Staggering the uat, Georgia games

toddc

3 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Part of what makes the iron bowl the iron bowl is when it’s played

So?  What has that got to do with my proposal?

After all the "iron" bowl is named after the Birmingham location. I don't see anything sacred about that. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, homersapien said:

So?  What has that got to do with my proposal?

After all the "iron" bowl is named after the Birmingham location. I don't see anything sacred about that. 

Rival Saturday... always last Saturday of regular season.

20 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I am talking about what would be best for Auburn.  

We have two "rivals" - both of whom are habitually top 5 teams.  Our late schedule is crazy. Why willingly handicap ourselves?  Who else does this?

I say re-think the whole deal.  We are a natural member of the eastern divison.   That's  where most of our critical recruiting occurs.   I guarantee - well, "guess" would be more accurate - those recruits, and their families, would rather play an eastern division schedule, for obvious reasons. 

We are handicapped by being a part of the western division.  Let's swap with Missouri.  It would be better for everyone.

27 minutes ago, homersapien said:

We have two "rivals" - both of whom are habitually top 5 teams.  Our late schedule is crazy. Why willingly handicap ourselves?  Who else does this?

I say re-think the whole deal.  We are a natural member of the eastern divison.   That's  where most of our critical recruiting occurs.   I guarantee - well, "guess" would be more accurate - those recruits, and their families, would rather play an eastern division schedule, for obvious reasons. 

We are handicapped by being a part of the western division.  Let's swap with Missouri.  It would be better for everyone.

As much as I agree . That would absolutely never happen. Two of the SEC power brokers Bama and UGA would vehemently fight it. About us being a better fight in the SEC east. I couldn’t care less who we play on our schedule. I think eventually we will move to a 9 game conference schedule any how and most of this will be null and void.

13 hours ago, DAG said:

As much as I agree . That would absolutely never happen. Two of the SEC power brokers Bama and UGA would vehemently fight it. About us being a better fight in the SEC east. I couldn’t care less who we play on our schedule. I think eventually we will move to a 9 game conference schedule any how and most of this will be null and void.

With all due respect, you are making my point. Why would they fight it?

We are burdened - coincidentally or not - with a disadvantage that is supported by "political" interests instead of common sense and a sense of fair play.

There's really no argument against it. (Obviously not a geographical one :-\  )

So why the ****** not?

(Just to clarify, we keep Bama as our traditional rival and play UGA as part of the divisional schedule)

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Not best for Missouri, coming into the best conference division in all football! 

The AU in the East Div discussion has been hashed over and over.  As much as AU fans (mostly) agree and would say "yes" the PTB put AU in the West for a reason back when the divisions were created.  Don't see that changing.

Frankly, I'm one of those who wouldn't mind the bammer game being removed and only played in a rotation.  It's just toxic.  It's not even that fun to win anyway as they either kill our landmarks or go on the win Natty's anyway. <_<

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Every school probably has schedule gripes.. No way to just do  "small adjustment" for AU without affecting everyone else....who will want to tweak something..it would be like a Constitutional Convention and no way to know what might result 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Every school probably has schedule gripes.. No way to just do  "small adjustment" for AU without affecting everyone else....who will want to tweak something..it would be like a Constitutional Convention and no way to know what might result 

I think it would cause minimal waves to move the AU/UGA game to an earlier Saturday. After all, in spite of "complications", UAT and Tennessee were able to keep their hallowed Third Saturday in October. Other teams move around on our schedule in a random fashon so it's not set in stone. If, as has been claimed, both AU and UGA want to play earlier the conference should accommodate.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I think it would cause minimal waves to move the AU/UGA game to an earlier Saturday. After all, in spite of "complications", UAT and Tennessee were able to keep their hallowed Third Saturday in October. Other teams move around on our schedule in a random fashon so it's not set in stone. If, as has been claimed, both AU and UGA want to play earlier the conference should accommodate.

Another SEC team or two would have to move to the Ga slot...already have one OOC game late...and just as easy we could get some team in the rise who is just as good.

Just don't see it happening and not sure if is an advantage long term

56 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Another SEC team or two would have to move to the Ga slot...already have one OOC game late...and just as easy we could get some team in the rise who is just as good.

