Staggering the uat, Georgia games

toddc

53 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What was the argument against a 9 game conference schedule? I remember reading it would give players a chance to play each team in the conference or something, right? I wouldn't be mad at that if that was the case. I mean we play freaking Clemson more than we play our SEC counterpart Florida :dunno:

Yeah whats up with that.....We start getting a little payback for the Spurrier years and they drop us........I'll hang up and listen Pawl......

Just being silly.........I still wish we played GA Tech on a regular basis.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Yeah whats up with that.....We start getting a little payback for the Spurrier years and they drop us........I'll hang up and listen Pawl......

Just a friendly, cautionary "Heads Up." 

There may be a geezer with a golf club that intrudes your calm.

12 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Eh, just offer him some PBR and he's harmless.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Eh, just offer him some PBR and he's harmless.

The problem with that approach is that he'd probably accept.

49 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I'd much rather have played Georgia Tech than Clemson during a time when they have been reaching unprecedented heights for them that's for sure!

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'd much rather have played Georgia Tech than Clemson during a time when they have been reaching unprecedented heights for them that's for sure!

OR.... Here's another way to look at it...

Maybe Auburn plays them during a time where the AU head coach wasn't experimenting with the 1930's offensive playbook he found one year and the next year play them when Herb Hand didn't take the week leading up to the game off.

I'm sorry......

18004190.gif

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Yes I understand golf has a certain love for GA Tech?

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

What was the argument against a 9 game conference schedule? I remember reading it would give players a chance to play each team in the conference or something, right? I wouldn't be mad at that if that was the case. I mean we play freaking Clemson more than we play our SEC counterpart Florida :dunno:

They chose to make the schedules stronger with OOC games against ACC/B12/B10/Pac12 teams rather than taking on another SEC opponent.  The Pac12/B12/B10 play a 9 game conference schedule and no longer play FCS opponents (I know for sure the B10 banned FCS games when they added the 9th conference game.  

I suppose some programs didn't want to make their schedules any more difficult by adding another SEC game?  Saban advocated for a 9 game SEC schedule with one annual non-division opponent and 2 non-division games against rotating opponents.  You'd get to play more SEC East opponents on rotation.  The SEC didn't want to give up the cupcake FCS game, which is ultimately a guaranteed W for most teams.  

I remember eating in an Atlanta restaurant after loosing to Tech.......I swear Tech fans are everybit as obnoxious as the turds.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Well we lost a couple to some very inferior Tech teams uggggg.......I still like the rivalry

14 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Well we lost a couple to some very inferior Tech teams uggggg.......I still like the rivalry

We got Tenutaed. Hard. And lost to Reggie Ball. Twice. 

24 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We got Tenutaed. Hard. And lost to Reggie Ball. Twice. 

I prefer to think of it as "we lost to that mutant freak Calvin Johnson" instead. Something about that is a lot more calming lol

Just now, Tiger said:

I prefer to think of it as "we lost to that mutant freak Calvin Johnson" instead. Something about that is a lot more calming lol

He did go for 66 and a touchdown in 2005. Once you run the Reggie Ball QB conversion, that comes out to 123 yards and 2 touchdowns. (Ball threw for around a buck fifty in both games, I believe.)

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He did go for 66 and a touchdown in 2005. Once you run the Reggie Ball QB conversion, that comes out to 123 yards and 2 touchdowns. (Ball threw for around a buck fifty in both games, I believe.)

lol @ Reggie Ball QB conversion. I swear that guy loved to play us! If I recall he wanted an offer from AU but Tubs offered Jason Campbell instead. I could be way off base but I feel like that was a storyline when Reggie was beating us.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

lol @ Reggie Ball QB conversion. I swear that guy loved to play us! If I recall he wanted an offer from AU but Tubs offered Jason Campbell instead. I could be way off base but I feel like that was a storyline when Reggie was beating us.

Good call. I had forgotten about that but I think you're right. 

Meanwhile,

‘McGarity [in Destin] said Georgia and Auburn simply made a sacrifice in 2012 for the good of the league, and it’s not one they can just take back…

“To undo it now, again, you’d need a much larger [group] of teams make changes, many more than three…

“So it’s one of those things where it might not have been the best for Georgia, but it was best for the conference.”

Apparently, McGarity and Auburn AD Allen Greene need to get the word to their respective head coaches…

Further encumbering the process is the SEC’s 4-4 requirement. SEC teams are required to play four conference home games and four conference away games every year. If Georgia and Auburn just decided to flip it back one year, then it’d mean they’d play three conference home games one year and five the next. The league wouldn’t allow that for competitive reasons, then it would throw the schools’ balance sheets out of balance.’ [insert mine]

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-football-schedule-georgia-auburn-game-setup-change-updates

Georgia, Auburn stuck with SEC home-and-away setup in football

Well, I don't see the SEC contracting back down to 12 teams (although I'd love to see Mizzou & Arkansas booted), and I don't see the conference expanding to 16 teams in the next 10 yrs.  So, we are stuck where we are with the current scheduling format.  Hopefully this topic can be put to bed for a while.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Well, I don't see the SEC contracting back down to 12 teams (although I'd love to see Mizzou & Arkansas booted), and I don't see the conference expanding to 16 teams in the next 10 yrs.  So, we are stuck where we are with the current scheduling format.  Hopefully this topic can be put to bed for a while.

apologies for waking it.

14 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

apologies for waking it.

I was not taking a dig at you man, sorry if it came across that way.

I've just seen so many threads and heard the local sports talk guys beat this subject to death since the '17 SECCG.  I'm glad to see it get addressed and if nothing else, clarified for the future.  It is what it is and the team, coaches and fans will just deal with it.

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

I was not taking a dig at you man, sorry if it came across that way.

I've just seen so many threads and heard the local sports talk guys beat this subject to death since the '17 SECCG.  I'm glad to see it get addressed and if nothing else, clarified for the future.  It is what it is and the team, coaches and fans will just deal with it.

No dig perceived.

My intent in posting was in agreement with your apparent sympathies.

Now KS wants Auburn to play two games at Georgia to pay them back for the back to back games at JHS! Haaaawww! SEC Country at dawgnation pod cast is where I saw it.

3 hours ago, toddc said:

Now KS wants Auburn to play two games at Georgia to pay them back for the back to back games at JHS! Haaaawww! SEC Country at dawgnation pod cast is where I saw it.

Man, cant stand Smart. A true through and through ThUga Dwag. 

5 hours ago, toddc said:

If that is what it took,. I would a agree to it.   Sell it to the GA recruits that they get to play in Athens 3 out of 4 years and let's go whip them.. 

Also,. Move the game earlier in the year.  Just get it done.  

Archived