Softball vs. uat SEC tournament

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Hspoprn said:

Auburn left 12 runners on base, including multiple baserunners in five different innings.

Sound familiar ?

Every game all season. 

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

I can't find much to criticize in putting Perry in to pinch hit. Draper is a slapper. The bases were loaded with two outs, meaning an easy force at any base loses the game. We didn't need a slapper at the plate, we needed a hitter that might drive the ball out of the infield. Other than that, I very much agree with the above posts by @80Tiger and @swimmama.

Agree. 

12 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

The “stepping out of box” should be counted as a foul ball.  An out is too big a punishment for the offense.

That is an interesting idea.  However, the problem from my perspective is not calling the violation when it is blatant regardless of the "punishment'.  I noticed it got called on Bama at least twice last night on their 2 chronic offenders.  It may be, as others have stated, it is too much to ask of the home plate umpire to get the pitches called correctly and then focus on foot placement when contact is made with the ball.  

14 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

The “stepping out of box” should be counted as a foul ball.  An out is too big a punishment for the offense.

Indeed an interesting idea. I want to modify it slightly:  foul ball on the first offense of an AB, out on any subsequent offense of that AB.  This call is easily reviewed by the CF camera, as we have all seen.  The problem is that softball doesn't allow reviews.  What was the driving thought behind changing this rule, anyway?

Re Draper:  I absolutely love Draper.  But I've always thought she should bat second as the best bunter on the team, with Taylon hitting leadoff.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Indeed an interesting idea. I want to modify it slightly:  foul ball on the first offense of an AB, out on any subsequent offense of that AB.  This call is easily reviewed by the CF camera, as we have all seen.  The problem is that softball doesn't allow reviews.  What was the driving thought behind changing this rule, anyway?

Re Draper:  I absolutely love Draper.  But I've always thought she should bat second as the best bunter on the team, with Taylon hitting leadoff.

That's a lot of pressure to put on a freshman. I think that is why it seemed natural to put the senior Draper as leadoff with her speed and how she hits. Draper simply was not effective in the SEC. She seemed better to bat last in hindsight. 

Unless they recruit a true leadoff, Taylon will be batting first next year.

On 5/10/2018 at 10:30 AM, swimmama said:

I fell really bad for these girls, everything has been turned upside down. Dean came in and tried to totally erase everything that they had accomplished. That says a lot. He made athletics take down the flags at the front for their wins in SEC and going to World Series! Really. I have never missed a game in the last three years at home. You can really read body language from our girls, they are not the fun-loving happy team that they once were.  The standings were never posted this year, I am totally mad at Myers but he instilled in them that they could reach for the moon. Dean’s idea that defense and pitching wins obviously hasn’t seen how it goes in SEC!!! Only game that I know where love scores win is in golf. Justis is probably never going to get out of doghouse and he sends her in with no chance of success. I won’t be surprised to see her bolt, with maybe some more. They play tentative because they know that he will bench them in a heartbeat. Sad indeed, we had come so far. We will see how next year goes, but this batting coach needs to go but won’t , he came because he promised to bring three players here next year. I will be there cheering them on because that is who I am but this is hard to watch for sure. Our stats show how far we have fallen. 

I admit that in the wake of the Myers' mess, I lost interest in AU softball.  The Administration should've handled it whole thing differently and the things that came out were very petty in nature and caused me to sour on everyone involved.  

But I am really sad to know that Dean made them take down their source of pride and accomplishment,  like the events never happened.   How dejecting for these girls, like they haven't already been through enough. 

Allow the flags for AU's SEC & WCWS to be removed while you hang banners down the halls for football winning their conference division? ?

4 hours ago, keesler said:

I admit that in the wake of the Myers' mess, I lost interest in AU softball.  The Administration should've handled it whole thing differently and the things that came out were very petty in nature and caused me to sour on everyone involved.  

But I am really sad to know that Dean made them take down their source of pride and accomplishment,  like the events never happened.   How dejecting for these girls, like they haven't already been through enough. 

Allow the flags for AU's SEC & WCWS to be removed while you hang banners down the halls for football winning their conference division? ?

Totally agree.  That's tantamount to saying "It isn't about the university, it's about me."  Don't see how he could get away with that.

53 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Totally agree.  That's tantamount to saying "It isn't about the university, it's about me."  Don't see how he could get away with that.

Dean appeared insecure about his job right from the start.....and however he or many of us feel, the majority of the players were recruited by Myers and apparently liked and respected him......despite what Corey managed to get away with.  

