Starting QB Rankings for 2018

aubiefifty

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

That's wonderful!  I'm still eager to see him evaluate a high school QB, get him to sign with AU and then build him into a to the Top 10 draft pick.

Not to pile on but yes.

Also, just a gut feeling, but saying Gus developed Cam is like saying Jack Crowe developed Bo.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Not to pile on but yes.

Also, just a gut feeling, but saying Gus developed Cam is like saying Jack Crowe developed Bo.

Very well said.

Also, Gus is entering his 9th year at Auburn as either head coach or OC- not his 7th. 

Also, Chip Lindsey is the one developing the QBs now- along with outside QB coaches if the QB so chooses- thank goodness. 

If we're winning and the QB isn't a dirtbag that embarrasses the school, then I don't care if he came from high school or Island of Misfit Toys Coastal Community College. And at this point, I don't care if Gus ever develops a QB. Honestly, I hope he doesn't, because that would mean that he's again interfering with his OC's ability to do his job. But Stidham might represent a major evolution in Gus's career- getting a blue chip guy and letting the OC do his job- and I will give Gus all the credit and praise in the world if that ends up being the case. Malik Willis, Joey Gatewood, Bo Nix, Chip Lindsey, QB Guru for Hire du Jour... I'm not looking backwards on Gus with regards to QBs right now. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Very well said.

Also, Gus is entering his 9th year at Auburn as either head coach or OC- not his 7th. 

Also, Chip Lindsey is the one developing the QBs now- along with outside QB coaches if the QB so chooses- thank goodness. 

If we're winning and the QB isn't a dirtbag that embarrasses the school, then I don't care if he came from high school or Island of Misfit Toys Coastal Community College. And at this point, I don't care if Gus ever develops a QB. Honestly, I hope he doesn't, because that would mean that he's again interfering with his OC's ability to do his job. But Stidham might represent a major evolution in Gus's career- getting a blue chip guy and letting the OC do his job- and I will give Gus all the credit and praise in the world if that ends up being the case. Malik Willis, Joey Gatewood, Bo Nix, Chip Lindsey, QB Guru for Hire du Jour... I'm not looking backwards on Gus with regards to QBs right now. 

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

12 hours ago, alexava said:

? Mullen?

Is that your guess as to who is hating life more over it or a question as to why he is included in the list?

The way I see it, Grier might have saved McElwain's job, but if he didn't then Mullen lives and dies by his QB, so the fact that Grier would have been his this year, had he not been ignorant about the rules, has to eat at him a bit.

I'm curious as to why Grier left in the first place. Couldn't he have served his suspension then regained his starting position back? Did UF support him after his suspension? What happened there? With how many teams are scrambling to find anybody to play QB you'd think shark humper would've wanted to keep him around, especially after such a fast start to his career.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

I'm curious as to why Grier left in the first place. Couldn't he have served his suspension then regained his starting position back? Did UF support him after his suspension? What happened there? With how many teams are scrambling to find anybody to play QB you'd think shark humper would've wanted to keep him around, especially after such a fast start to his career.

Can't be certain, but my guess would be that the fact that he was busted for PEDs would put a cloud over the program if he stayed where it happened. 

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

That’s part of the reason so to speak. The gossip is he wanted his job back as soon as the suspension was over and coach Mac wasn’t having it . So when he asked for a transfer to many people surprise Coach Mac didn’t even put up a fight . It was both of their Egos that got in the way.

I’m surprised they didn’t have Jay Barker as number three.

Oh, I guess they couldn’t, he’s no longer playing.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:55 AM, aubiefifty said:

9. Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

auburn-tigers.png

Running back Kerryon Johnson will be missed, but Auburn's offense is set behind Stidham and one of the league's top receiving corps for 2018. After all, Stidham’s 3,158 passing yards in his first year on campus ranked second for a single season in program history. He also tossed 18 touchdowns and added 153 yards and four scores on the ground. Stidham’s 10 passing plays of 50 yards or more ranked fifth nationally among FBS quarterbacks last season.

'Jarrett Stidham is the second quarterback in Auburn history to throw for 3,000 yards and first to come back the following season. He’s also set to become the first returning starter at the position since Nick Marshall in 2013 and 2014.

Gus Malzahn plans to take advantage of that fact.

“We’re giving him more flexibility with the offense, which we should,” the head coach said on Jox’s 3 Man Front radio show on Thursday. “There’s nothing like experience in our league. He has experience and he played well against some of the best defenses in college football, so you fast forward and it’s really his team this year.”

