Softball selection show

36 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

May be same regional for both baseball and softball.  Probably fitting since both squads had similar years as far as streaks 

I still think we host in baseball, with a single digit RPI.  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I'm also a little surprised we're in the regional with the 6 seed. However, practically every team from 7 to 16 is an SEC team..  Notice 12 seed alabama has a much easier regional than 6 seed FSU.  Then they are slated to go back to Seattle, where they will be especially motivated to avenge the two losses earlier this year.  IOW, the skids are greased for the tide. Have to say they weren't last year, tho.  Kennesaw State probably better than anyone in uat's regional, and the're the 3 team in Tallyho.  Of course, we managed to lose to Wisconsin.

We had a hard time with the Kennesaw pitcher back in an early April midweek game.  We won 2-1 with 6 hits and Carlson pitching a rare midweek game. 

Back like the pre-Myers days...just hoping to go somewhere and hope for a reasonable bracket. That bama loss cost us in a big way I think.

Odds are probably less than 50:50 to win that regional...

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

We had a hard time with the Kennesaw pitcher back in an early April midweek game.  We won 2-1 with 6 hits and Carlson pitching a rare midweek game. 

The pitcher's name is Alley Cutting.  Just checked the box score,she struck out 8 and only walked one.  Martin started the game for us, relieved by Carlson after 4.  One homer for each team, Rivera for us.  So they will be a challenging opponent. 

1 minute ago, OlderWhiskey said:

The pitcher's name is Alley Cutting.  Just checked the box score,she struck out 8 and only walked one.  Martin started the game for us, relieved by Carlson after 4.  One homer for each team, Rivera for us.  So they will be a challenging opponent. 

Yeah, I just went back and saw the stats as well.  It will be a tough regional because Jacksonville State is no slouch either. 

27 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

I think they also put a lot of emphasis of how you finish and we did not finish the season well, so I am sure that dropped us a bit, but like you surprised to drop to the #2 for the 6 seed

After the top 16 seeds seeding doesn't matter in terms of trying to put 16-17, 15-18, etc. We were likely the top 2 seed overall & as such we got to travel to the closest region not hosted by an SEC school.

I am rooting for Jerry and ULL to win the LSU regional. If we make it out of Tally, really don't want to go back there. 

Just now, ellitor said:

After the top 16 seeds seeding doesn't matter in terms of trying to put 16-17, 15-18, etc. We were likely the top 2 seed overall & as such we got to travel to the closest region not hosted by an SEC school.

Makes sense with so many SEC teams hosting 

16 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I still think we host in baseball, with a single digit RPI.  

We won't be a single digit RPI unless we win all 4 regular season games left & at least 1 in the SEC tourney. We are #12 now & projected to finish there.

And FTR even though none of us has talked about it yet, we got screwed out of that last region host spot when you compare AU & UK head-to-head. AU swept UK, finished 3 games higher in the SEC standings, & AU won 5 SEC series while UK only won 2 SEC series.

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

Going to felony state regional.  Yuck

WHAT IS THIS BASEBALL?!!? I think the ncaa got their sports mixed up lol.

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Glad we helped Missouri get in?

hahahah not gonna lie I got a good chuckle out of this! Those losses def kept us from hosting.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We won't be a single digit RPI unless we win all 4 regular season games left & at least 1 in the SEC tourney. We are #12 now & projected to finish there.

Coaches Poll has us 22....lose two to LSU and the guys will be in Tallyho also.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And FTR even though none of us has talked about it yet, we got screwed out of that last region host spot when you compare AU & UK head-to-head. AU swept UK, finished 3 games higher in the SEC standings, & AU won 5 SEC series while UK only won 2 SEC series.

True. They are still being punished though, with ND and Michigan there. Then travel to Oregon.  

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

hahahah not gonna lie I got a good chuckle out of this! Those losses def kept us from hosting.

We win 1 of those games, particularly the one Carlson gave up 2 homers in the 7th to lose it & Mizzou does not get in. They finished 1 game over 500. To qualify for the NCAA tourney you have to finish over 500.

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Coaches Poll has us 22....lose two to LSU and the guys will be in Tallyho also.

Lose 1 & we will be at FSU. And FTR Human polls don't mean jack in sports that has a NCAA selection committee. They rely much more on the RPI, especially since it was revamped this year, than what any SID (votes for most coaches) or any sports writers think.

12 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

True. They are still being punished though, with ND and Michigan there. Then travel to Oregon.  

Yeah. FSU is not a bad draw. They are not invincible. Too bad we have been pretty bad on the road though.

56 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Good points.  But it goes back to how we finished, strength of schedule and offensive stats. 

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Lose 1 & we will be at FSU. And FTR Human polls don't mean jack in sports that has a NCAA selection committee. They rely much more on the RPI, especially since it was revamped this year, than what any SID (votes for most coaches) or any sports writers think.

I hear it is a blend of both but who knows what the discussion is when the sausage is being made.? :dunno:

8 hours ago, around4ever said:

Good points.  But it goes back to how we finished, strength of schedule and offensive stats. 

Those things usually don't matter as much as fans think. I think they took UK because they had a higher RPI. Only 1 RPI top 16 team did not host a region.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I hear it is a blend of both but who knows what the discussion is when the sausage is being made.? :dunno:

It's not. Human polls are basically just fan water cooler talk.

Pretty much impossible to seed the teams so that everything is neat and clean and makes sense to us, the fans.  Recall that Minnesota was RPI 12 last year with a record like 51-3, and didn't host.  Went to Tuscaloosa, where they were narrowly eliminated.  Also recall that Kentucky swept LSU this year.  I do agree with Ellitor that we got hosed vis-a-vis Kentucky.  I thought Baylor or Long Beach would host before Kentucky.  Shows what I know.

13 hours ago, around4ever said:

The SEC is hosting 9 Regionals and could host 4 or more Super Regionals with wins.  Also, all 13 SEC teams made the tournament again. 

WOW!  That's pretty dang strong.

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

Back like the pre-Myers days...just hoping to go somewhere and hope for a reasonable bracket. That bama loss cost us in a big way I think.

Odds are probably less than 50:50 to win that regional...

It pains me to say it but I think our chances are very small. We received the spot we earned with our performance throughout SEC play. I've seen no evidence that this team is capable of making a post season run. I hope they prove me wrong. I believe the talent is on the roster but something is missing. In addition to the hitting woes this team just doesn't seem to have the chemistry and grit that we've seen the past several years. I just hope Dean and company can get it turned around for next year.

49 minutes ago, jimpecht said:

It pains me to say it but I think our chances are very small. We received the spot we earned with our performance throughout SEC play. I've seen no evidence that this team is capable of making a post season run. I hope they prove me wrong. I believe the talent is on the roster but something is missing. In addition to the hitting woes this team just doesn't seem to have the chemistry and grit that we've seen the past several years. I just hope Dean and company can get it turned around for next year.

Agreed, it is painful.  But when you look at it objectively and how we finished the season, our road troubles - we are  a long shot for much of a post season run.  Hope springs eternal and anything is possible.  I just hope they play their best.  When the team is on, they are a very good team.  Problem is too up and down from game to game.

Archived