Important tidbit about Boobee Whitlow

WFE12

Auburn football: Don’t forget this important tidbit about Auburn RB ‘Boobee’ Whitlow

Lauren Shrute

How well can JaTarvious “Boobee” Whitlow pass protect?

AUBURN, Ala. — JaTarvious “Boobee” Whitlow established himself as a capable runner for Auburn football this spring, but to be the Tigers’ go-to player in the backfield, he’ll have to do more than just pick up yards.

Fortunately for Whitlow, LaFayette (Ala.) High School coach James Lucas played football at Troy, and he understood that requirement well before Whitlow signed with Auburn.

“I taught him the way to block and he’s quarterbacked for me, so he understands pass blocking, too,” Lucas said. “He knows that you make the defensive man go around the quarterback, not cut inside.”

MORE: Determining the best Auburn running back jersey number isn’t easy

Whitlow’s pass-blocking ability might not be flawless, but he’s the kind of player who can perfect his technique. Playing offense on the Plains didn’t always seem like it would be a sure thing, so the underclassman doesn’t take his opportunity lightly.

“He is not afraid of contact. He’s never been afraid of contact,” Lucas said. “He played strong safety on defense and he will knock your head off. Auburn had offered him on the defensive side of the ball the day after he left a recruiting camp, but he told them he wanted to play offense.”

Even after a strong spring, Lucas is convinced one of Whitlow’s biggest strengths is his mindset. He doesn’t want to let down anyone around him. Getting complacent is something he’s conscious of, and that’s not going to happen.

MORE: Blast from the Auburn football past: Which former player fits best on this year’s roster 

“He’s very humble and he listens very well. He learns every day,” Lucas said. “He understands being a leader on and off the field. He knows his name doesn’t just belong to him, it belongs to his family — his aunts, uncles, grandparents, all these people. When you tarnish your last name, everything falls downhill.”

It may seem a little dramatic, but when a player is that focused on doing his best, something like improving pass blocking just seems trivial in the big picture.

Some fans, players or even coaches may still have their doubts about Whitlow’s pass-blocking ability or other aspects of his game. Lucas says that’s quite alright.

“Let me tell you about Whitlow: Whitlow will make a believer out of you,” Lucas said. “He’ll make you believe.”

Boobee is electric and I feel that he will bring a lot of joy to the Plains. From coaches' comments to what I saw on A-Day I feel strongly that he is the man that will continue the 1,000 yard streak. I mean geez did y'all see him bowl over Broussard and then go onto break other tackles? I think he will get pass blocking right.

I’m hopeful! He has the ideal body size to be the all purpose guy we need. He looks stronger than kerryon. 

Got to become an north south runner though! I love the reverse field runs, but it’s not gonna work on a sec defense! Maybe a few with our “cupcakes “ game would be nice to see!

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Got to become an north south runner though! I love the reverse field runs, but it’s not gonna work on a sec defense! Maybe a few with our “cupcakes “ game would be nice to see!

Exactly

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This isn't meant to be a debbie downer but Whitlow has a was to go before he will be the featured back at AU. His pass blocking is a work in progress. 

Was told that he needs to realize he's no longer the best athlete on the field. He needs to work on reading blocks and hitting the hole.

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Was told that he needs to realize he's no longer the best athlete on the field. He needs to work on reading blocks and hitting the hole.

From another thread*

'“Sometimes I think he thinks he’s still back at LaFayette and he thinks he can just outrun everybody, and that’s not the case,” Horton said before speaking to the Jackson County Auburn Club in Scottsboro last month. “But he’s got a lot of talent.”...But, as Malzahn said after A-Day, “you can’t make a living” reversing field and running backwards in the SEC.'

[*Thanks Mr. Fifty]

I hear these stories and just because of my background I guess I wonder what if he played safety....how good could he be?

I think he could play several positions on either side. Similar to kerryon in ability. Maybe stronger but not the football player of that caliber yet. 

Archived