Staggering the uat, Georgia games

toddc

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

to be fair kevin greene said basically the same thing after going pro and having played for dye. he said pro ball was like a vacation compared to a dye coached practice.............i think i am close to his exact words.

and here is something i would like to know but i am bad at stats. what are our win loss record with the turds playing the iron bowl and what are they now with the true home and home games?

i do not miss the ironbowl gamed in the ham but i do miss calling the turds cowards for not playing us on our home field. but tennesse and some others did the same thing. we played tennessee in the ham as well. i am sure there were more.........

Methinks the biggest reason for others, not named uat, playing in B'ham had to do with seating capacity/ticket sales.  Remember, JHS only held @ 60K until 1980.  LF held @ 10-20K more butts.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Methinks the biggest reason for others, not named uat, playing in B'ham had to do with seating capacity/ticket sales.  Remember, JHS only held @ 60K until 1980.  LF held @ 10-20K more butts.

that might have been part of it and i certainly not arguing but i am pretty sure perkins said they would never play auburn at auburn and the turd faithful went along.and from the turd fans i knew back then they all seemed to think they were too good to play at auburn. shrugs......

24 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

that might have been part of it and i certainly not arguing but i am pretty sure perkins said they would never play auburn at auburn and the turd faithful went along.and from the turd fans i knew back then they all seemed to think they were too good to play at auburn. shrugs......

You're absolutely right regarding bammer (& I believe Perkins).  That was a combo of the strength of Pat Dye at the time and Perkins was no Bahr, the victory in bringing the game Home.  No dispute here.

I was referring to the other teams that AU played in bammerham.

UAT, Tennessee and Georgia Tech were the three that had to be dragged, kicking and screaming into Jordan-Hare stadium. We whupped all three on their first visits. While nothing can compare with the '89 Iron Bowl, the 31-7 win over haughty Tech in 1970 was particularly sweet, with the stadium crammed and Bob Hope in attendance for a show later that evening.

The 21-0 beatdown of Tennessee in '74 was very nice too. Particularly since I had some guests from the Volunteer State in the house, they proclaiming before the game that the outcome was a "mere formality" and UT would win with ease. Like bammer, we then had to play Tennessee twice more in B'ham before the game finally went to a true home and home.

There was at least one occasion when Mississippi State played their home game against AU in Birmingham. That was 1970. Sad that they could make more money playing us in B'ham than they could make playing at their own home. Things have improved in Starkeville since those days.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

The 21-0 beatdown of Tennessee in '74 was very nice too. Particularly since I had some guests from the Volunteer State in the house, they proclaiming before the game that the outcome was a "mere formality" and UT would win with ease. Like bammer, we then had to play Tennessee twice more in B'ham before the game finally went to a true home and home

Was that the game we punted late on 1st down because we knew the only way Tennessee could score was against our offense?

16 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Was that the game we punted late on 1st down because we knew the only way Tennessee could score was against our offense?

You're confusing that with UT, with the lead, punting on first down against us several times during a downpour in Knoxville. That was around the same time period.

12 hours ago, oracle79 said:

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

You're confusing that with UT, with the lead, punting on first down against us several times during a downpour in Knoxville. That was around the same time period.

I had to look that up.  Wow!

I guess that was the mid-70's "equivalent" of Spurrier going for it on 4th down all the time.  AU lost 21-0 and Shug Jordan wouldn't shake Bill Battle's hand afterwards, claiming CBB wouldn't shake his before the game.

AU returned the favor the next season winning 21-0 themselves in what, I think, might have been the first AU/UT game in Jordan-Hare.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I had to look that up.  Wow!

I guess that was the mid-70's "equivalent" of Spurrier going for it on 4th down all the time.  AU lost 21-0 and Shug Jordan wouldn't shake Bill Battle's hand afterwards, claiming CBB wouldn't shake his before the game.

AU returned the favor the next season winning 21-0 themselves in what, I think, might have been the first AU/UT game in Jordan-Hare.

Correct. I was at both of those games. Really, the punting on first down wasn't an insult, it was common sense. There was a continuing downpour, such that the stadium steps were made into water falls. Both teams were fumbling two or three times a possession. Punting on 1st down with a 21-0 lead made a lot of sense, given the circumstances. As for the Shug/Battle handshaking issue, you must remember that battle was a bammer. Poor sportsmanship is ground into bammers during their time in Tuskaloser.

Damn.

