Heron hasnt hired an agent

15 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Until Purifoy gets back I wonder if we will play big with Chuma starting or small with Dunbar at the three

Probably matchup decisions based on opponents but Chuma is much more versatile in his game IMO. I would prefer he play. He was good as a bench player last year. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Probably matchup decisions based on opponents but Chuma is much more versatile in his game IMO. I would prefer he play. He was good as a bench player last year. 

Yeah good thing is that we have the personnel to start a productive lineup big or small. I like Chuma’s potential but not yet quite sold on his starter ability this season. Of course I’m still not sure where Dunbar can fit in other than a perimeter defender and average shooting. I also expect us to change lineups based on opponent until Danjel gets back though

To be honest, there is nothing that I saw from Dunbar that indicates he should ever start for us. He's a good player for his role which maxes out at 10-12 minutes a game of pure energy and bringing the enforcer edge to the team. That's not to say he can't elevate the heck out of his game from last year to this year but I'm just going based on what I saw last season.

How many games is Danjel out for? 10? That really sucks that we will have such a large hole in our roster at the SF spot going into Maui. I really wanted to see what Bruce's full strength squad was going to look like going up against those powers.

If we are playing an undersized opponent in the beginning of the season then I would probably consider starting Jared, Samir, Bryce, Anfernee, Austin. As long as those guards don’t get switched onto or posted up too much then I think that offensive output could counteract any loss in size

To start:

Harper, Brown, Chuma, Anfernee, Wiley to start the year maybe? Dunbar might get the nod as a senior, though.

Or Harper, Brown, Samir, Chuma, Austin? 

Eventually I think we will be Harper, Brown, Danjel, Chuma, Wiley.

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

I hope he's granted a waiver and am grateful for all he's done for Auburn. 

A waiver from Auburn won't get him out of the transfer rule that will make him have to sit out a year. Now, the NCAA could grant him a hardship waiver and let him play next year, but those things are getting increasingly hard to get. His mom's condition will have to be serious, not just a brief concussion and return to work after a week off type thing.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

A waiver from Auburn won't get him out of the transfer rule that will make him have to sit out a year. Now, the NCAA [/i] could[/i] grant him a hardship waiver and let him play next year, but those things are getting increasingly hard to get. His mom's condition will have to be serious, not just a brief concussion and return to work after a week off type thing.

The hardship waiver is what I was referring too, and according to his dad there have been:

"...30 doctors appointments and five emergency room visits in the last year."

Really sad to see Heron go, seems like a solid guy and is a tremendous player. I respect his decision to be closer to his mom, even though I don’t necessarily it is a great move from a basketball stand point family means everything. We have good depth with the others coming back we really need another body or two imo to survive potential injuries, suspensions, etc. 

Hate so much that he is leaving. I cannot imagine what AU would have been with him, but I think they will be OK without him. We will see. 

7 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Where is he from? What's closer to his family?

Connecticut. Either UConn or St. John's, I think.

9 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Connecticut. Either UConn or St. John's, I think.

Good programs generally and can't blame him if that ends up being what he does.  

UCONN coach was fired not that long ago and new guy has taken over....Dan Hurley which might make a difference ......or not?    Kevin Ollie won a championship but ended up getting fired for "cause" a couple years later.  Might have been a factor in how we got Heron in the first place. :dunno:   That seems like a pretty big deal to leave Connecticut to come all the way to AU, no matter who our coach is. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good programs generally and can't blame him if that ends up being what he does.  

UCONN coach was fired not that long ago and new guy has taken over....Dan Hurley which might make a difference ......or not?    Kevin Ollie won a championship but ended up getting fired for "cause" a couple years later.  Might have been a factor in how we got Heron in the first place. :dunno:   That seems like a pretty big deal to leave Connecticut to come all the way to AU, no matter who our coach is. 

IIRC, he did not like Ollie. 

The fact anybody besides Wiley thought they were NBA players is laughable to me

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

A waiver from Auburn won't get him out of the transfer rule that will make him have to sit out a year. Now, the NCAA could grant him a hardship waiver and let him play next year, but those things are getting increasingly hard to get. His mom's condition will have to be serious, not just a brief concussion and return to work after a week off type thing.

My thoughts as well. At this point it’s far from a sure thing he gets eligible right away if he transfers. I’d also say I’m not even sure if it’s a sure thing that he does transfer. As far as I can tell, he hasn’t done anything that commits him to leaving, nor has he personally released anything that I’m aware of. If he’s really looking to play in the NBA as soon as possible, and he becomes unconvinced that he’ll get a NCAA waiver, then staying put might make the most sense. I’m not saying I’d bet on it, but if you gave me 3 to 1 odds, I might.

urn Basketball

Mustapha Heron withdraws from NBA Draft, to transfer from Auburn

Updated May 29, 12:24 PM; Posted May 29, 12:15 PM

Auburn guard Mustapha Heron (5) attempts a free throw during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Columbia, S.C.(Sean Rayford/AP)

13 shares

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

Auburn's leading scorer will return to college basketball, but for another team.

