Trump Backpedals on ZTE

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a bumbling, idiotic decision.  There is no way is six hells we should even consider for a second opening back to do business with ZTE.  And the same goes for Huawei.  

And this is not an anti-Trump thing.  I know in detail many of the reasons the restrictions on these companies are in place.  If my favorite candidate in the whole world were president right now, I'd be just as critical.  Trump needs to get his head out of his ass on this.

Rubio pushes back on Trump: ‘Crazy’ to allow ZTE to operate in US without tight restrictions

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) early Monday pushed back on President Trump’s willingness to help a Chinese telecommunications maker currently sanctioned by the U.S. government.

“Problem with ZTE isn’t jobs & trade, it’s national security & espionage,” the senator wrote on Twitter.

“Any telecomm firm in #China can be forced to act as tool of Chinese espionage without any court order or any other review process. We are crazy to allow them to operate in U.S. without tighter restrictions” 

Trump in a tweet on Sunday promised to help President Xi Jinping put Chinese telecommunications maker ZTE “back into business." 

“President Xi of China, and I, are working together to give massive Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast,” Trump said Sunday. “Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!” 

The president later tried to assuage concerns, writing on Twitter that "it will all work out" on the trade front......

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/387541-rubio-pushes-back-on-trump-crazy-to-allow-zte-to-operate-in-us-without-tightrade front.

23 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

This is a bumbling, idiotic decision.  There is no way is six hells we should even consider for a second opening back to do business with ZTE.  And the same goes for Huawei.  

And this is not an anti-Trump thing.  I know in detail many of the reasons the restrictions on these companies are in place.  If my favorite candidate in the whole world were president right now, I'd be just as critical.  Trump needs to get his head out of his ass on this.

I wish others would take note, instead of bashing Trump simply becuase of who he is.

good post

I note the ZTE has been selling in the world market for at least ten years.......and people just now getting concerned about them?  I tried to find something on previous actions by the previous administration but nothing.....and meanwhile all our European allies will be selling the same products to Iran....so not fully sure what the issue was anyway?    Siemens must have complained about the "unfair competition". .

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I note the ZTE has been selling in the world market for at least ten years.......and people just now getting concerned about them?  I tried to find something on previous actions by the previous administration but nothing.....and meanwhile all our European allies will be selling the same products to Iran....so not fully sure what the issue was anyway?    Siemens must have complained about the "unfair competition". .

No, they were not "just now" getting concerned about them.  And no, it's not just dirty pool being played by their competitors.  Our military and intelligence communities have been warning of these problems with ZTE and Huawei for several years now.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

No, they were not "just now" getting concerned about them.  And no, it's not just dirty pool being played by their competitors.  Our military and intelligence communities have been warning of these problems with ZTE and Huawei for several years now.

I understand.....have a friend who works in that area with DOD and State both... and trans-selling US stuff to forbidden end users has been is a big problem for decades, not just several years.  And I am talking about US companies and individuals who bought such things under false pretense......and re-shipped.  

Back in the day, my employer made textile machinery, some of which went to Vietnam in the early 1970s and later after the war was over, we had people trying to figure out how to get replacement parts from us...which we were forbidden to sell directly.    At least one US guy I know, set up a European subsidiary....and they bought parts from US machine manufacturers and then re-sold them to Vietnam at outrageous mark-ups.  He was clever enough to buy old used machines and cannibalize them for pumps, motors and control valves among other things.  

ZTE are bad guys....no doubt.....but not the only ones. and EU companies and governments are right now burning the midnight oil trying to figure out how to continue doing this kind of thing now that they might be subject to some kind of US embargo. 

JMO but anger toward ZTE or DT over this issue is pretty much wasted..  

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but anger toward ZTE or DT over this issue is pretty much wasted..  

I think anger at Trump for pushing to loosen the restrictions on ZTE isn't wasted at all.  It's monumentally stupid thing for him to attempt to do and even more stupid to be blabbing about it on Twitter as if any American gives a tinker's damn about Chinese jobs.  He'd do well to listen to people who have actual knowledge of such things before running his fat yap online.  He 100% deserved to get raked publicly over it.

