Win4AU

Kam Martin would start today

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

What about when we are playing a team like Clemson 2017 that is man-handling our offensive line, or sending multiple blitzes? IF Kam is still struggling with pass pro this season - and I do think it's still a big IF - it seems to me like that could become a problem, or at least limit what we are able to do. 

There was a time when Gus would be creative enough, or allow his QB to be able to exploit that.  Having a pass catching TE comes to mind (hello Lutz) or rather than blocking, it's a perfect opportunity for Kam to run a quick flat pattern or wheel route.

Soon, the D isn't so aggressive...

  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

 

What about when we are playing a team like Clemson 2017 that is man-handling our offensive line, or sending multiple blitzes? IF Kam is still struggling with pass pro this season - and I do think it's still a big IF - it seems to me like that could become a problem, or at least limit what we are able to do. 

To be fair, none of our backs helped with passpro that night. If your line is being manhandled, then you don't run play action and you don't throw long developing routes.  Good OC's adjust and utilize a quick passing game that attacks the zones that are vacated by their blitz. In doing so, you create mismatches, discourage future blitzes, and open the entire field to being defended.  Our stubbornness and lack of creativity lost that game. It wasn't the lack of execution.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AUsince72 said:

There was a time when Gus would be creative enough, or allow his QB to be able to exploit that.  Having a pass catching TE comes to mind (hello Lutz) or rather than blocking, it's a perfect opportunity for Kam to run a quick flat pattern or wheel route.

Soon, the D isn't so aggressive...

I agree that there are ways to game plan around a back who struggles in pass pro, like a TE (as you've pointed out) or using the RB in the passing game (as Bird pointed out). You can always bring in an HB to help pick up blitzes. I just think there are times where you are going to need a back that you can count on to block when called upon, and where you can't rely upon play calling. Sometimes you are just getting whipped up front. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

To be fair, none of our backs helped with passpro that night. If your line is being manhandled, then you don't run play action and you don't throw long developing routes.  Good OC's adjust and utilize a quick passing game that attacks the zones that are vacated by their blitz. In doing so, you create mismatches, discourage future blitzes, and open the entire field to being defended.  Our stubbornness and lack of creativity lost that game. It wasn't the lack of execution.

That's a good point (and I agree completely about why we lost to Clemson) - but you understand where I'm coming from, right? Sure, there are ways to plan around a back who struggles in pass pro, but are any of those preferable to a back who is reliable in that area? 

All that being said, it's still yet to be seen whether Kam will or will not be reliable in pass protection this season. In the past, his lack thereof hasn't been for a lack of effort - and that's enormously positive in my eyes.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I agree that there are ways to game plan around a back who struggles in pass pro, like a TE (as you've pointed out) or using the RB in the passing game (as Bird pointed out). You can always bring in an HB to help pick up blitzes. I just think there are times where you are going to need a back that you can count on to block when called upon, and where you can't rely upon play calling. Sometimes you are just getting whipped up front. 

Totally agree.  Having a good blocking back is wonderful.  Just, in the context of KM specifically, I hope it doesn't keep him from having many carries this year as I feel he can be VERY good, given the chance.

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AUsince72 said:

Totally agree.  Having a good blocking back is wonderful.  Just, in the context of KM specifically I hope it doesn't keep him from having many carries this year as I feel he can be VERY good, given the chance.

Agreed!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

What about when we are playing a team like Clemson 2017 that is man-handling our offensive line, or sending multiple blitzes? IF Kam is still struggling with pass pro this season - and I do think it's still a big IF - it seems to me like that could become a problem, or at least limit what we are able to do. 

 That's *exactly* when you use short, quick passes to neutralize the rush, and *exactly* why Gus looked like he coached that game as if he'd never watched American football before, much less called plays. 

Some of his decisions the last few years have made so little sense that it just... doesn't make any sense. Absolutely bizarre behavior. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, McLoofus said:

 That's *exactly* when you use short, quick passes to neutralize the rush, and *exactly* why Gus looked like he coached that game as if he'd never watched American football before, much less called plays. 

Some of his decisions the last few years have made so little sense that it just... doesn't make any sense. Absolutely bizarre behavior. 

There's no question that there are ways to plan around blitzes. But, these are the things coaches do regardless of whether their back can pass block or not. I don't care if Kam Martin is the best pass-blocker in the world, play calling is an essential element to slowing the pass rush. I'm not disagreeing with any of you on that point. 

However, there are times in every game where you need to be able to open up the field, either because of time, score, momentum or opportunity. If the defense is giving me a look that opens up a big play down the field, but it requires my running back to stand in and pick up the blitz I want that opportunity. I don't want to have to check out of it for a five yard gain, or worse take a sack. Slants are great. Tight ends are great. Running backs running to the flats are great. But, when you are in a big game, and you have an opportunity to take a shot - and that requires your RB to stand in and make a block - running a slant is a crap option. That's the point I'm making. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

There's no question that there are ways to plan around blitzes. But, these are the things coaches do regardless of whether their back can pass block or not. I don't care if Kam Martin is the best pass-blocker in the world, play calling is an essential element to slowing the pass rush. I'm not disagreeing with any of you on that point. 