Just don't see it happening and not sure if is an advantage long term

The only way (but legit) I see it as a possibility is to swap thUga week with the rotational SEC week.  Nobody in the West would want to because, like AU, their big rivalry weeks are @ Thanksgiving.  But maybe, big maybe, the league wouldn't have issue with the rotational team since it wouldn't be every year at least.

On 5/11/2018 at 7:28 PM, gr82be said:

From Crepea's article- Both Auburn and Georgia, which is in a similar predicament of playing the Tigers and rival Georgia Tech both at home or on the road each season, previously expressed to the SEC desire to either reverse what was done in 2013 or move the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry up on the calendar, which was decided against.  (I'm not disagreeing with your point because you made it once before in another thread in response to my post. Just thought it was good to see UGA has given it thought too.)

Thanks for posting this gr82be, I did not know UGA wanted to avoid us at the end of the season too.  The apparent unwillingness of the "SEC" to accommodate both willing parties speaks volumes IMO.  

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

UGA doesn't want  to move the game. 

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

If, as has been claimed, both AU and UGA want to play earlier the conference should accommodate.

17 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yep. The oinly thing I have seen UGA say is they would like it back the way it was home/road wise so it's staggered w/ GT each year instead of having AU & GT on the road in same years.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Stuff likes this happens when you have a weak AD. 

Greene?   weak AD?      but of course whoever our AD is...AD's at every other school are looking out for the interests of their teams....and it could be argued that most of the rest of the SEC benefits by AU having those games back to back.  ....so why would they make it easy for AU?    

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Greene?   weak AD?      but of course whoever our AD is...AD's at every other school are looking out for the interests of their teams....and it could be argued that most of the rest of the SEC benefits by AU having those games back to back.  ....so why would they make it easy for AU?    

Regarding Greene, perhaps you forgot the :rimshot: ?

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The above quoted article by Crepea says they want to move it. " Both Auburn and Georgia, which is in a similar predicament of playing the Tigers and rival Georgia Tech both at home or on the road each season, previously expressed to the SEC desire to either reverse what was done in 2013 or move the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry up on the calendar..."

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Greene's been on the job less than a year, the scheduling mess has been around since expansion.

Our SEC brethren will do nothing to make AU's path to a championship easier, and why should they?  I wouldn't piss on UA/UGA/LSU/UT/Arky if they were on fire and I dang sure wouldn't voluntarily accommodate their wishes to ease their burden of a brutal schedule.  

Just now, keesler said:

Greene's been on the job less than a year, the scheduling mess has been around since expansion.

Our SEC brethren will do nothing to make AU's path to a championship easier, and why should they?  I wouldn't piss on UA/UGA/LSU/UT/Arky if they were on fire and I dang sure wouldn't voluntarily accommodate their wishes to ease their burden of a brutal schedule.  

Amen....the first one here to actually see the real situation rather than look for some specious reason to blame the issue on our AD.  Congrats....  

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Stuff likes this happens when you have a weak AD. 

and just curious who you think are the "strong" ADs in the conference.  

JMO but even with his faults, by the time he left, there was not an AD in the SEC who was any more successful .....mostly because most had been fired or left their jobs.     I follow SEC sports pretty closely and have to say that most ADs today are unknown to me ....and I bet to about everyone on this board.  Looked at a list of the "top 25" ADs on one site from 2015 and half of them are gone from their schools.  

On 5/13/2018 at 9:12 PM, DAG said:

I remember when this came around the first time. I found the article that discussed Bama's issues:

According to the sources, Alabama has two objectives: Keep its annual cross-division rivalry game against Tennessee, and not watch Auburn move to the East and possibly grow its recruiting presence in talent-rich Florida and Georgia.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/10/alabama_would_support_adding_m.html

I remember seeing something about a vote and Tenn/Fla/UGA all voted against us moving to the east. I can't find that one though.

On 5/13/2018 at 8:28 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

It has moved a couple times though already. It actually used to played on Thanksgiving Day and a few times before Thanksgiving. Course with all the conference changes I lose track of what traditional rivalry games all went on Thanksgiving and after.

14 hours ago, keesler said:

I think the "weak AD" statement was a pot-shot at JJ. Nobody would claim Greene is responsible for this mess.

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think the "weak AD" statement was a pot-shot at JJ. Nobody would claim Greene is responsible for this mess.

True...but no matter who is our AD, nobody in the SEC is going to vote to make things easier for us.. and vice versa...blaming AU for this situation is a cheap shot IMO.

Archived