Mustapha Heron withdrew his name from the NBA Draft on Tuesday, but will not return to the Plains for his junior season, instead looking to transfer closer to his native Connecticut and his ailing mother, a source with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

Bryan Heron, Mustapha's father, told Adam Zagoria that Mustapha's mother, Thalia Heron, has had 30 doctors visits and five emergency room visits after suffering a concussion during the last year and his son will apply for a hardship waiver for immediate eligibility.

"Being home, he wants to get closer to his mom," Bryan Heron said, according to Zagoria. "He knew he had to go back to school. The last month he's been here and he wants to be close to his mom, where she can see him play. ... He's going to apply for (the hardship wavier), but if he doesn't get it, it is what it is after that. But he definitely wants to be where he can see his mom on the regular."

Heron's decision to withdraw from the draft was not entirely unexpected, as he was not among the players invited to this month's NBA Draft Combine, and though he planned to sign with an agent, he never did so.

ADVERTISING

Heron averaged a team-high 16.4 points per game on 43.9 percent shooting, including 33.1 percent from 3-point range, and had 5.3 rebounds last season.

In his two-year Auburn career, Heron averaged 15.8 points and 5.7 rebounds per game while shooting 44 percent from the field, 37.2 percent from beyond the arc and 78.6 percent from the free-throw line.

Auburn's Jared Harper has not signed with agent and is expected to return to school and join Austin Wiley and Bryce Brown, who withdrew from the draft to return to Auburn earlier Tuesday.

The deadline for players to withdraw from the draft is June 11, though the NCAA deadline to withdraw and maintain college eligibility is May 30.

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group.

If the issue with his mom checks out I hope NCAA does not make him sit out.  Waivers have been granted in the past and this sounds legit.

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

The fact anybody besides Wiley thought they were NBA players is laughable to me

The NBA draft is a lot different than the other drafts.  These kids can "declare" for the draft so that they can go talk to NBA teams and learn what they need to work on to make it to the NBA.  I believe CBP encourages them all to take that opportunity so that they can see what they need to work on.  Give Pearl some credit here.  He encourages these kids to see what it takes to achieve their dream.  That funnels down to the upcoming recruits that Pearl wants you to make it to the NBA and will do what he can to help you achieve that.  Makes perfect sense.  Smart move by CBP!  

5 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

The NBA draft is a lot different than the other drafts.  These kids can "declare" for the draft so that they can go talk to NBA teams and learn what they need to work on to make it to the NBA.  I believe CBP encourages them all to take that opportunity so that they can see what they need to work on.  Give Pearl some credit here.  He encourages these kids to see what it takes to achieve their dream.  That funnels down to the upcoming recruits that Pearl wants you to make it to the NBA and will do what he can to help you achieve that.  Makes perfect sense.  Smart move by CBP!  

I know exactly how it works but you shouldn't do that until you'reat least on the cusp, and nothing can funnel down more than kids actually going to the NBA. 

Couple of things you do is put the kid right in harm's way buy sending them out to all the people that wants to take advantage of them. Another thing you could be doing is the good stuff you mentioned there is a small chance that happens....what probably happens is they get scouted and exposed. They also get agendas. If they need to work on shooting they can get more selfish.....they may not get burn in the position they need to be playing (which I have spoken on a few times) and now they may transfer.....more harm than good can come from this imo. Also they could just flat out lose their confidence. I played alot of AAU. Have family that just went through it and a close friend going through it right now. He's a D1 prospect right now. I've seen it happen plenty of times.

Seems odd to me.  Draft evaluations... so what if he was considered a late first round pick.  He would have stayed in.  Say he gets drafted by San Antonio, that means his mom doesn’t matter then if she sees him play.  

Why would you leave a school that you are a starter and get many opportunities the coaches allow you to attempt to go to another school and roll the dice on the NCAA granting a hardship waiver?

I’m compassionate for his moms sake and her issues but I don’t know if that’s the entire story here.  

Best of luck Heron.

15 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Seems odd to me.  Draft evaluations... so what if he was considered a late first round pick.  He would have stayed in.  Say he gets drafted by San Antonio, that means his mom doesn’t matter then if she sees him play.  

Why would you leave a school that you are a starter and get many opportunities the coaches allow you to attempt to go to another school and roll the dice on the NCAA granting a hardship waiver?

If he's a first round pick, then he can fly home on his own dime whenever he has time and can probably do a lot of other things to help out with the situation. Or maybe he's just had a change of heart. Or maybe there was a change in her circumstances. Maybe she got worse or didn't progress as expected. 

I’m compassionate for his moms sake and her issues but I don’t know if that’s the entire story here.  

What other story do you propose there might be? Honest question. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If he's a first round pick, then he can fly home on his own dime whenever he has time and can probably do a lot of other things to help out with the situation. Or maybe he's just had a change of heart. Or maybe there was a change in her circumstances. Maybe she got worse or didn't progress as expected. 

What other story do you propose there might be? Honest question. 

Read Cole256 commentary above.....nobody knows what happens or who makes contact with a player at an NBA "evaluation" including someone trying to recruit the player for  another school as a transfer...."hardship" or otherwise.  JMO but these kind of "evaluations" are an ideal place for some underhanded stuff to occur. 

Archived