Gus sending ‘em to the League!!

toddc

https://sec.news/2rK6F69

Gus’ record of sending players to the NFL seems to be on the right track! I didn’t put whole article on here because it’s kind of long. I think we are heading in the right direction and it’s going to get even better!

yes, very good article and impressive trend.

Good on Gus, I hope this is really getting pushed on the recruiting trail. 

We know our biggest rivals have a lot to crow about in this area and they're pumping out the "NFL pipeline" showing the # of 1st rounders like crazy to the high school studs.

I know it’s a positive trend for Auburn, but if you put it side by side with uat it might not look so impressive. Still think it’s gotta be great for recruiting that we can show the trend line is moving upward!

19 minutes ago, toddc said:

I know it’s a positive trend for Auburn, but if you put it side by side with uat it might not look so impressive. Still think it’s gotta be great for recruiting that we can show the trend line is moving upward!

I speak ~enough NFL to realize that the dust hasn't yet settled on this year's class.

Prior (as of 21 Dec. '17) we suffer in comparison to some other SEC teams. In term of both draftees and Free Agents that (up to that time had) had stuck:

"8. (tie) Auburn...

Players on NFL rosters: 31

Auburn may struggle at times to keep pace with the rest of the SEC, but that doesn’t stop the influx of talented, young players to the program. Recruits know that attending Auburn means playing in the national spotlight, competing against the nation’s top talent, and having a legit chance to move on to the next level. 31 former Tigers, including the 2015 MVP, currently suit up in the National Football League. We don’t imagine this changing anytime soon."...

11 Colleges With the Most Players in the NFL Right Now

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/colleges-with-the-most-players-in-the-nfl-right-now.html/?a=viewall

Ah the old double edged sword. We're starting to crank them out, which means we can use that as leverage to bring them in, but it also means more and more will only play 2-3 years and potentially only one break-out year.

Some players shouldn't even count.....I mean it's sort of embarrassing if you hardly played a guy who had NFL talent isn't it? It's sort of you're not doing a good job of identifying your most talented players for whatever reason.

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Some players shouldn't even count.....I mean it's sort of embarrassing if you hardly played a guy who had NFL talent isn't it? It's sort of you're not doing a good job of identifying your most talented players for whatever reason.

Several of these come mind. I would argue they were mostly a Chizik casualty

14 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Several of these come mind. I would argue they were mostly a Chizik casualty

Pat Dye had a few that hardly saw the field at AU but stuck in the NFL for several years. In some cases the problem isn't a coaching failure, it's that the MONEY turns out to be a better motivator.

None other than the great Charles Barkley agreed. He said money was the only thing that motivated him to work on his body.

Some dudes just don't fit a system. It's a credit to the guy that he did what was necessary to impress a team and carve out a niche in the NFL. I bet guys like Brandon King would scoff at the idea that he shouldn't count toward Auburn's total. From what I've heard, he enjoyed his time at Auburn, and he comes back from time to time. 

If I see more AU guys playing Sunday ball, then that is only good to me. I'm just not going to find any bad in that.

Now, when a roster full of NFL talent performs as though it's full of something else, that's a different conversation. 

14 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Ah the old double edged sword. We're starting to crank them out, which means we can use that as leverage to bring them in, but it also means more and more will only play 2-3 years and potentially only one break-out year.

Good post.  Putting them in the pro's is a huge selling point in recruiting, it also means you better have a top shelf development program in place to replace studs with studs and still consistently compete at a high level.

I think AU's getting there, slowly but surely we're getting there.

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

I think AU's getting there, slowly but surely we're getting there.

Really hoping that losing Lawson and Adams and getting *better* ends up representing a sort of turning point in the collective psyche of the program. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Really hoping that losing Lawson and Adams and getting *better* ends up representing a sort of turning point in the collective psyche of the program. 

The D is definitely on track. The O, on the other hand is not even close to there. We have to get our identity established so that we can just reload. Right now I don't know if recruits know what to think we are. We give our backs lots of yards but haven't had a national standout since Tre. We've recruited several star receivers and none of them have broken 1000 yards. We have a top QB who hasn't actually played, consistently, like a top QB. We have more than our share of blowouts, but crap the bed at least twice a year. And, unfortunately, we have far beyond our share of injuries to key players.

Until we get everyone on the same page and start getting Heisman chatter for multiple positions (just chatter, I don't think we need trips to New York to make it happen), I don't feel like we're going to be able to consistently draw the best players on O.

We've got the pieces to put it together, this year, but everyone has to do their job, and a few guys might have to play above expectations.

Archived