2019 4* RB Mark-Antony Richards

ellitor

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They should give those things a name to avoid confusion. 

My point is none of what Beaker said looked like any questionary. It all looked like assertive statements/opinions.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

My point is none of what Beaker said looked like any questionary. It all looked like assertive statements/opinions.

My bad, my friend. I was actually just riffing on Bird's joke and not poking at you. I had the same question in my head when I read Beaker's post. Just assumed it was an invitation for others to respond. 

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

What are the ?s for?

sorry for the confusion...

Just wondering if am I missing anything ?      (What else belongs with this thought?)   I guess it's an inference.    

14 hours ago, Beaker said:

sorry for the confusion...

Just wondering if am I missing anything ?      (What else belongs with this thought?)   I guess it's an inference.    

I thought your post was well stated FWIW.

On 6/13/2018 at 6:30 PM, ellitor said:

RB but he's no where near close to committing so it doesn't matter right now.

I really like reading your posts. You seem to have a grasp of our recruiting. Any updates on RB targets? Gary? What about tye Edwards? I watched his highlights and love him. Do we not have any interest there?

6 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I think its safe to say Mark is our top and most likely to land target at this time. 

Thought Cain was top until committed elsewhere?

MAR is likely out of reach as well

Have a feeling we'll take a 3* with a good frame and a lot of heart

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Thought Cain was top until committed elsewhere?

MAR is likely out of reach as well

Have a feeling we'll take a 3* with a good frame and a lot of heart

after what happened Saturday I don’t think Cain is a possibility anymore. LSU is probably his top right now. MAR wants to play offense, also likes us a lot. We’ll see what the staff does. 

• 1 month later...

Mark-Antony Richards drawn to Auburn's plan for him on offense

Woimrj8wvcdj7ejtt90i

Ben Wolk • AuburnSports.com

Mark-Antony Richards hasn't just been paying attention to Auburn's 2018 season. He keeps a close eye on all of the Tigers games.

"Oh, I watch every one," Richards said, almost laughing off the fact it was even a question.

If you follow Richards on Twitter, you've likely seen his immediate postgame reactions — yes, even after losses — with a "#WDE" post or some other form of pro-Auburn post. His interest in the Tigers stems from his brother's recruitment, which put Richards in contact with Gus Malzahn & Co. since eighth grade.

Richards' connection with Auburn grew further this summer when he and his parents made a multi-day stay. It included in-depth conversations with Auburn coaches and university professors.

After that trip, he made sure to watch Auburn every Saturday.

What he's seen: Offensive weapons like Anthony Schwartz and Shaun Shivers being used in creative ways. Richards has an even greater appreciation for it given the conversations he had on the Plains over the summer.

"One thing they said to me when I went up there: They don't mind playing freshmen. That was something that stuck out to me. I love how they're using the freshmen. It just shows you that anybody could play," Richards said. "I feel like they've been doing a pretty good job. I know they've lost three games, but I think this is where they have a chance to bounce back, especially after the huge win against Ole Miss. This is where they can start playing Auburn football again."

In that regard, other programs will be playing catchup to Auburn.

He will take his first official visit to Penn State this weekend. It will be Richards' first time visiting the northern part of the United States. Richards also has official visits planned to Auburn on Nov. 3, Florida on Nov. 10 and Miami sometime in December.

His question he'll ask the Nittany Lions coaching staff (and all other coaches on his official visits): How do they plan to use him in their offense?

"I just want to know how I were to be utilized if I were to go to a school, how they use me," Richards said. "No. 1, I'll ask where they plan to utilize me the most. I want to know how they'll use me on offense. That's something I'm going to ask."

Richards maintains Auburn has laid out the best, most clear plan for him so far.

His simple description of that role: "All I can really describe it as: just, really, a versatile offensive player," Richards said.

Richards has the ability to play running back, which is why his style has drawn comparisons to former Auburn running back Kerryon Johnson. His pass-catching ability, however, has led some programs across the country to evaluate Richards as a wide receiver. Some have looked at him as a defensive back, but Richards — like he told Miami — has said he only wants to be looked at as an offensive player, which the Hurricanes obliged.

That versatility encouraged Auburn to put a well-rounded plan in place of how to use Richards.

While there are no public leaders, the Tigers likely have an edge in that regard.

"Auburn, they're the school that I know has a solid plan for me. That's something that has stood out to me since I went up there in the summer and spoke about it. I'm very interested in how they plan to use me," Richards said. "They're just letting me know I'm one of their top priorities. I really like the way they plan to utilize me. I think that's going to be a 'mystery' role if I were to go there. That's definitely something that I'd be looking forward to if I were to go there."

Either one would be a good pickup and both would be gravy. This year maybe because of minor injuries or maybe because the staff has changed a little we have seen Auburn utilize multiple running backs. I hope the trend continues and both of these RB's are in the sweet spot for RB 5'11" to 6'1/2" and just under or over 200 pounds in HS which means they can easily get to 205-215 range which is almost ideal. Mark-Anthony appears to be faster.

45 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

we have seen Auburn utilize multiple running backs.

For the most part though just 1 of potentially 3 of our primary RBs in Boobee. I love K-Mart & Worm but K-Mart is a complimentary RB & Worm may be as well. We need to use more than 1 primary RB like Bama, UGA, & so many good running teams do.

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We need to use more than 1 primary RB like Bama, UGA, & so many good running teams do.

Kam has 73 carries, compared to Boobee’s 100. The wealth has been spread out more than normally. That’s only because it took longer for a back to separate from the pack.

This season's been so weird and the offense so dysfunctional, it's hard to tell what we want to do with the RB rotation vs what the staff feels like it has to do. And of course there are questions now about Whitlow's health. I'm not making any assumptions about how anything is going to go. But if Whitlow does peak at 19 or so carries a game, that's improvement and a way better sell than "You can either be KJ or you can be one of the other 4 guys on roster. Good luck." 

Right now it feels like several of the guys could get some meaningful reps in just about any game. That's different than the last couple seasons to me. But I agree that we need 2 true RB1 caliber guys at any given time and we need to use them.

(And, in Gus's defense, we need guys to quit having attitudes/getting injured before the season really gets going/not qualifying. There has been some unusually bad luck along the way.)

23 hours ago, ellitor said:

For the most part though just 1 of potentially 3 of our primary RBs in Boobee. I love K-Mart & Worm but K-Mart is a complimentary RB & Worm may be as well. We need to use more than 1 primary RB like Bama, UGA, & so many good running teams do.

I agree with you that we need to feature more than one RB. But first we also need to find some OL who can block

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I agree with you that we need to feature more than one RB. But first we also need to find some OL who can block

C. Both of the above.

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

Is Emery back in consideration after his decommit from Georgia shortly ago?

Not for AU. Could help us with Cain though.

Watching his film he is an extremely fluid athlete.  He makes every position he plays look easy on both Offense and Defense.

Archived