** 2019 4* CB/Nickel Zion Puckett commits to AU!!!

ellitor

Updated (8/17/18): Zion commits to AU!!!

What has Auburn on top? "I really can't explain it," Puckett said. "It's the feeling, the love I feel at that school. I feel like I can play early." 

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/The-love-at-Auburn-has-Tigers-on-top-with-4-star-defensive-back-recruit-Zion-Puckett-120472784/

• AU likes him at CB
  • Most teams liked him at WR
  • Recruiter: Garner (P), Woodson (S); Strong relationship with Woodson
  • Former teammate of Brodarious Hamm
  • 23 major conference offers including 10 from the SEC

Puckett is on the cusp of being a top-100 prospect in the 2019 class, checking in as the 104th-best player nationally in the 247Sports Composite rankings, which also has him as the nation's seventh-ranked athlete and the No. 11 player in the state of Georgia. Although he's listed as an athlete, Puckett projects as a cornerback in college.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/08/decision_day_zion_puckett.html

BE7833A8-A08E-4BCB-ADDB-EA02D8BFAAA8.jpeg

2019 Commit List

Edited by ellitor

Hmm interesting. I guess it really depends on what position the kid has more interest in. He has good size for CB at the high school level and he can only get even bigger during his tenure at college. I imagine the coaching staff is willing sell his size as a pathway to what NFL teams are now fascinated by at the corner position.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Hmm interesting. I guess it really depends on what position the kid has more interest in. He has good size for CB at the high school level and he can only get even bigger during his tenure at college. I imagine the coaching staff is willing sell his size as a pathway to what NFL teams are now fascinated by at the corner position.

FWIW He is expecting to play CB in college although he would like a shot at WR too.

• Thanks 1

Wow I really like that he has good hands. Carlton Davis was one hell of a corner but he didn't have sticky hands per se. Would love to see more turnovers and picks! 

9 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Offering a whole lot of CB’s...

Fine by me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

We've got quite a deficit there and at safety.  Numbers are there at corner, but there seems to be a talent gap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We've got quite a deficit there and at safety.  Numbers are there at corner, but there seems to be a talent gap.

Lots of CB talent in this upcoming class fortunately!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Probably discussed elsewhere, but do you see any of these CBs being able to play safety?

Edit: Of the ones in this recruiting cycle

Edited by McLoofus

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Probably discussed elsewhere, but do you see any of these CBs being able to play safety?

Edit: Of the ones in this recruiting cycle

Possibly.  We've targeted a lot of taller, longer guys.

• Like 1

I would say any could play nickel or safety of the longer guys.  This kid is heck of a backup plan if we were to miss on Stephenson and Booth.  

The coaches ain’t gonna be left searching this year at any positions.  They have set their top level board and working on backup options now.  Will have that completed in the next few weeks.  Youll start to see some names popping up out of nowhere and they  will finish out the top 5 at each position group.  Mostly if they miss the top targets.  

Example-  Ramel Keyton wanted to commit to AU.  They have much bigger dogs on their board even as backup plans.  Therefore AU passed.  I know it came out that he’s a take if he committed but I think Kodi is in a position to wait until the big dogs walk.  However we won’t be scrambling in December looking for a backup plan

The one position group that is the exception is OL will take longer to evaluate.  They seem to add more size and strength going from juniors to seniors then any grouping.  Same for DL but coach G knows the athletic style of player he likes and if he sees the potential for the size he likes as well he knows he can coach them up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Going to be an AU/Bama/OhioSt/Tenn battle. Kid is a future NFL DB or WR, best raw athlete I’ve ever seen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

OP was me thinking we had the numbers there. Never thought about the talent, but after looking at who all we have, you’re right the talent gap is significant. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Most seem to be bigger CB's who could also play safety.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Most seem to be bigger CB's who could also play safety.

But where is our Richard Sherman 6'3" corner? lol

15 minutes ago, Zeek said:

6'3 CBs who can do the job well are hard to come by.

• Like 2

Just now, ellitor said:

6'3 CBs who can do the job well are hard to come by.

I know, just teasing a little bit. We do have a bunch of guys lined up for this class with really good size at the position. We used to only have 5'10" guys

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Next to our 230lb Kam Chancellor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Next to our 230lb Kam Chancellor

RS is with the 49ers now.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Nice one E!! You need to bring yourself to the NFL thread every now and then. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I wasn't commenting so much about where either play, but rather the fact that we don't have either type on our roster.

• Thanks 1

Auburn contending for under-mentioned Georgia athlete

Here’s a top-10 list of note and a recruitment to keep an eye on the next few months.

Zion Puckett is listed as the No. 36 wide receiver in the country and the No. 227 overall prospect nationally. Those marks make him the 25th-ranked player in Georgia.

I bring those specific rankings up for a few reasons:

• Auburn doesn’t necessarily view Puckett as a wide receiver. It’s not that the Tigers don’t think he could become a solid receiver. Simply, Auburn views Puckett as one of the highest cornerbacks on its board.
  • As a result of that status on Auburn’s board, he is neither seen as the 227th overall prospect or the 25th prospect in Georgia. He’s much higher in the minds of Tigers decision makers.

His top 10 included Alabama, Auburn, Duke, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, South Carolina, Stanford, Tennessee and Texas A&M. Puckett’s relationship with Auburn cornerbacks coach Marcus Woodson is among the strongest. His return visits to the Plains in the near future should be closely followed.

Also of note: Puckett plays for the same Cam Newton 7-on-7 team with players committed to or linked to Auburn such as Bo Nix, Owen Pappoe, Jaylin Simpson, George Pickens and Jashawn Sheffield. Those relationships won’t define the decision, but they can’t hurt.

On 5/11/2018 at 11:34 AM, AUinGA44 said:

Going to be an AU/Bama/OhioSt/Tenn battle. Kid is a future NFL DB or WR, best raw athlete I’ve ever seen.

Well that's bold.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Zion Puckett, mother of 5-star LB share recruiting insight

Quietely Zion Puckett has emerged as a big Auburn target.

The 4-star athlete from Griffin (Ga.) Spalding is a 4-star recruit who can be a receiver or cornerback at the next level. He said this week Auburn has told him he can play on either side of the football but Puckett may land on defense if he chooses to be a Tiger. That's because he thinks he has more long-term potential there.

Earlier this week, Auburn Undercover profiled Puckett. You can find that article HERE. In it, he said he will visit the Tigers on June 2 for Big Cat Weekend then return in the fall for an official visit. From the sound of things, his interest in Auburn appears to be strong.

One reason for that is his relationship with Tigers secondary coach Marcus Woodson.

"He's a family type guy," Puckett said. "I'm kind of getting a bond with him."

Puckett said his family also is high on the Tigers. One reason for that:"It's not too far and it's not too close (from home)," Puckett said. "It's a good traveling time for them to make a game whenever they want."

While he has no official leaders, Puckett said Wednesday night Auburn, Alabama, Ohio State, South Carolina and Tennessee stand out at the moment. Asked which ones are recruiting him hardest, he replied, “Auburn, Alabama and Tennessee.”

On this week's SEC Recruiting Buzz podcast, Puckett went more in detail about the overall of his recruitment. In addition to talking about Auburn, he shared some insight into what he likes about the other major schools involved with him. The Gamecocks, for instance, project him on offense.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1