NCAA or SEC did not take away a single win or "flag" related to their tournament and SEC wins ....and for Dean not to respect what some of his players accomplished is a petty action.

On 5/10/2018 at 10:30 AM, swimmama said:

I fell really bad for these girls, everything has been turned upside down. Dean came in and tried to totally erase everything that they had accomplished. That says a lot. He made athletics take down the flags at the front for their wins in SEC and going to World Series! Really. I have never missed a game in the last three years at home. You can really read body language from our girls, they are not the fun-loving happy team that they once were.  The standings were never posted this year, I am totally mad at Myers but he instilled in them that they could reach for the moon. Dean’s idea that defense and pitching wins obviously hasn’t seen how it goes in SEC!!! Only game that I know where love scores win is in golf. Justis is probably never going to get out of doghouse and he sends her in with no chance of success. I won’t be surprised to see her bolt, with maybe some more. They play tentative because they know that he will bench them in a heartbeat. Sad indeed, we had come so far. We will see how next year goes, but this batting coach needs to go but won’t , he came because he promised to bring three players here next year. I will be there cheering them on because that is who I am but this is hard to watch for sure. Our stats show how far we have fallen. 

When were the flags taken down?  At the first of the year?

23 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

When were the flags taken down?  At the first of the year?

Not sure, but I noticed the padding was changed to all blue and "boring" the last series at home.  I liked how our field showed more colors with the orange and graphics than others.  That is probably just Dean thinking it distracts the pitchers.  

Before:

maxresdefault.jpg

After:

veachjpg-58f40128248fee38.jpg

15 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Not sure, but I noticed the padding was changed to all blue and "boring" the last series at home.  I liked how our field showed more colors with the orange and graphics than others.  That is probably just Dean thinking it distracts the pitchers.  

Before:

maxresdefault.jpg

After:

veachjpg-58f40128248fee38.jpg

Yes the padding got changed right before the last home series.  It wasn't anything against the girls or the team but time for a refresh (I believe in anticipation of hosting a regional at least).  Notice the faded orange pad at the top replaced by blue padding.  Also, I have seen a mock-up of what graphics were proposed which kept the AU and SEC logos, just placed them on either side and put the name of Jane B Moore Field directly behind the plate.  The logos were to be installed last week (during SEC tourney), which makes the timing for regional host (although that did not happen).

And a different perspective on the taking down the flags (not sure if that was a replacement, if it was that could be an overnight change), but maybe Coach Dean didn't want them "resting on what they had accomplished" but looking for what they can accomplish.  Not that I necessarily agree with it, but have been around organizations that wanted either a "fresh start" or focus on the future and not what we have done in the past.  I personally like having some brag points of what was earned in the past, so long as the intent is to add to it and the focus is gaining more, not just bragging on past accomplishments.

7 hours ago, GBAU83 said:

Yes the padding got changed right before the last home series.  It wasn't anything against the girls or the team but time for a refresh (I believe in anticipation of hosting a regional at least).  Notice the faded orange pad at the top replaced by blue padding.  Also, I have seen a mock-up of what graphics were proposed which kept the AU and SEC logos, just placed them on either side and put the name of Jane B Moore Field directly behind the plate.  The logos were to be installed last week (during SEC tourney), which makes the timing for regional host (although that did not happen).

And a different perspective on the taking down the flags (not sure if that was a replacement, if it was that could be an overnight change), but maybe Coach Dean didn't want them "resting on what they had accomplished" but looking for what they can accomplish.  Not that I necessarily agree with it, but have been around organizations that wanted either a "fresh start" or focus on the future and not what we have done in the past.  I personally like having some brag points of what was earned in the past, so long as the intent is to add to it and the focus is gaining more, not just bragging on past accomplishments.

Did the graphic mock up have orange in it or just a white outline like what was on there before? I like that it wasn't a finished wall and that something was going to be there. 

8 hours ago, GBAU83 said:

Fresh start.....??? So take down statues and banners at JHS ???   Guess I am more along the line ...look at the heritage we need to live up to.....

16 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Did the graphic mock up have orange in it or just a white outline like what was on there before? I like that it wasn't a finished wall and that something was going to be there. 

The graphic mock-up kept the block AU in orange trimmed in white, the SEC logo in white letters with an orange oval (similar to what was up there before).  "JANE B. MOORE FIELD" was solid block white letters.  The mock-up also used the old blue pads with orange border trim, so not sure if the blue border trims pads would stay.

I also have not been over to the field to see if it has been installed and what it looks like if installed.

Archived