Coynis Miller inspired by father's advice

aubiefifty

Auburn signee Coynis Miller inspired by father's advice

Updated May 15, 8:12 AM; Posted May 15, 8:12 AM

Auburn signee Coynis Miller poses with his dad, who grew up an Alabama fan. (Photo from Coynis Miller's Twitter)

9 shares

By Josh Bean

jbean@al.com

Auburn defensive lineman signee Coynis Miller smiled when thinking about one of the final visits to Auburn with his father, Coynis Sr.

"I finally got him to wear an Auburn hat and an Auburn jersey," he said.

It's powerful memory, especially considering Coynis Sr. grew up an Alabama fan and took some time to warm up to his youngest child choosing to play for the Tigers.

Coynis Miller Sr. passed away last month from a heart attack, an emotional blow for Coynis Jr. as he prepares to graduate from Birmingham's Jackson-Olin High School later this month and report to Auburn a few days later.

"He was my rock," Coynis Jr. said.

Jackson-Olin product ready to be pass rusher

It'll be up to T.D. Moultry and Markaviest Bryant to replace Jeff Holland's 10 sacks from last season

The 6-foot-2, 295-pounder finished 2017 with 21 tackles and four sacks, while also moonlighting as a wildcat quarterback in short-yardage situations. Then, he played in the Under Armour All-American Game and finished with six tackles.

He said he still hopes to join the defensive line rotation immediately, even as Marlon Davidson and Nick Coe excelling spring practice.

Miller said he's been working hard after receiving a workout plan from Auburn. He remains at 295 pounds, the weight he played at during the 2017 season at Jackson-Olin.

Gus Malzahn talks schedule

With the league's schedule set through 2025, the earliest likely year the SEC would be able to do reverse the rotation of the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry would be 2027.

Miller said he's been running as early at 6 a.m., a move aimed at preparing him for the summer workouts when he reports to Auburn at the end of the month.

"It's been going good," he said. "I've been doing a lot of running to get ready, and I'm just working out every day."

Since his father's unexpected passing, Miller said he's had a renewed focus to "make him proud."

"I know how much he taught me," Miller said, "and I think about that every day."

Great, Great article. I've been anxiously awaiting his arrival. Dude is a flat out monster. I for sure think he can get some PT especially seeing how he's been preparing.

Archived