense of its offensive teammates.

“You can just see them getting more confident and more confident and more confident,” Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton said last month. “To be honest, they bloodied our nose pretty good this spring. There wasn’t many days where we walked off the field and said, ‘Boy, we kicked their butt.’ That didn’t happen.”

Auburn’s defense dominated the first scrimmage of camp by forcing 5 turnovers and plenty more three-and-outs.

When the action was televised during the annual A-Day spring game, the first-team defense took things to a different level. Auburn’s second-team offense finished with negative yards in the first half.

MORE: Why 4-star WR Seth Williams is leaving Alabama’s backyard to play for Auburn

The unit didn’t let up, even after backups rotated in, until a long touchdown run from walk-on running back C.J. Tolbert in the fourth quarter.

“They’ve done that all spring,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said.

Auburn’s defense enters its third season under coordinator Kevin Steele with plenty of momentum. The Tigers finished eighth nationally in yards allowed per play and 11th in points per game in 2017.

Kevin Steele-Auburn football-defensive coordinator
Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele is entering his third season with the program. (Sarah Lundgren/SEC Country)

Although Auburn lost Carlton Davis and Jeff Holland early to the NFL — along with senior leaders Tre’ Williams, Tray Matthews and Stephen Roberts — Steele’s defense looks ready for another top-10 finish. The players believethey can be the best in the country.

“I think it starts with Coach Steele and that staff,” Horton said. “They do a magnificent job of coaching them and motivating them and doing all the things that they do. I think the second thing is they’ve got really good players that now they’ve been in this system for a couple of years.”

Auburn returned the rest of its defensive line outside of Holland. Williams and Holland are the only missing pieces from a front seven that is deep with NFL-caliber talent.

The secondary is in a shuffling phase without Davis, Matthews and Roberts, but it created havoc throughout the first half of offseason practice.

“Our defense is the best in the country,” sophomore quarterback Malik Willis said after A-Day. “No doubt in my mind about it. Going against them every day is just making everybody better.”

MORE: Incoming Auburn RB Shaun Shivers ‘is going to be exceptional’ in space

And the defense didn’t mind proving its strength in spring ball.

“At the end of the day, you don’t ever want to look bad,” junior defensive end Marlon Davidson said. “If I’m going out there and I’m competing, I’m going to compete. I’m not just going to go out there and let somebody beat me. I’m not. That’s our defense. We’re different.”

Other Auburn defenders were quick to point out the Tigers’ offense — which missed several of its top players at different portions of camp — wasn’t a pushover. But they thrived on the confidence they’ve built after two strong years under Steele.

“It’s nothing against the offense,” junior defensive back Javaris Davis said. “It’s just that coach is always preaching, we have to focus on us, do our job, and don’t worry about the opponent that we’re facing. So we just give great effort and everybody plays as one.”

Auburn’s offense should be in a better place when fall camp opens later this year. It’ll have more of its top players back healthy. After all, defenses normally get the upper hand in the spring.

Yet when Auburn’s defense turns its attention to opponents instead of teammates, it expects to see that dominance come back.

“I think because the talent level, the system, the coaching, the effort that they play with, we’re always going to have a chance because teams are going to have trouble scoring on us,” Horton said.

Growing up an Auburn fan, I remember it being about our punch you in the mouth defense. I remember attended the 06 UF game and being in complete awe...I yearn for those days and for that reason I will always lean toward getting back to those roots.

Sure hope the secondary can get to the front 7's level at some point this year. We can say that we legitimately have a top 2 defensive line in the country. We can hang our hat on it. The offense can be elite as well. With our players again having another year in Steele's system and the offense returning a 3,000 yard passer for the first time as well as other weapons this should be the most balanced we've been in years.

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

Growing up an Auburn fan, I remember it being about our punch you in the mouth defense. I remember attended the 06 UF game and being in complete awe...I yearn for those days and for that reason I will always lean toward getting back to those roots.

LSU '06 was the most physical football game I've ever seen.

I don't think we've got the headhunters in the secondary that Tubs always seemed to have, but I think this front 7 is better. 

Can it be that anyone is surprised by this headline? :dunno:

Starting  QB is not practicing , new running backs, one of whom is not 100%, probable starting centers are injured, leading receiver is out, some athletic freshmen are not on campus yet......and on it goes.  If the current shorthanded offense were able to make consecutive first downs against our first team Defense, I would be worried about the coming season. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think we've got the headhunters in the secondary that Tubs always seemed to have, but I think this front 7 is better. 

Those defenses were super physical. I had to go back and just watch some highlights just to get that feeling again. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Those defenses were super physical. I had to go back and just watch some highlights just to get that feeling again. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep...but hardly anyone can play that style now or they are out of the game and will miss half of the next week too.  JMO but the game has changed in that regard....but I think the current players are as tough and physical.....just not so overt perhaps.  

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Yep...but hardly anyone can play that style now or they are out of the game and will miss half of the next week too.  JMO but the game has changed in that regard....but I think the current players are as tough and physical.....just not so overt perhaps.  

So true.

The devil on my one shoulder misses the overt trying to knock the guy out... literally.

