Baseball at Ole Miss game 1

40 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The usual day is Friday.  The usual rotation spot is #1.  I didn't forget the UF game though Belle.  In fact, I cited it earlier in the thread.  That same performance he gave us against Florida wins last night.  You are correct though that going 0-fer with RISP was a big issue last night.  What it boils down for me isn't whether it worked or not last night or if it could have worked with better hitting.  It's about putting your best out there before the cards are dealt.

I look at it like poker.  You can only go off the information that you have, so making the best decision possible with that info is paramount before calling/folding/going all-in.  After that, the cards may or may not fall your way.

If this is the case, then it's TOTALLY reasonable and I completely understand.  In fact, I'd support it.  But if that is the case, then Butch should come out and say it.  I think being so openly on the lookout like that for a kid's pro career could be a great recruiting tool.

You do understand that his usual rotation is # 1 because almost all of the SEC series start with the game on Friday. It makes no difference to him what the number  attached to it is at this point. It's the days in between games, and his set routine during the week that matter. Major leaguers have a set routine too and it keeps them in their groove.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

You cannot seriously believe that it would be a certainty that Auburn would win. You are really reaching there. You do know that FL homered off of Mize....right? Casey made some mistakes that cost Auburn. No one knows for sure what would've happened last night, and that argument is just nonsense. HITTING is what cost Auburn last night. You are so entrenched in your position that it seems like you didn't watch the same game. Pitching was serviceable outside of those 3 pitches by DD. And he needed to get out there and sink or swim because Auburn needs him to straighten out. It was a good opportunity to get DD going again. Casey is not the only pitcher that Butch has to worry about btw. 

My BIL was a major league pitcher and I agree with POD. Baseball is such an intricate sport that having played on a very high level is necessary to really understand the game in the SEC. I have learned so much from my BIL about baseball that most people just don't get. And I grew up in a baseball kind of family.  He just has experience ....on the elite college level and in MLB that can't be matched.

A successful coach who hasn't played is obviously smart enough to listen to those that have, and to learn from them. I guarantee that he/she has made sure to be surrounded by those who are experienced on the field as well as on the sidelines. You just can't substitute for that kind of knowledge.

Sorry for the delayed response.  Went out last night after my last post to watch hockey.

My position is entrenched because I'm going off of information I had before the series started.  At the time of my post, I said if we got the same start Casey had against UF, we win Thursday.  Casey went 7 IP against UF.  DD went 5 IP against OM and both gave up three runs in those respective starts.  Those two extra innings change the entire nature of the game, especially how we would have used the pen.  Now with the benefit of last night's game, it doesn't matter in hindsight.  But I didn't have that info at the time.

As for knowing the game, that convo stemmed from a situation in Game 1 (the hit and run).  My point is that you don't have to have played to understand situations.  I'll stick by that every day of the week.  Have I learned from people who played?  Sure have.  But I've also picked up some great knowledge from acute observers along the way, particularly around situational baseball.  Players and coaches don't even know the rule book sometimes.  Can't tell you how many arguments I got into with coaches about what constitutes an error and what doesn't, many times with them trying to cite rules that simply don't exist in written or unwritten form.

13 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

You do understand that his usual rotation is # 1 because almost all of the SEC series start with the game on Friday. It makes no difference to him what the number  attached to it is at this point. It's the days in between games, and his set routine during the week that matter. Major leaguers have a set routine too and it keeps them in their groove.

This point falls flat to me when practically every other #1 for SEC teams this season pitched on Thursday when called upon.  In fact, I don't recall another team using this strategy at all this season, though I could be wrong here.  If you listen to Casey's in game interview Thursday, you could tell he was a bit miffed at not throwing that night.

14 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Overworking a pitcher causes injury. And the stress is cumulative starting in childhood....so it is vital to a kid with a multi-million dollar career ahead of him to take care of his arm. Having a coach that wants the best for his players is admirable. There's no need for Casey to be stupid about his career at this point. He can still play for his team and his school without being reckless.

Damn, this thing goes on and on. My thought is that using a pitcher with five or six days rest is in no sense overworking him. At any rate, We can say Mize is used to pitching on Friday or Mize is used to pitching the first game. Who can say what he really thinks or if he even cares or if it makes the slightest bit of difference?

When you intentionally match your #3 guy up against the opponent's #1 guy, you are looking for trouble. Oh wait, I said that earlier! I don't have to apologize though, a lot of what's in this thread has been repeated.

What I'd do, which I've done in times past, is tell my pitcher after his current game is over: "You'll be going with ______(plug in three, four or five) days rest. Get ready accordingly." But then, I'm a dinosaur, from the days when arm problems were no more frequent than they are these days.

18 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Overworking a pitcher causes injury. And the stress is cumulative starting in childhood....so it is vital to a kid with a multi-million dollar career ahead of him to take care of his arm. Having a coach that wants the best for his players is admirable. There's no need for Casey to be stupid about his career at this point. He can still play for his team and his school without being reckless.

There is no objective measurement of "overworking"....,might as well worry about OL lifting weights too frequently to too much.  Granted it's a coaches judgment but pitching on 6 days instead of 7 days is a far cry from "overworking".

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

There is no objective measurement of "overworking"....,might as well worry about OL lifting weights too frequently to too much.  Granted it's a coaches judgment but pitching on 6 days instead of 7 days is a far cry from "overworking".

http://www.radiologytoday.net/archive/rt0215p14.shtml

Archived