Prediction- Players to take the next step

corchjay

1. NCM - expect big things from Nate this year.  Hearing work ethic and ability to get open and catch is improving.

2.  Marlon Davidson - he’s already a star and fan favorite but Nick Coe is pushing for his spot.  Nicks ability to rush the passer as well as set the edge is hard to overlook.  Marlon will accept the challenge and get back to his intense “hustle” and hold him off.  I expect both to play 40-50 snaps a game with their ability to move inside as well.

3.  Stidham -  the RPO will come back with a vengeance to help the run game.  NCM and which ever TE will take the short quick passes.  And Barrett motioning into the back field as a second back on flair from fake give or fake keep.  Yardage will go up for Stid about 50 a game just from that 

4.  Horton -  big Mike will be the on field leader of the OL.  How he holds the guys accountable won’t be seen on the tape but will be a major reason the guys get their tales in gear and force them to fight harder when the game is on the line.

5.  K-Mart -  15 carries a game averaging about 6.5 - 7 yards per attempt.  Plus home run threat every run.  

6.  Dean/Peters - both will step up but will get overlooked on the back end because they won’t get the credit they deserve that will go to the pressure from the front but I love Peters on field football awareness.  

Anyone have others they would like to add or debate?

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

3.  Stidham -  the RPO will come back with a vengeance to help the run game.  NCM and which ever TE will take the short quick passes.  And Barrett motioning into the back field as a second back on flair from fake give or fake keep.  Yardage will go up for Stid about 50 a game just from that 

I said flair meant flare... @GwillMac6 @ellitor Can I get a woooh gif? lol 

Daniel Thomas. Steele said he didn't have one bad practice all spring. It would be great to have him step up and be the man with Dinson even though I selfishly want Smoke to be at the spot. It would be better because of experience.

I’ll go with my boy Tega. Think he’s gonna really blossom into a beast this year under Grimes. I think Slayton balls out this year as well but I’ve been saying that for like two years. 

Great topic. Good list in the OP. Glad to hear you say that about Davidson. Even more encouraging about Peters. Agree about Horton. I always pay attention to the guys who do the most interviews in the spring. Wouldn't be surprised if he's in Birmingham with Gus for SECMD. 

Big difference in my "hope" list and "expect" list. I'll stick to the latter. 

I think Malik Miller is capable of Peyton Barber-type production. He won't get 1,000 yards because he's not going to get as many carries, but I think he's good for 4-4.5 ypc and can play a meaningful role for us in short yardage and clock control situations. I think he's going to set himself up to be a key player in 2019. 

Deshaun Davis. He's been preparing to lead this defense since before he actually sent his fax in. He plays mostly smart and pretty mean. I think he's going to be a poor man's version of what we were hoping to get from Blackmon and Freeman. 

I think Iggy has special potential as a return guy. 

Hard to see Ryan Davis replicating what he did last season, especially if the ball gets spread around more, but that's one of those deals where he can be even more effective per touch if your predictions on NCM, Barrett and the TE come true and defenses have to be more honest. 

I'll stop there and defer to everyone else.

My top 5 to step up their game even further:

1. K-Mart - I have always really liked him and if he can stay healthy *knocks on wood* and hold onto the ball *knocks on wood* he has enough ability to be "that guy" at the running back position this year. Personally I think he'll be asked to do less than leading RBs before him and that's all for the better. It will be a fun time in the Auburn backfield this year!

2. Jarrett Stidham - As many have mentioned we're lucky to have him back. As I have mentioned, he should be happy that he returned. He had a tremendous year passing last season but he also has a lot of room to continue to grow. I think he'll put together one hell of a resume this year as he eyes an early departure to the NFL and looks to secure a round 1 pick. He has a tremendous group of receivers and the OL seems to be coming together.

3. Prince Tega - Speaking of OL, I really like what we keep hearing about the Prince. I'm hoping we get to see him be an utter mauler in the run game and an anchor for the pass game. Very glad that we have different coaching for the line this year and I think he'll be the one that benefits the most from the change. A few others have discussed that he has the physical ability, now with added fundamentals he should be a beast for us.

4. TD Moultry - We have been very fortunate to have "that guy" at edge rusher the last few seasons. It feels like every season we are like "how will we replace *insert awesome edge rusher* he is too awesome!" Then we have someone step in and it seems like we're blessed at the position. I think Moultry might be that guy this year.

5. NCM - Simply put I have been waiting for him to be a featured receiver for a minute now and I know just what he could be. Really hoping that this is the year where he becomes a household name in the southeast.