However, there are times in every game where you need to be able to open up the field, either because of time, score, momentum or opportunity. If the defense is giving me a look that opens up a big play down the field, but it requires my running back to stand in and pick up the blitz I want that opportunity. I don't want to have to check out of it for a five yard gain, or worse take a sack. Slants are great. Tight ends are great. Running backs running to the flats are great. But, when you are in a big game, and you have an opportunity to take a shot - and that requires your RB to stand in and make a block - running a slant is a crap option. That's the point I'm making. 

Gotcha. Fortunately we do have other guys for that. And in obvious passing situations, it doesn't matter so much if the defense knows that we've got our pass pro specialist in the backfield. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless there is some personality issues, the best player should be on the field. PERIOD. If Kam Martin is overall the best back come opening day, then he should start as the RB. If there arise a circumstance where he needs to be subbed out then do so. Coaches do this at all levels of sports . It’s crunch time, the score is close and the other team is fouling to stop the clock, then yes you should take out Shaq. However, you don’t minimize Shaq’s PT based on free throws, if he is the best dang center you got. I just don’t understand this type of thinking but whatever.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gotcha. Fortunately we do have other guys for that. And in obvious passing situations, it doesn't matter so much if the defense knows that we've got our pass pro specialist in the backfield. 

I'm not talking about obvious passing situations/third downs. I'm talking about opportunities that periodically arise on early downs for big plays down the field. These aren't situations that are a part of an overall game plan or strategy to deal with or neutralize a pass rush. These are the times where the defense is giving us a look that we like, and we want to check into a pass play down the field. Gus loves those plays/opportunities. 

And, to clarify, this has nothing to do with Kam Martin - who very well may be fully prepared to make a key block when we need it this season. I'm just saying, as a general rule, that there are defining moments that often arise during games that require execution (from all players) in order to exploit a particular look by the defense. If we don't have the ability to take advantage of those situations because we don't have trust in the RB on the field to do his job, that's a problem. 

Edited by Barnacle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

If we don't have the ability to take advantage of those situations because we don't have trust in the RB on the field to do his job, that's a problem. 

Can't argue with that. And it has been a huge problem the last couple years. Just hard to tell how much of it is actually on the players. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, McLoofus said:

Can't argue with that. And it has been a huge problem the last couple years. Just hard to tell how much of it is actually on the players. 

That’s my thinking. Is this a player problem or a coaches problem ? Sometimes I feel like our coaching staff could recruit a Tedd Ginn type of player and have him riding the line because he doesn’t run routes like Will Hasting. Of course this might not be the case and only the narrative our fans are projecting. It seems like coach Horton and Gus realize KM is our best option and plan on utilitizing him as such if it remains like this through fall camp.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

There was a time when Gus would be creative enough, or allow his QB to be able to exploit that.  Having a pass catching TE comes to mind (hello Lutz) or rather than blocking, it's a perfect opportunity for Kam to run a quick flat pattern or wheel route.

Soon, the D isn't so aggressive...

Or invite the rush and drop a screen off behind it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Or invite the rush and drop a screen off behind it.

Yes, exactly!

Wasn't SO long ago we'd see the AU offense do these things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

Or invite the rush and drop a screen off behind it.

You mean to someone besides our receivers? 

tenor.gif?itemid=5478402

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

Or invite the rush and drop a screen off behind it.

Pretty sure we ran that in the UGA game for a TD this past year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 80Tiger said:

Pretty sure we ran that in the UGA game for a TD this past year.

Two technically. One to Ryan Davis and one to KJ. The wr Screen to Davis was a beautifully timed play. They blitzed from that side and got fully exposed on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Pretty sure we ran that in the UGA game for a TD this past year.

Shhhhhhh! You are supposed to get on the hate-train and post about how our coaches are too stupid to call plays like that. You just aren't a team player are you, suggesting that our coaches called a successful play? Geez guy, get with the group!

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Shhhhhhh! You are supposed to get on the hate-train and post about how our coaches are too stupid to call plays like that. You just aren't a team player are you, suggesting that our coaches called a successful play? Geez guy, get with the group!

158920.jpg

 

 

But seriously, just ignore the 100:1 ratio of WR to RB screens

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Shhhhhhh! You are supposed to get on the hate-train and post about how our coaches are too stupid to call plays like that. You just aren't a team player are you, suggesting that our coaches called a successful play? Geez guy, get with the group!

Yawn.

It's great that Chip was able to dial up plays late in the season that were mysteriously not available to be called earlier in the season, when he was still on the sideline coaching Herb Hand's offensive line for him while Herb just, you know, offered some opinions. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigbird said:

158920.jpg

 

 

But seriously, just ignore the 100:1 ratio of WR to RB screens

I hope you keep the Mighty Mouse thingy handy. The more of these "Gus Sucks" threads appear, the more you'll be needing it.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I hope you keep the Mighty Mouse thingy handy. The more of these "Gus Sucks" threads appear, the more you'll be needing it.

Point out where anyone said Gus sucked or even crticized him at all. Your incessant need to defend, even when he's not being criticized, is tiresome. Fact is, while at AU, Gus has rarely called for an RB or TE screen. The overwhelming majority of the screen calls are wr screens. That's not criticism. That's fact.  Why try and defend against fact?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I hope you keep the Mighty Mouse thingy handy. The more of these "Gus Sucks" threads appear, the more you'll be needing it.

The fact that you interpret this as a "Gus Sucks" thread runs heavy counter to you being "simply not into worship mode". 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now