Sign in to follow this  
SaltyTiger

Baseball @ Troy

Recommended Posts

A productive out moves the runner to second for Troy, steal of 3rd.  One out, runner on third.  Really don't need to let the deficit get past 2 here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Homerun.  9-5 Troy.  This one's over.  Auburn lets a 4-1 lead through 5 get away.  Auburn will drop its fourth straight and will host LSU this weekend to close out SEC play.

Edited by SCTiger2011

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I did my math correctly, Auburn finished the midweek games 11-3.  Not terrible despite the perceived costliness of this one.  All three losses were on the road.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack Owen was good in 4.1 IP tonight.  Teetered on the edge a couple innings, but got himself out of his own jams.  Could be an important arm for Auburn as we enter tournament season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

using WarrenNolan's "impact games", Auburn loses 19 RPI points tonight, to stay in 12th currently.  It appears what it does is lower the highest Auburn can finish regular season RPI from 8th to 10th, which yea on the hosting bubble isn't a good thing.  I've about let the hosting thing go.  Right now, I'd just be happy if this team found it's head again before regional play.

What bothers me so much is that the opportunity to host was shining incredibly bright when this team got on the bus to go to Oxford, but since they got there, they’ve looked so unclutch and their losses have gone back to falling flat on their face at the most important time of the season thus far. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve actually played two very good baseball teams in Ole Miss and Troy in their home stadiums, but the guys barely look like they’re competing in clutch situations at the plate and on defense. I just hope this “clutch” factor can improve by the time regionals roll around. 

 

Good news about the RPI though, I figured we would drop a few spots after tonight but that wasn’t the case. Troy is 36-17 and 17-10 in their conference, so they’re a good baseball team. Just really frustrating to keep letting these leafs get away from us due to unclutch pitching. 

Edited by tigerbrotha12
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

What bothers me so much is that the opportunity to host was shining incredibly bright when this team got on the bus to go to Oxford, but since they got there, they’ve looked so unclutch and their losses have gone back to falling flat on their face at the most important time of the season thus far. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve actually played two very good baseball teams in Ole Miss and Troy in their home stadiums, but the guys barely look like they’re competing in clutch situations at the plate and on defense. I just hope this “clutch” factor can improve by the time regionals roll around. 

Second year in a row hosting has been there for the taking and the squad couldn't take advantage (barring an LSU sweep and a miracle SEC tournament run to at least Friday/Saturday).  I'm not going to call it a "choke," especially with the strength and perception of where AU would finish in the division, but it looks like the growing pains every building program has to go through--learning to win when it counts.  They've had tastes of that success this year, just not experienced enough to pull up a bar seat and stay awhile yet.  It was almost a miracle run in Tallahassee last year; maybe at least the return trip (do NOT stick us in Corvallis, committee) finishes some business.

Edited by SCTiger2011
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"We're just not playing very inspired baseball currently at a huge time of the season," Auburn head coach Butch Thompson said. "Not a lot of coach speak or a lot of happiness or a lot of good things to say to make something up and make it fluffy for this one. We'll just have to regroup."

"Our bullpen is just not making pitches," Thompson said. "This is a four-run stretch on the road here where our bullpen, and kind of the same guys, just not showing up and giving us a chance in the ballgame.

"We got some hits, but we're just not getting them when it matters, when the bases are loaded. We needed baserunners late, and we're jumping out of the way. Nobody was interested in standing in the gap, putting their chin down on it and making a pitch, getting a hit or just reaching base when it matters most to get back in a ballgame."

Gotta hand it to Butch, he doesn't shy away from letting the team know when they're not playing up to their ability.

Edited by SCTiger2011
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eleven Ks tonight.....not making contact...4 straight games in double digits with strikeouts.

LSU at home is an opportunity but CBT called it in his comments. 

No matter what the predictions 5 months ago, the team showed a good part of the season that it is capable of much more than it is giving now. Just because expectations by others were low is no justification for the current level of play.

As for post season,  I know that computer generated RPI  is considered infallable by some.....but AU is failing the "eye test".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Second year in a row hosting has been there for the taking and the squad couldn't take advantage (barring an LSU sweep and a miracle SEC tournament run to at least Friday/Saturday).  I'm not going to call it a "choke," especially with the strength and perception of where AU would finish in the division, but it looks like the growing pains every building program has to go through--learning to win when it counts.  They've had tastes of that success this year, just not experienced enough to pull up a bar seat and stay awhile yet.  It was almost a miracle run in Tallahassee last year; maybe at least the return trip (do NOT stick us in Corvallis, committee) finishes some business.