… [Coach Malzahn, post LSU, last season] Stidham already had “more freedom” than any quarterback he had coached before because of the additional run-pass option plays Auburn added to the playbook, as well as the Stidham’s ability to change protections. The coach also indicated that it was rare to find a college quarterback granted the ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage.

Regardless, it sounds as if Stidham will be granted even more freedom in his junior season…Even if that doesn’t mean he’ll be calling full-fledged audibles.

“I think he’s in a good spot to lead our team,” Malzahn said Thursday, “and I’m glad he’s the leader of it.” '

Auburn plans to give Jarrett Stidham ‘more flexibility’ with the offense

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/auburn-plans-to-give-jarrett-stidham-more-flexibility-with-the/article_33b169d8-54d6-11e8-b451-77ca0e5effaf.html

Tua is hype. He came in the second half against a solid Georgia defense but one that had been game planning for a running QB and that really did not expect Nicky to bring TUA on in second half. It caught Georgia completely unaware and they were not able to adjust. There is no denying that he has talent but to rate him so high after 1/2 of a game and some mop up duty is only because he is at bama.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Tua is hype. He came in the second half against a solid Georgia defense but one that had been game planning for a running QB and that really did not expect Nicky to bring TUA on in second half. It caught Georgia completely unaware and they were not able to adjust. There is no denying that he has talent but to rate him so high after 1/2 of a game and some mop up duty is only because he is at bama.

agree....we have experience with that situation. ....takes more than a half a ball game to win a starting job....well it should anyway.   

And thinking back to the uat-ga game...my memory is not that great but seems I recall that Tua was one dropped INT from being back on the bench (would have been his second I think) ...... Georgia had stopped him for a couple 3 and outs and should have done it at third time.

Tua had a good second half but the dawgs choked it up on defense.....and ended up giving him a wide open receiver in OT. 

JMO but odds are about 50:50 over who might start. and Tua did not earn that high ranking ...yet...

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

agree....we have experience with that situation. ....takes more than a half a ball game to win a starting job....well it should anyway.   

And thinking back to the uat-ga game...my memory is not that great but seems I recall that Tua was one dropped INT from being back on the bench (would have been his second I think) ...... Georgia had stopped him for a couple 3 and outs and should have done it at third time.

Tua had a good second half but the dawgs choked it up on defense.....and ended up giving him a wide open receiver in OT. 

JMO but odds are about 50:50 over who might start. and Tua did not earn that high ranking ...yet...

Agree. There are plenty of historical moments where the backup wins a game, and then they can't perform consistently when given the starting position, and are never heard from again. Tua hasn't earned a starting position,.....but he may. lol. 

But I will say this in that UA/GA game you mentioned. that winning TD in OT, was more of a great playcall and a perfect look off by Tua, then throwing a perfect pass to the WR that won them the game. Got to give him credit for executing that play with all that pressure. Dang it...

5 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

'Jarrett Stidham is the second quarterback in Auburn history to throw for 3,000 yards and first to come back the following season. He’s also set to become the first returning starter at the position since Nick Marshall in 2013 and 2014.

Gus Malzahn plans to take advantage of that fact.

“We’re giving him more flexibility with the offense, which we should,” the head coach said on Jox’s 3 Man Front radio show on Thursday. “There’s nothing like experience in our league. He has experience and he played well against some of the best defenses in college football, so you fast forward and it’s really his team this year.”

… [Coach Malzahn, post LSU, last season] Stidham already had “more freedom” than any quarterback he had coached before because of the additional run-pass option plays Auburn added to the playbook, as well as the Stidham’s ability to change protections. The coach also indicated that it was rare to find a college quarterback granted the ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage.

Regardless, it sounds as if Stidham will be granted even more freedom in his junior season…Even if that doesn’t mean he’ll be calling full-fledged audibles.

“I think he’s in a good spot to lead our team,” Malzahn said Thursday, “and I’m glad he’s the leader of it.” '

Auburn plans to give Jarrett Stidham ‘more flexibility’ with the offense

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/auburn-plans-to-give-jarrett-stidham-more-flexibility-with-the/article_33b169d8-54d6-11e8-b451-77ca0e5effaf.html

Post LSU game? Funny 

I don't feel great about stidham, I think he needs reps to calm down a bit.

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't feel great about stidham, I think he needs reps to calm down a bit.

It would be good to have him go live at least once a week leading up to the season

Archived