Kam Martin would start today

Win4AU

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish this quote were from December 2, 2017.

I know, I know....

With that said, I'm glad to hear KM is making headway.  Personally, I'm excited to see what he can do.

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I wish this quote were from December 2, 2017.

I know, I know....

With that said, I'm glad to hear KM is making headway.  Personally, I'm excited to see what he can do.

I think he has great upside for running the ball, but pass protection will be a big question mark. Seems like every time he was in for pass protection last year, people ran through him like he wasn't there.

11 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I think he has great upside for running the ball, but pass protection will be a big question mark. Seems like every time he was in for pass protection last year, people ran through him like he wasn't there.

Seems to be the consensus as to why he was not played more.

Makes me wonder what kind of coaching they're getting in that respect.  Apparently, of all the RB's only KJ could pass block once KP was out...  Not being snarky either.  Quite serious.

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Makes me wonder what kind of coaching they're getting in that respect.  Apparently, of all the RB's only KJ could pass block once KP was out...  Not being snarky either.  Quite serious.

Or what we're doing to game plan around that. I know that a pass blocking RB is a huge asset, but I refuse to believe that an offense just can't function when we don't have one available. 

Of course, having a quality OL coach might do a lot to make that a less calamitous scenario. 

17 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Which is funny, because you don't need to be a good blocker to run the ball 15 times a game

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Or what we're doing to game plan around that. I know that a pass blocking RB is a huge asset, but I refuse to believe that an offense just can't function when we don't have one available. 

Of course, having a quality OL coach might do a lot to make that a less calamitous scenario. 

Perhaps this is one of Gus' hang-ups?

You wouldn't THINK one has to have a pass blocking Back but then I'm not sure how many of us think like Gus.....

If Kam is in on a passing down, send him out and create a mismatch on a LB... but then again, we don't throw to our backs except DB.

Of course we need the backs to block in order to give our receivers time to get 40 yards down the field...

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Perhaps this is one of Gus' hang-ups?

You wouldn't THINK one HAS to have a pass blocking Back but then I'm not sure how many of us think like Gus.....

I still can't get the image out of my head of when somebody asked about the WRs last season after our passing game had started clicking and Gus suddenly got really intense and almost defensive and said something to the effect of "Well they're BLOCKING better". I'm sure his resident samurai squad would be quick to laugh that off, and I fully admit to confirmation bias, but I found it rather striking. 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Of course we need the backs to block in order to give our receivers time to get 40 yards down the field...

Brother you are on a roll... 

Image result for go go go gif

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I still can't get the image out of my head of when somebody asked about the WRs last season after our passing game had started clicking and Gus suddenly got really intense and almost defensive and said something to the effect of "Well they're BLOCKING better". I'm sure his resident samurai squad would be quick to laugh that off, and I fully admit to confirmation bias, but I found it rather striking. 

I can see it now...

Q: So, coach, how's your assessment of Stidham's progress this summer?

A: Well, if we could get him to block he'd be pretty good.

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I can see it now...

Q: So, coach, how's your assessment of Stidham's progress this summer?

A: Well, if we could get him to block he'd be pretty good.

Nate Craig-Myers, at one point the #1 WR in the nation:

“The big thing is our coach wants us to block,” Craig-Myers said. “If you block, you know you’re going to get the ball. I feel like I made that step in blocking.”

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

My thoughts were more along the lines of our staff didn't do enough to prepare them to be better at pass blocking. They needed more in-game reps. I think it's often unfair to judge our RBs b/c we often don't know what they can and can't do until they're forced into playing more. 

I really like Kam and thought he should've seen more reps at times. I would love to have a 1-2 punch at RB this season. I just don't see Kam being able to carry the full load like KJ did. However, i love the idea of Kam being in open space (RB short passes). 

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I really like Kam and thought he should've seen more reps at times. I would love to have a 1-2 punch at RB this season. I just don't see Kam being able to carry the full load like KJ did. However, i love the idea of Kam being in open space (RB short passes). 

I used to get all defensive when people said this about the smaller backs, but the thing is, we've seen that larger backs usually can't handle a full load in this offense, either.

Kam will run between the tackles successfully. And hopefully Boobie, Asa, Malik and Shaun will, too. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I used to get all defensive when people said this about the smaller backs, but the thing is, we've seen that larger backs usually can't handle a full load in this offense, either.

Kam will run between the tackles successfully. And hopefully Boobie, Asa, Malik and Shaun will, too. 