Great post. Hits the nail on the head. Obvious improvement in the program over the past two years, but still don’t have that IT-Factor that allows us to win the big moment. Maybe that will come in the next few weekends......? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Eleven Ks tonight.....not making contact...4 straight games in double digits with strikeouts.

LSU at home is an opportunity but CBT called it in his comments. 

No matter what the predictions 5 months ago, the team showed a good part of the season that it is capable of much more than it is giving now. Just because expectations by others were low is no justification for the current level of play.

As for post season,  I know that computer generated RPI  is considered infallable by some.....but AU is failing the "eye test".

48 Ks in the last 4 games. 53 in the 7 games before that. Our BABIP in our last four games is .444. When we put the ball in play, we're doing good things. If we were to put half of those 48 strikeouts into play, our BABIP is still .343, assuming none of those 24 Ks-turned-contact went for hits. In the last 4 SEC series where we got the offense going, our BABIP was .348, which is a good number. By comparison, our BABIP in OOC games this year is .354. Gotta put the ball in play.

Not too worried about the loss from a hosting/RPI standpoint. It didn't hurt our RPI at all and SEC wins will have much more of a factor on our hosting chances than one midweek game at Troy. The RPI is where it needs to be. The SEC record has to get where it needs to be. Probably 4 more SEC wins total would get us a host spot.

But there is something to be said about playing well and being in a good mental state going into this last series and postseason play, neither of which is the case right now. The bullpen has been really hit-or-miss lately. The offense seems to be trending back down. And the starting pitching had a fairly unusual group of outings last week. Seems like a lot of areas to need improvement going into such a crucial SEC series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, boomstick said:

48 Ks in the last 4 games. 53 in the 7 games before that. Our BABIP in our last four games is .444. When we put the ball in play, we're doing good things. If we were to put half of those 48 strikeouts into play, our BABIP is still .343, assuming none of those 24 Ks-turned-contact went for hits. In the last 4 SEC series where we got the offense going, our BABIP was .348, which is a good number. By comparison, our BABIP in OOC games this year is .354. Gotta put the ball in play.

Not too worried about the loss from a hosting/RPI standpoint. It didn't hurt our RPI at all and SEC wins will have much more of a factor on our hosting chances than one midweek game at Troy. The RPI is where it needs to be. The SEC record has to get where it needs to be. Probably 4 more SEC wins total would get us a host spot.

But there is something to be said about playing well and being in a good mental state going into this last series and postseason play, neither of which is the case right now. The bullpen has been really hit-or-miss lately. The offense seems to be trending back down. And the starting pitching had a fairly unusual group of outings last week. Seems like a lot of areas to need improvement going into such a crucial SEC series. 

Good commentary.

Problem with all the Ks is that nobody advances on the at bat.....we rarely steal and don't SB so when we get a runner or two on base, they are getting stranded. No matter what the BA looks like, you must have the ability to move the runners along, even if there is an out involved in they play.  We leave guys on 3rd when about any contact other than an infield popup would score him.  And should I mention that our "best" hitters are really struggling. 

And the "probably 4 more SEC wins" ...is a pretty big stretch and is likely to be combined with two or three more SEC losses....unless CBT finds some way to inspire these guys. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everybody knows by now that AU batters struggle with off-speed pitches so Auburn will see those predominately for the remainder of the season/post season. Somehow that has to be solved. Josh Anthony has worked hard on his issues at the plate, and he's doing much better overall. He seems to be seeing the ball much better now. The big guys need to forget about hitting a fast ball out of the park at every bat, and just settle in, get clutch hits and score runs. Auburn batters need to figure out how to hit what they're given right now because it won't change until they can get better at the plate. AU batters are not really challenging pitchers and taking advantage of mistakes consistently. They have some bad habits at the plate that they seem to cling to........

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Everybody knows by now that AU batters struggle with off-speed pitches so Auburn will see those predominately for the remainder of the season/post season. Somehow that has to be solved. Josh Anthony has worked hard on his issues at the plate, and he's doing much better overall. He seems to be seeing the ball much better now. The big guys need to forget about hitting a fast ball out of the park at every bat, and just settle in, get clutch hits and score runs. Auburn batters need to figure out how to hit what they're given right now because it won't change until they can get better at the plate. AU batters are not really challenging pitchers and taking advantage of mistakes consistently. They have some bad habits at the plate that they seem to cling to........

100% on target....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Members Online

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.