• Last Reply
39 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Do we know when he is going to commit?

Yes

39 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Is he going to wait until signing day?

Has always been his plan.

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

I agree swing and misses hurt but how can you say Kerryon wasn't a game changer...must less those others guys. Fournette running rough shed through the AU defense a couple years ago and Mathews jumping over him to avoid having to hit him......

And its not about yearly stats that make a person a game changer though those can be indicators.  Its a player who can literally put a team on his back and win the game almost by himself. Like Kerryon did against UGA a couple years ago. You remember those first downs he got where the uga DE was in the backfield and he just ran around him? That is a game changing play by a game changing player. 

It's easy to see them in retrospect....but check the top ten or fifteen running backs from 2015 and 2016 and which ones were "game changers" for their teams?   Some good guys in the grouping but JMO, none personally made much difference for their teams.   2014 was an exceptional year and we got Roc.

https://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=BACK

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=BACK

As for KJ,  I was a big fan from day one because he was a good guy, not just a good ball players...and he did carry the team on his back on more than one occasion. and was listed as "athlete"   The year he came the big name was Javon Robinson.....our "game changer"....

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

which ones were "game changers" for their teams?

Nyheim Hines, Derrius Guice, Ronald Jones, Saquon Barkley, Tavien Feaster, Elijah Holyfield

Those are just the ones that I know. There are two guys out of the total top 30 from those 2 years that are still playing for bama, and no, RBs aren't "game changers" at bama because every player on the team would be a game changer anywhere else. 

Zeke Elliott, Melvin Gordon, Todd Gurley, CJ Anderson, Leveon Bell... just a few game changers at RB in the NFL. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't take a "really good RB" early in favor of a possible "elite" back late, but there are definitely elite backs that we would be a better football team with on our roster.

Put it another way. Replace Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams with two of the fair-to-middling guys from your lists and how good do you think we are in 2004?

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The year he came the big name was Javon Robinson.....our "game changer"....

Oh, and a healthy, engaged Jovon Robinson would have made that 2015 team MUCH better. Like, he's a perfect example of what your team is without that game changing RB.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

It's easy to see them in retrospect....but check the top ten or fifteen running backs from 2015 and 2016 and which ones were "game changers" for their teams?   Some good guys in the grouping but JMO, none personally made much difference for their teams.   2014 was an exceptional year and we got Roc.

https://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=BACK

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=BACK

As for KJ,  I was a big fan from day one because he was a good guy, not just a good ball players...and he did carry the team on his back on more than one occasion. and was listed as "athlete"   The year he came the big name was Javon Robinson.....our "game changer"....

I’m confused now on what we are talking about. You said there are no game changers at the RB position which I though was crazy talk. And that’s what I posted about. 

This seems like a different discussion about the likely hood of top 15 rated backs becoming a game changer. 

Maybe I misunderstood the first post I responded too

15 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I’m confused now on what we are talking about. You said there are no game changers at the RB position which I though was crazy talk. And that’s what I posted about. 

This seems like a different discussion about the likely hood of top 15 rated backs becoming a game changer. 

You didn't misunderstand anything. The target is highly mobile. 

Although I'll give him credit for doubling down. He posted a list that included Saquon Barkley and said that nobody on said list "personally made much difference for their teams". Gotta admit, that takes balls to say. 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I'm saying you can't identify the game changers when they are 17 for the most part. and to concentrate your recruiting efforts on a couple top 3 or 4 rated kids (to the exclusion of others) is a huge roll of the dice. and not worth the risk.   The idea that we are appearing to wait until MAR makes his decision before getting another back is DUMB IMO.  I would prefer getting guys who fulfill a need and then someone like MAR is a bonus if you happen to get him;

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm saying you can't identify the game changers when they are 17 for the most part

What???? Do you watch any HS RB highlights? You can typically tell if a guy is a game changer just by looking at size, competition, stats, and athletic ability. All of which are accessible to a staff. 

If his point is that you're equally likely to land a game changer at RB #20 as you are at RB #1, I guess I see the point. I'd say it's up the coaching staff to prioritize guys because you can't recruit every single guy. Good evaluators hit more often than the less good ones (although no one is 100%). But Bama landing Damian Harris (#1) one year and Josh Jacobs (#70ish) the next shows good talent evaluation.

As for Auburn, we're not waiting on MAR before getting another back. We have DJ Williams. We're waiting on MAR as our second back. That fact matters quite a bit in analyzing whether it's a good strategy or not. Also, results matter. If we end up getting him, it was a good risk. If not, it bit us in the butt. And if he ends up signing with us and becoming a game changer, it was great strategy. It's that old saying that it's a results driven business.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:33 PM, McLoofus said:

I'm not saying we shouldn't take a "really good RB" early in favor of a possible "elite" back late, but there are definitely elite backs that we would be a better football team with on our roster

I would say that's what we should be doing. Take a real good back early then try to land the homerun back. That way if you miss on the homerun back you still have a really good back. And you  could also have lesser rated back as fall back plan to the homerun type back if we miss and you need two backs.

4 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I saw Coach Dan Mullen showed up to visit MAR in his fancy hilocopter

Good. Maybe somebody not named Nick Saban using some questionable recruiting tactics will spur the NCAA into action.

15 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Good. Maybe somebody not named Nick Saban using some questionable recruiting tactics will spur the NCAA into action.

I don't think there's an NCAA problem with a coach coming to a visit via helicopter. Our bus tours got stopped because we were going from school to school, which is a different thing from visiting one individual.

19 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

As long as there aren't more than 2 coaches on the helicopter, it's allowed. 

Tiger Prowl got stopped because we were sending the whole staff. 

I'd be all for them making helicopters impermissible, though. If anything is perfect representation of how screwed up priorities have gotten in college sports, that's it. That's a hell of a lot of money to spend and fuel wasted on a size comparison. 

55 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

There's nothing questionable about it. A number of coaches do it. It's no more questionable than Gus taking recruits for a ride in his fancy sports car.

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Cool factoid. Where did you get it?

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Cool factoid. Where did you get it?

Apologies, I saw it somewhere recently but can't remember specifically where. I'll try to dig up a link.

Here you go, @ellitor. Evidently "extravagant buses and limousines" were also prohibited, though? Sort of vague.

the NCAA Division I Board of Directors passed a rule that same day limiting the number of coaches to two that can visit a recruit in the same day during an evaluation period

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/10586/new-ncaa-rule-bans-tiger-prowl-recruiting

No reason to tag me, especially when I'm active & just posted in a thread. I do check all recruiting threads. Thanks for the find though.

20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Here you go, @ellitor. Evidently "extravagant buses and limousines" were also prohibited, though? Sort of vague.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/10586/new-ncaa-rule-bans-tiger-prowl-recruiting

This isn’t evaluation period. That should be noted. Could our staff bring multiple helicopters for an in house visit? 

20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

the NCAA Division I Board of Directors passed a rule that same day limiting the number of coaches to two that can visit a recruit in the same day during an evaluation period

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Tiger Prowl got stopped because we were sending the whole staff. 

I'd be all for them making helicopters impermissible, though. If anything is perfect representation of how screwed up priorities have gotten in college sports, that's it. That's a hell of a lot of money to spend and fuel wasted on a size comparison. 

I like this one for Gus. :)

Screenshot_20190130-182431~2.png

I heard  USNA coach has asked for appropriations for a nuclear sub to be avail for his recruiting trips.  Not sure he is going to reach many recruits that are inland.   

That could be just a rumor.      If he pulls this off,  showing up in a sub will trump the helicopter gag.  

Archived