Theres a Gus joke in here somewhere regarding punting on 1st down rather than trying to run whatever it was we tried to run on offense for some particular games. 2016 UGA anyone???

12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Damn.

Theres a Gus joke in here somewhere regarding punting on 1st down rather than trying to run whatever it was we tried to run on offense for some particular games. 2016 UGA anyone???

He wanted to, but KJ was hurt. 

:rimshot:

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Damn.

"He would have finished Goddam off then and there, but pity stayed his hand.  It's a pity I've run out of bullets, he [Dildo] thought." [Bored of the Rings, Harvard Lampoon]

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Damn.

LSU game: Didn't want anyone to think he was crazy, so instead he just ran it 3 straight times for no gain the entire 2nd half.

20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

@AUld fAUx@, check out 'A Futile and Stupid Gesture' if 1) you haven't already and 2) you actually watch movies.

1) WILLCO (on the list)

2) I do but, far as I know, Bored of the Rings was never moviefied? (free readable download that looks to be complete? at http://solargeneral.org/wp-content/uploads/library/bored-of-the-rings-henry-n-beard-douglas-c-kenney.pdf) I've actually got a T-shirt that glows "Will't thou kiss me in the dark, baby?"

ETA - Looks like the flick is currently running on Netflix? to which I don't have access. I'll keep an eye out for it to show on alternative platforms. Before I searched out info, I didn't realize the familial connections between Harvard and National Lampoons, and the part "Bored.." played. Definitely on my list. Many Thanks

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

LSU game: Didn't want anyone to think he was crazy, so instead he just ran it 3 straight times for no gain the entire 2nd half.

Lol that is also one of the games I had in mind. Literally playing to punt. :angryfire:

Just now, Tiger said:

Lol that is also one of the games I had in mind. Literally playing to punt. :angryfire:

The only thing crazier is the people who defend it.

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Somebody just needs to remind Gus to order his punts like his hash browns- covered and smothered. I still can't get over that LSU punt return. 

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yeah, I remembered that game too, but I think I just wanted us to punt against them on first down once we were up 21 - 0 for payback.  From the summary at auburntigers.com:

1973-74--Tennessee defeated Auburn 21-0 in Knoxville in a driving rainstorm.  Tennessee punted on first down throughout the fourth quarter, infuriating Auburn coaches. At the end of the game, Auburn coach Ralph "Shug" Jordan refused to shake hands with Vol coach Bill Battle saying Battle refused to shake hands with him before the game. In 1974, Tennessee, reluctantly, made its first trip to Auburn. Auburn won, ironically by the same 21-0 score. Throughout the first quarter, Auburn fans chanted "Punt...Punt...Punt" whenever Auburn had a first down.

Nothing is gonna change with the SEC scheduling as long as Saban as long we he doesn't like any idea.

7 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Nothing is gonna change with the SEC scheduling as long as Saban as long we he doesn't like any idea.

Huh?

22 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

kid1-u-sure-this-what-he-said-kid2-yeah-he-said-you-gotta-try-smoking-a-roach-kid1-ok-let-me-light-urs-first-QMuoA.jpg

14 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Saban had a great idea a few yrs ago, he petitioned the conference to go to a 9 game SEC regular schedule - it even made it to a vote a couple of times and was shot down by every SEC program every time.  

Now here we are complaining non-stop because Auburn got the shaft right up the arse with the existing SEC schedule format.  The schedules are set through 2025, so nothing will change for at least another freaking decade.  :banghead:

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Saban had a great idea a few yrs ago, he petitioned the conference to go to a 9 game SEC regular schedule - it even made it to a vote a couple of times and was shot down by every SEC program every time.  

Now here we are complaining non-stop because Auburn got the shaft right up the arse with the existing SEC schedule format.  The schedules are set through 2025, so nothing will change for at least another freaking decade.  :banghead:

What was the argument against a 9 game conference schedule? I remember reading it would give players a chance to play each team in the conference or something, right? I wouldn't be mad at that if that was the case. I mean we play freaking Clemson more than we play our SEC counterpart Florida :dunno:

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What was the argument against a 9 game conference schedule? I remember reading it would give players a chance to play each team in the conference or something, right? I wouldn't be mad at that if that was the case. I mean we play freaking Clemson more than we play our SEC counterpart Florida :dunno:

Most teams would risk making their schedule more difficult. Until another team in the East has a pulse, we're the only team whose schedule might actually get easier

Archived