Agree. His size isn't a big concern for me. It is about our history of RBs getting run into the ground by the end of the season and being he is smaller...it doesn't help. Getting the young RBs involved early in the season when we can, will be very essential this season. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree. His size isn't a big concern for me. It is about our history of RBs getting run into the ground by the end of the season and being he is smaller...it doesn't help. Getting the young RBs involved early in the season when we can, will be very essential this season. 

Yes & Yes.

History has plenty of smaller backs playing big...even in the NFL.  I remember watching Warrick Dunn in person at the Ga Dome and nobody ever accused him of being The Hulk.

Even if you have a "Bo", you should still always have somebody else to spell the starter for every game.  Heck, Bo wasn't even the most durable.. remembering UT, UF games and 1/2 the '84 season.  

I just think that's Offense 101.  Have backups ready to go and part of being ready is using them in game situations.

Kam can play.  In fact, I'm betting we AU fans are going to be real proud of him come December.  ....or mad at Gus for ruining him.

Remember when we lost to Georgia freakin Tech because either Tubs or Borges refused to put Kenny Irons in the game because "he couldn't block" but then he turned into a ~1300 yard beast once they started playing him?

I readily admit to ignorance here so forgive that, but it seems so much of our oddball blocking schemes leave a lot of opposing jerseys camping out in our backfield. When you couple that with Gus' love of screen-hail mary or bust, it's hard to see a small back carrying the bulk of the load...which would have to involve a LOT of blocking. 

Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
2000 Auburn SEC JR RB 12 324 1567 4.8 13 9 70 7.8 0 333 1637 4.9 13

Rudi Johnson

*2003 Auburn SEC JR RB 13 241 1307 5.4 17 5 20 4.0 0 246 1327 5.4 17
*2004 Auburn SEC SR RB 13 239 1165 4.9 12 21 152 7.2 1 260 1317 5.1 13

Cadillac

*2013 Auburn SEC JR RB 14 317 1816 5.7 23 12 163 13.6 1 329 1979 6.0 24

Trey Mason

1978 Auburn SEC   RB 11 253 1205 4.8 16 8 30 3.8 0 261 1235 4.7 16
1979 Auburn SEC   RB 11 200 1120 5.6 14 10 128 12.8 1 210 1248 5.9 15

Joe Cribbs

1980 Auburn SEC   RB 11 261 1314 5.0 9 10 63 6.3 1 271 1377 5.1 10

James Brooks

*2011 Auburn SEC SO RB 12 242 1242 5.1 10 2 7 3.5 0 244 1249 5.1 10

Michael Dyer

*2010 Auburn SEC JR QB 14 264 1473 5.6 20 2 42 21.0 1 266 1515 5.7 21

Superman

1972 Auburn SEC   RB 10 216 843 3.9 10 2 33 16.5 1 218 876 4.0 11

Terry Henley

*2009 Auburn SEC SR RB 13 263 1362 5.2 10 20 105 5.3 0 283 1467 5.2 10

Ben Tate

*2017 Auburn SEC JR RB 12 285 1391 4.9 18 24 194 8.1 2 309 1585 5.1 20

Kerryon Johnson

Gimme a break.  Grow a sack, run the ball, and quit cry'in. :cry3:

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Well you know I've had a history of this. I never understood everybody getting excited when we recruit and get the guy then automatically everybody wants the guy that's 220 to run the ball and the other guys can't carry the load or aren't good pass blockers.....I'm pretty sure somebody argued with me that KJ wasn't a good pass blocker when I was harping on him playing more when he was a freshman.....it's like a go to attribute to say

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

Well you know I've had a history of this. I never understood everybody getting excited when we recruit and get the guy then automatically everybody wants the guy that's 220 to run the ball and the other guys can't carry the load or aren't good pass blockers.....I'm pretty sure somebody argued with me that KJ wasn't a good pass blocker when I was harping on him playing more when he was a freshman.....it's like a go to attribute to say

I thought about you when I saw a stat yesterday. KJ only dropped 1 catchable ball while at Auburn. Not really relevant to blocking or size, just thought I'd mention it. 

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

I agree that there is a bias towards bigger backs. I am admittedly biased toward bigger backs. However, reasonable minds agree (including Horton) that Kam struggled with pass-blocking last season. So, in this instance it's a fair criticism that doesn't stem from any bias against his size. I'll also say that I'm anxious to see Kam run the ball more in 2018, and I'm not worried about his size right now. 

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

If Kam is in on a passing down, send him out and create a mismatch on a LB... but then again, we don't throw to our backs except DB.

What about when we are playing a team like Clemson 2017 that is man-handling our offensive line, or sending multiple blitzes? IF Kam is still struggling with pass pro this season - and I do think it's still a big IF - it seems to me like that could become a problem, or at least limit what we are able to do. 

Archived