...but the Angel on my other shoulder gets it.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Maybe too old school for some but go back to the days of Rocker and Riggens... Offenses may have not been as sophisticated and they really didn't have all these players' safety rules like now but AU's defenses through much of the '80's were men among boys.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Headhunting and being physical are two completely different things. Our guys are starting to get back to that manner of being physical, but they aren't there yet to what the Tub’s defensive front seven was doing. Part of the problem is the offensive of these days. You have to more speed on the field than back in the day making tweener type LBs and stand up DEs more necessary. Still, there are several teams who still are very physical consistently throughout the years even with the change of pace in the game.

36 minutes ago, DAG said:

Headhunting and being physical are two completely different things. Our guys are starting to get back to that manner of being physical, but they aren't there yet to what the Tub’s defensive front seven was doing. Part of the problem is the offensive of these days. You have to more speed on the field than back in the day making tweener type LBs and stand up DEs more necessary. Still, there are several teams who still are very physical consistently throughout the years even with the change of pace in the game.

The Gus Malzahn's of the world changed the game....making immobile defenses vulnerable to speed and misdirection.  Notice that a couple of our LBs were among the players with weight loss over the spring.... hoping to add a little speed to that position they say....

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The Gus Malzahn's of the world changed the game....making immobile defenses vulnerable to speed and misdirection.  Notice that a couple of our LBs were among the players with weight loss over the spring.... hoping to add a little speed to that position they say....

Yep. I was thinking UM and Gus we're definitely ahead of their times in that regard. I mean even to the point that the most resistant of coaches (Saban, I am looking at you) had to conform. 

Not to get too far away from the topic but I remember when the old school football enthusiast would complain about how this took away from the game and how it was a facade haha.

"I think it starts with Coach Steele and that staff,” Horton said. “They do a magnificent job of coaching them and motivating them and doing all the things that they do. I think the second thing is they’ve got really good players that now they’ve been in this system for a couple of years".  Experience is a priceless combination for coaches and players! So happy we have Coach Steele and the defensive staff. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

This, my mom and dad taught me to love Auburn and defense. I remember we always respected LSU because, like us, they might not win but they would hit you in the mouth.

It's been nice watching our defense finally return to its roots. Muschamp and Steele have done an excellent job turning around our defense. Now if the offense clicks this year we'll be set!

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Can it be that anyone is surprised by this headline? :dunno:

Starting  QB is not practicing , new running backs, one of whom is not 100%, probable starting centers are injured, leading receiver is out, some athletic freshmen are not on campus yet......and on it goes.  If the current shorthanded offense were able to make consecutive first downs against our first team Defense, I would be worried about the coming season. 

Tbh I think the same would happen with everyone healthy...We won't know for sure til fall camp though.

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Tbh I think the same would happen with everyone healthy...We won't know for sure til fall camp though.

I'm hoping not....with JS and some good RBs and healthy receivers, I'm thinking our offense will be up to the task with most everyone on the schedule. 

Maybe I'm overly optimistic but having a full SEC season in the bag for Stidham, he should be a much improved QB. ...thinking poise and judgment in particular. 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm hoping not....with JS and some good RBs and healthy receivers, I'm thinking our offense will be up to the task with most everyone on the schedule. 

Maybe I'm overly optimistic but having a full SEC season in the bag for Stidham, he should be a much improved QB. ...thinking poise and judgment in particular. 

I think he will show that he made great strides and it'll start in the first game. He will make us forget about his last two performances. Maybe if the offense was healthy they wouldn't struggle as much as they would but still this defense is on another level. Believe me that's not a detriment to the offense.

18 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Maybe too old school for some but go back to the days of Rocker and Riggens... Offenses may have not been as sophisticated and they really didn't have all these players' safety rules like now but AU's defenses through much of the '80's were men among boys.

Dang right....those were men playing a boys a game.   I recall UNC at Auburn in like  86 I think and they pulled their healthy QB in like the 3rd QTR.   Basically 'quit' the game.  The coach stated after the game that they had a long season ahead and needed him healthy for conference play.  He was absolutely mauled a couple of times as he was sacked.  It was about that time I think we took out the Texas QB for a few games while sacking him. 

I am sure someone with a better memory can correct the years, but I am close.   

I always wonder if playing a good defense everyday will push the offense to be better.  In theory I have to believe so.  We always talk about how bad Bama looks in their spring game and then they come out and hang 50 on USC.  So here’s to hoping the offense comes out and smokes UW.  The other side is how bad is the offense and is it making the defense look good?  I’ve got to believe the defense is pretty good based on the past two seasons.

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

I'll know Stidham has improved, if when he is flushed out of the pocket, he remembers to just throw the ball away, and not try to outrun the D, and absorb a 10 yard loss.

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I'll know Stidham has improved, if when he is flushed out of the pocket, he remembers to just throw the ball away, and not try to outrun the D, and absorb a 10 yard loss.

I'm willing to believe that a lot of his issues were a result of environmental factors, and I'm optimistic that he'll start the season in a much more stable environment this season and his play will reflect that. It's a shame we don't return a starting center, but I think that continuity and familiarity elsewhere will compensate. 

i think it's a good sign the defense dominated. Coach Dye used to say "Points in the spring means trouble in the fall".  

Offensive line looked absolutely putrid, but I suppose it was the #2s of a transitional OL missing the best players from a previously very not good OL against arguably the best DL in the league

a match made in heaven 

Archived