Baseball at Ole Miss game 1

2 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

CBT is my guy, but he got too cute this weekend imo.

Abso-freaking-lutely correct

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SCTiger2011 said:

CBT is my guy, but he got too cute this weekend imo.  Take the next two Tigers

And the batters helped out. Bases loaded with 1 out in the third...no runs. Add in the attempted hit and run and the man on second with 1 out late without scoring and you have a tough loss. 

Go get em Casey!

1 minute ago, SCTiger2011 said:

CBT is my guy, but he got too cute this weekend imo.  Take the next two Tigers

Listening to the OM account of the game....they felt like they got a gift tonight not having to face Mize...and winning the first game of the series......hoping change of schedule works out for us the rest of the way. ...

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Listening to the OM account of the game....they felt like they got a gift tonight not having to face Mize...and winning the first game of the series......hoping change of schedule works out for us the rest of the way. ...

Here's my issue.  BT's job is to give the club their best shot to win every night.  He didn't do that today by screwing with the rotation and that's on him.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Here's my issue.  BT's job is to give the club their best shot to win every night.  He didn't do that today by screwing with the rotation and that's on him.

What stings worse is the guy tomorrow has actually been in better form during conference play.  Rollison had been close to full tilt the past few outings.  When your opponent is struggling, you send your number one draft pick out there to step on his throat and put him out of his misery

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Lots of coaches fall victim to being too "cute" at a critical moment....in this case, guess we should wait until Saturday night to draw any real conclusions....but I definitely would have preferred to see us 1-0 at this point with Burns on the mound Friday night. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Lots of coaches fall victim to being too "cute" at a critical moment....in this case, guess we should wait until Saturday night to draw any real conclusions....but I definitely would have preferred to see us 1-0 at this point with Burns on the mound Friday night. 

If you get wins out of Mize and Burns, this loss will hurt more to me.  DD pitched like a true 3rd starter tonight and that performance is probably good enough to win Saturday.

3 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Mize is a Fri night starter,  kept him on his normal schedule...  right?

Correct.

4 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Mize is a Fri night starter,  kept him on his normal schedule...  right?

The thing is though, in two weeks that schedule's going to blow up regardless.  The SEC tournament starts on Tuesday for anyone outside the top 4 seeds and Wednesday for the top 4 seeds.  So Casey's going to do a Friday/Tuesday three-day rest appearance probably anyways.  At least the move to Thursday would keep him an extra day for tournament time, if the whole thing is about keeping him fresh for postseason.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If you get wins out of Mize and Burns, this loss will hurt more to me.  DD pitched like a true 3rd starter tonight and that performance is probably good enough to win Saturday.

If we go 2 of 3 at a place where they’ve lost only 4 times this season I will be damn proud and happy with them. 

4 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

The thing is though, in two weeks that schedule's going to blow up regardless.  The SEC tournament starts on Tuesday for anyone outside the top 4 seeds and Wednesday for the top 4 seeds.  So Casey's going to do a Friday/Tuesday three-day rest appearance probably anyways.  At least the move to Thursday would keep him an extra day for tournament time, if the whole thing is about keeping him fresh for postseason.

Exactly this!

4 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

If we go 2 of 3 at a place where they’ve lost only 4 times this season I will be damn proud and happy with them. 

I won't complain about a road series win if it comes to fruition.  But I will look back it thinking we could have taken all three.

This thread is worse than the football ones. Bunch of crybabying by a bunch of know it alls. Just shutup already and see how the weekend plays out. If you all knew as much as you think you do, you would be coaching somewhere that mattered instead of babbling on a message board. Lotsa lame on here tonight.

20 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

This thread is worse than the football ones. Bunch of crybabying by a bunch of know it alls. Just shutup already and see how the weekend plays out. If you all knew as much as you think you do, you would be coaching somewhere that mattered instead of babbling on a message board. Lotsa lame on here tonight.

Nah thanks, bro, I pay tuition, I'll voice my OPINION regardless.  

30 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

9 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Nah thanks, bro, I pay tuition, I'll voice my OPINION regardless.  

3bJ5J.gif

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

I got paid (and still do as a side job) to be around the game.  You?

And no, I wouldn't want to coach.  I make more now doing what I do than most coaching baseball for a living.

Mize and Burns the next two days. I feel great about those two guys on the hill. Let’s just see what happens. One win keeps us in the hunt for a regional host. Two gives us a probable super regional 

My problem with it is matching your #3 guy against the oppnent's ace doesn't make any sense. As was noted above, you don't concede any SEC game and intentionally matching 3 vs. 1 is about as close to concession as one can get.

Also as noted above and as I have posted earlier, the "keep them on schedule" doesn't hold water either, it will be blown in a few days anyway.

Now, Butch is the guy I wanted us to hire back when we hired Pawloski and he's still my choice but apparently he has some things to learn.

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I got paid (and still do as a side job) to be around the game.  You?

And no, I wouldn't want to coach.  I make more now doing what I do than most coaching baseball for a living.

To be around the game.  You were some sort of announcer, right?  Did you ever actually play the game?  I can stand in my garage, but I'll never be a car.

Another thread that makes me want to puke.

46 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My problem with it is matching your #3 guy against the oppnent's ace doesn't make any sense. As was noted above, you don't concede any SEC game and intentionally matching 3 vs. 1 is about as close to concession as one can get.

Also as noted above and as I have posted earlier, the "keep them on schedule" doesn't hold water either, it will be blown in a few days anyway.

Now, Butch is the guy I wanted us to hire back when we hired Pawloski and he's still my choice but apparently he has some things to learn.

With Rollison’s struggles as of late, seems like it’s possible Thompson felt comfortable with throwing DD against him to try and get a win, and set us up nicely to take the last two as well. May have been eyeing a sweep- idk, trying to find some logic there 

9 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

To be around the game.  You were some sort of announcer, right?  Did you ever actually play the game?  I can stand in my garage, but I'll never be a car.

Another thread that makes me want to puke.

I played until high school, then knew where my talents where and focused on developing them.  However, I had long conversations every day with professional coaches, scouts, and players about situations, pitching mechanics, batting, approaches, etc while in locker rooms and on 9+ hour bus rides.  Some of those folks are in Cooperstown by the way.  Combine that with working over 500 games, seeing situations day in and day out, and you learn quite a bit.

Also, the argument that you had to play to understand the game is a stupid one.  Here's an older article, but it's a list of 10 college football coaches who never played either.  Basically, you don't have to "have played" to know the game.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2038878-top-10-college-football-head-coaches-who-never-played

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I played until high school, then knew where my talents where and focused on developing them.  However, I had long conversations every day with professional coaches, scouts, and players about situations, pitching mechanics, batting, approaches, etc while in locker rooms and on 9+ hour bus rides.  Some of those folks are in Cooperstown by the way.  Combine that with working over 500 games, seeing situations day in and day out, and you learn quite a bit.

Also, the argument that you had to play to understand the game is a stupid one.  Here's an older article, but it's a list of 10 college football coaches who never played either.  Basically, you don't have to "have played" to know the game.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2038878-top-10-college-football-head-coaches-who-never-played

Thanks....having played a game is vastly over rated as preparing a person to understand the nuances and strategies of a game...and certainly there is no correlation between skill or success at playing a game and being able to teach or coach it.

One other thought...last night's game was ESPNU......and I'm thinking they took the game expecting they could showcase the #1 pitcher in college baseball...Mize.....who as it turned out...did not pitch.   So tonight we are back to SEC Plus .......and streaming....

Hope the feed is better than usual....really love to watch that guy pitch. 

Not many individual players are worth the price of admission ...but he sure is.....

Archived