***Honorable mention*** our 3 senior linebackers as a unit

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I’ll go with my boy Tega. Think he’s gonna really blossom into a beast this year under Grimes. I think Slayton balls out this year as well but I’ve been saying that for like two years. 

I'd say Slayton did well with his chances last year. I think all the WRs eat more this year because the system that is getting them the ball will be more efficient. 

Is it just me?

or is this thread starting to look like a Black Friday mob before "Man Crush" opens their doors?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Great topic. Good list in the OP. Glad to hear you say that about Davidson. Even more encouraging about Peters. Agree about Horton. I always pay attention to the guys who do the most interviews in the spring. Wouldn't be surprised if he's in Birmingham with Gus for SECMD. 

Big difference in my "hope" list and "expect" list. I'll stick to the latter. 

I think Malik Miller is capable of Peyton Barber-type production. He won't get 1,000 yards because he's not going to get as many carries, but I think he's good for 4-4.5 ypc and can play a meaningful role for us in short yardage and clock control situations. I think he's going to set himself up to be a key player in 2019. 

Deshaun Davis. He's been preparing to lead this defense since before he actually sent his fax in. He plays mostly smart and pretty mean. I think he's going to be a poor man's version of what we were hoping to get from Blackmon and Freeman. 

I think Iggy has special potential as a return guy. 

Hard to see Ryan Davis replicating what he did last season, especially if the ball gets spread around more, but that's one of those deals where he can be even more effective per touch if your predictions on NCM, Barrett and the TE come true and defenses have to be more honest. 

I'll stop there and defer to everyone else.

I like Malik Miller but I think he will continue to be a mop up guy. He puts the ball on the ground too much. In games last year and even this past ADay he fumbles too much. He would have been a great compliment to KJ last year but I don't believe the coaches trust him when a game is close. 

Hope I am wrong.

28 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I like Malik Miller but I think he will continue to be a mop up guy. He puts the ball on the ground too much. In games last year and even this past ADay he fumbles too much. He would have been a great compliment to KJ last year but I don't believe the coaches trust him when a game is close. 

Hope I am wrong.

I agree with you on ball security but he will be by far the best pass blocker and I do expect more passing this year.  

I would like to see Moultry and/or Big Cat have a big year! It seems when we don’t have that edge rusher we struggle with pass defense a little. The secondary needs the qb to be hurried while they get some backups ready to play big time SEC football!

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

I would like to see Moultry and/or Big Cat have a big year! It seems when we don’t have that edge rusher we struggle with pass defense a little. The secondary needs the qb to be hurried while they get some backups ready to play big time SEC football!

Agreed.  Making the opposing QB uncomfortable is now the defenses primary objective and also stopping the run.  You do both and you can win a lot of games.  

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Hope I am wrong.

Definitely a concern. No argument here. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'd say Slayton did well with his chances last year. I think all the WRs eat more this year because the system that is getting them the ball will be more efficient. 

Shoot...I sure hope you are right

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I wouldn't be surprised if TD had a better year than Jeff. Though I think he and Big Kat will rotate more.

Many very good choices here.  Especially with Tega and Daniel Thomas.

I will go with Jarrett Stidham.  Last year he had a lot of rust to knock off.  But his biggest issue was his footwork and foot placement when releasing the football.  This shoulder surgery may have been a blessing in disguise because that is literally all he worked on in the spring.  That pure focus and repetition will make it muscle memory.  This will also position him to make the first correct step when stepping up in the pocket or escaping the pocket if our like does not hold up.  This will help him with the draft.

Very excited to see his progress, along with everyone else that was mentioned.  Also looking forward to seeing dark horses emerge that no one knows about.  

Good article on guys who made great strides in the spring and good weight gain/loss!

https://scout.com/college/auburn/ContentGallery/Auburn-Football-10-Biggest-Risers-In-Spring-For-The-Tigers-118128677/#118128677_1

On 5/12/2018 at 3:25 PM, The Plainsman said:

Hmm. I will go with our New Kicker.  

I will go with both of our new Kickers the Aussie from Down Under and Carlson's brother.  We really need a Punter who can change field position and we are spoiled with Carlson's FG kicking so having his younger brother take over is ideal.  I am really hoping those who say Prince will have a monster year are correct that would go a long way in making this a really good team. We are solid at guard with Horton and Harrel and we now have three solid Tackles in addition to Prince in Ashley, Troxell and Driscol and lately I have hear that Sharp may be a Leff type who develops late. Now we need a Center to take the role and run with it.

Sullivan to Beasley, ur, I mean Stidham to Myers.

Tega to go Beast Mode.

Kam Martin to make 2017 Gus look sillier than he was and 2018 Gus to look genius.

The defensive front seven to remind us of 1986-1989.

Archived