Agree...talking about it was stupid....but doing it?  who knows what's going on between the US and China as part of some deal over the North Korea thing and what we might have to give to keep getting whatever help we might be getting.   At least for the moment, NK is not firing rockets over Japan and toward Guam. 

But ....the fact that he mentioned Chinese jobs might not be the whole story....and likely not even the reason......he is known to "negotiate" publicly....NAFTA, tariffs,  EU trade, etc. .....and his comments mostly just stir the pot and he seems to love jerking the media around..   JMO but pay attention to his tweets at your own risk. 

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree...talking about it was stupid....but doing it?  who knows what's going on between the US and China as part of some deal over the North Korea thing and what we might have to give to keep getting whatever help we might be getting.   At least for the moment, NK is not firing rockets over Japan and toward Guam. 

But ....the fact that he mentioned Chinese jobs might not be the whole story....and likely not even the reason......he is known to "negotiate" publicly....NAFTA, tariffs,  EU trade, etc. .....and his comments mostly just stir the pot and he seems to love jerking the media around..   JMO but pay attention to his tweets at your own risk. 

Hell of a thing to say about the POTUS.  :no:

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Hell of a thing to say about the POTUS.  :no:

Seriously.  "Pay attention to the actual words he himself says at your own risk."  

About the President.  :blink:

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Seriously.  "Pay attention to the actual words he himself says at your own risk."  

About the President.  :blink:

Tweets....sure....and with previous president you paid attention to his promises at our own risk too.  

What world do y'all live in that you trust whatever came out of the mouths of Obama, Hillary or Donald not to be subject to change before you can even grasp the implications.  Politicians lie and exaggerate for their convenience........and you don't know that?   :dunno:

So when a president says things that are not only ignorant, but even dangerously ignorant we should just not worry about it and not call it out because they're probably lying? 

51 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

So when a president says things that are not only ignorant, but even dangerously ignorant we should just not worry about it and not call it out because they're probably lying? 

He took lying to a new level of acceptance. 

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Tweets....sure....and with previous president you paid attention to his promises at our own risk too.  

What world do y'all live in that you trust whatever came out of the mouths of Obama, Hillary or Donald not to be subject to change before you can even grasp the implications.  Politicians lie and exaggerate for their convenience........and you don't know that?   :dunno:

Not like Trump. 

He's establishing a whole different class - Bullshitters.

Simple "lying" is so passe'.   :-\

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Not like Trump. 

He's establishing a whole different class - the Bullshitters.

Simple lying is now passe'.  

It's been passe' since Bill?

26 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Not like Trump. 

He's establishing a whole different class - Bullshitters.

Simple "lying" is so passe'.   :-\

DT is a BSer...not much doubt about that....most pols outright lie about their plans or proposed actions and that's been going on a long while.  Folks complaining about DT's stuff are either 15 years old or have no memory about the disguised BS that was put forth by Obama and some before him.  So before you have a coronary over his tweets, just wait and see what actually happens.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Tweets....take you do not lose much sleep or worry over his non filtered communications 64. Agree 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

DT is a BSer...not much doubt about that....most pols outright lie about their plans or proposed actions and that's been going on a long while.  Folks complaining about DT's stuff are either 15 years old or have no memory about the disguised BS that was put forth by Obama and some before him.  So before you have a coronary over his tweets, just wait and see what actually happens.

That is BS.

Most polls may lie when campaigning, but no politician has lived on blatant, easily disproved lies like DT.  He's a reality show host, not a president.

I'm not saying he's stupid - it's obviously working for him - at least for the time being. 

I am saying that anyone who excuses him by portraying him as "business as usual" is either willfully ignorant or stupid - which pretty much amounts to the same thing.

5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Tweets....take you do not lose much sleep or worry over his non filtered communications 64. Agree 

That's a hellava thing to say about the president of the United States.

What has happened to common sense in this country?

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's a hellava thing to say about the president of the United States.

What has happened to common sense in this country?

why?

13 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

why?

Because I would hope that any POTUS could express himself on a routine basis without a need of "being filtered", of course.

Why do you ask?

Archived