Trump Nukes Iran Treaty

Pres. Trump has pulled the U.S. out of the Iran Treaty, probably the worst treaty in our history, and reimposed severe sanctions. Great move IMHO and he gave a great speech in announcing his decision.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/05/08/trump-vows-to-withdraw-from-iran-nuclear-agreement-calls-pact-defective-at-its-core.html

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This "treaty" had the stipulation that inspectors who would verify compliance had to give some days notice before showing up. I think it was 30 days but not certain about that. That's no verification at all. If an inspector must give extended notice there's no valid inspection. Nothing else needs to be said about this stinker of an agreement. It should never have been signed to begin with. Good on Trump!

43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This "treaty" had the stipulation that inspectors who would verify compliance had to give some days notice before showing up. I think it was 30 days but not certain about that. That's no verification at all. If an inspector must give extended notice there's no valid inspection. Nothing else needs to be said about this stinker of an agreement. It should never have been signed to begin with. Good on Trump!

General Mattis disagrees:

Asked at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing whether the U.S. should stay in the Iran deal, Mattis would not give his opinion. He later said that the deal’s provisions allow “pretty robust” oversight of what Iran is doing.

“I've read it now three times … and I will say that it is written almost with an assumption that Iran would try to cheat,” he told lawmakers.

“So the verification, what is in there, is actually pretty robust as far as our intrusive ability” for the International Atomic Energy Agency to check on whether Iran is complying."

I wonder at Israel's airstrike today.  The timing seems to be very ill advised.

I'm in 'wait and see' mode on this one.  I'm not convinced it's a bad decision.  I've read various things that seemed to show it was incremental progress, but my default switch is to mistrust Iran. And the original agreement was pretty weak.

It could blow up in his face or it could end up resulting in a better deal with stricter conditions.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I fail to see what we gain by pulling out of this treaty.

We get out of what was, according to many observers, a horrible, one-sided agreement.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We get out of what was, according to many observers, a horrible, one-sided agreement.

And many other observers saw it as an ability for us to slowly quell the threat of Iran.  Again, what do we gain by moving away from any dialogue with Iran here, especially when our top allies (outside of Israel) supported the treaty?

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

And many other observers saw it as an ability for us to slowly quell the threat of Iran.  Again, what do we gain by moving away from any dialogue with Iran here, especially when our top allies (outside of Israel) supported the treaty?

Again, we get out of a bad agreement. If "slowly quell" means guarantee Iran nuclear weapons in ten years, then I think the U.S. needed to get out of it. As for those allies, they should look around their own countries and address their own messes.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm in 'wait and see' mode on this one.  I'm not convinced it's a bad decision.  I've read various things that seemed to show it was incremental progress, but my default switch is to mistrust Iran. And the original agreement was pretty weak.

It could blow up in his face or it could end up resulting in a better deal with stricter conditions.

Trump seems to be blind squirreling into the End of the Korean War. Maybe he blind squirrels into something good here?

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Ditto

46 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Again, we get out of a bad agreement. If "slowly quell" means guarantee Iran nuclear weapons in ten years, then I think the U.S. needed to get out of it.

There's no evidence of guaranteeing Iran nuclear weapons at all.  This is a hyperbolic statement.

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

As for those allies, they should look around their own countries and address their own messes.

You think those countries don't say the same about us?  Just not how the world works big guy.

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

As if we should trust them?   As if they should trust us?  

This is not just a tactical error (which it is), it is a strategic error.  Even a cultural one.  We are generations away before trust will ever come to play.  Considering our history, it may never.  That goes for our entire involvement in the Middle East.

I am reading this book on the subject:  ttps://www.iwastoldtocomealone.com/

I highly recommend it.   Like they say, "know your enemy".

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

As if - even if true - that is the worst option. 

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Again, we get out of a bad agreement. If "slowly quell" means guarantee Iran nuclear weapons in ten years, then I think the U.S. needed to get out of it. As for those allies, they should look around their own countries and address their own messes.

I have to ask, just who says it's a bad deal?  Even Republicans here in Virginia and in DC do not agree with you.  Most Military I have spoken with think it's a foolish move motivated by his campaign promise and that Israel has him by the balls.

16 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

I have to ask, just who says it's a bad deal? 

I say it's a bad deal. No surprise, un announced inspections of a nation everyone says is not trustworthy is a bad deal. That's not even worthy of discussion.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I say it's a bad deal. No surprise, un announced inspections of a nation everyone says is not trustworthy is a bad deal. That's not even worthy of discussion.

Gotcha.  That's your opinion, but I trust it about as much as I trust any Southern Baptist preacher...and I don't trust Cult Leaders.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So another honest question.  Have you read it?  And what makes your opinion more qualified than the military brass cited above?

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So another honest question.  Have you read it?  And what makes your opinion more qualified than the military brass cited above?

He didn't ask for qualifications. He asked who says it's a bad deal. I do, for reasons I've already stated.

Obviously some here haven't read any of the secret material Israel  obtained about what Iran has been doing. Otherwise I'm blown away tat anybody would disagree with Trump's decision regardless of politics. I can't judge people's heart but is seems some hate Trump more than they care about what's good for our country.

48 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Obviously some here haven't read any of the secret material Israel  obtained about what Iran has been doing. Otherwise I'm blown away tat anybody would disagree with Trump's decision regardless of politics. I can't judge people's heart but is seems some hate Trump more than they care about what's good for our country.

It might be helpful to link to whatever you're talking about.

48 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Or some of us don't completely trust Nentanyahu's motives and see this as a much more complex issue than you want to make it seem.

8 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

And you just believe them blindly?  The WORLD'S #1 abuser of Human Rights?  The Top Apartheid State.  You don't think that those buggers would hood wink you at all.  Their word cannot ever be disputed.

Yeah, and I have a bridge to sell you...

Archived