Regional projections

Baseball America’s latest projection has us as the 9 overall seed playing Southern Miss, Dallas Baptist, and Navy, and our regional is paired with the #8 Ole Miss regional. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/college-baseball-projected-field-of-64-5918/

D1Baseball and others should be released today. 

Either sounds good to me :)

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

#9 overall seed? Without being ranked?

College baseball confusing.

We’re ranked between 17-19 in various polls this week. 

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

#9 overall seed? Without being ranked?

College baseball confusing.

I'd say the polls are confusing, not college baseball. Our RPI has been in the top 10 range pretty much all year, but for whatever reason never got much respect from the polls.

12 hours ago, WDEKC said:

I'd say the polls are confusing, not college baseball. Our RPI has been in the top 10 range pretty much all year, but for whatever reason never got much respect from the polls.

We went through a pretty rough stretch towards the start of SEC play that allowed most of the media to write off our early success as beating up on weak teams. Getting swept on the road at Arkansas isn't a terrible thing given how good the Hogs are, but when it was coupled with losing the weekend before at home to Mizzou, I think a lot of people wrote us off rather than think we're just in a slump. If we had kept the boat afloat so to speak during and won a game against Arkansas and another game against Mizzou, we probably stay in the top 20 through that stretch and would be in the top 10 right now. But we haven't done much in recent years to ear the benefit of the doubt like other programs have. Just the nature of the polls beast.

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

We went through a pretty rough stretch towards the start of SEC play that allowed most of the media to write off our early success as beating up on weak teams. Getting swept on the road at Arkansas isn't a terrible thing given how good the Hogs are, but when it was coupled with losing the weekend before at home to Mizzou, I think a lot of people wrote us off rather than think we're just in a slump. If we had kept the boat afloat so to speak during and won a game against Arkansas and another game against Mizzou, we probably stay in the top 20 through that stretch and would be in the top 10 right now. But we haven't done much in recent years to ear the benefit of the doubt like other programs have. Just the nature of the polls beast.

Polls are so incredibly flawed especially with baseball. There's no possible way to watch all games of all teams involved to form a reliable opinion (even if your job is to cover college baseball fulltime). It's why committees for basketball and baseball often rely heavily on algorithms and indexes because they can apply the same weighting system across the board and don't have any form of bias.

20 hours ago, WDEKC said:

Polls are so incredibly flawed especially with baseball. There's no possible way to watch all games of all teams involved to form a reliable opinion (even if your job is to cover college baseball fulltime). It's why committees for basketball and baseball often rely heavily on algorithms and indexes because they can apply the same weighting system across the board and don't have any form of bias.

Big problem in my view is rating pitching and effect on overall team strength.  One ace and two question marks or three solid pitchers....?    Trying to rank / judge a team by what it does for a three game series...or by what it is able to do when the stud is on the mound?

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Big problem in my view is rating pitching and effect on overall team strength.  One ace and two question marks or three solid pitchers....?    Trying to rank / judge a team by what it does for a three game series...or by what it is able to do when the stud is on the mound?

That is another issue considering your, potentially, best defensive option only starts once a week for you. It's not like other sports where your starters are pretty much the same for every game.

This one against Ole Miss is important tonight. A loss likely puts us out of contention for a national seed, and puts us in a position where we’ll need to win at least 2 against LSU and win a few in Hoover to lock down a regional host. Win tonight, and we’re looking at a pretty solid case as a regional host if we win the LSU series, and a good shot at a national seed with a good run in Hoover. 

Good news today as we remain in most top 25 polls including the USA Today Coaches Poll, which everyone sees on TV. A good week this coming week followed by a good Hoover performance still means this team hosts a regional, especially with the RPI sitting at 12th currently. 

Archived