Kam Martin would start today

Win4AU

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I know I know.  I will be extremely happy if I am wrong.  I just don't see him being successful as a 25 carry a game back.  Yes he can gash a D for 8-10 yards a chunk but can he consistently be a guy that can get 3 yards and fall forward?  In fairness to the young man, he should not be asked to carry 25 times a game.

Likely not even 15 per game against a serious defense.....but more than that, have some concerns about him being able to make yardage after contact which is important in this league.  JMO but he might line up in the backfield for a goodly number of plays but when we need 3 yards on third down I don't see him getting the ball and don't see JS making them on his own......so that takes us back to the dreaded wildcat.   

Situational is good description....and should not considered as a curse or slam ....the NFL is full of them as is college football.  

22 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Your little series of gif learning posts might the funniest thing in this whole dang thread!  :laugh:

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Depending on how you're accessing the site, you actually can just copy image and paste. Or copy the image address (as long as it ends in .gif) and paste. At least in Chrome on Windows you can. I have more trouble on my Android. But I haven't spent much time learning how to do stuff on it. 

Edit: I forgot to compliment you on a perfectly employed (deployed?) gif. 

Many Thanks Both  (and to the patience of all). Old Dogs'n stuff.

If I could found a gif for this (below) one, I'd post it.

"Two snips, a snort, a fly turn, and a grunt
It was so simple like the jitter bug
It plum evaded me" 

[God's Own Drunk, Jimmy Buffet]

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Likely not even 15 per game against a serious defense.....but more than that, have some concerns about him being able to make yardage after contact which is important in this league.  JMO but he might line up in the backfield for a goodly number of plays but when we need 3 yards on third down I don't see him getting the ball and don't see JS making them on his own......so that takes us back to the dreaded wildcat.   

Situational is good description....and should not considered as a curse or slam ....the NFL is full of them as is college football.  

Or Miller, or Whitlow, or A. Martin, or a quick slant...

Now, if we're pondering all these scenarios within the limited confines of the Mind of Malzahn, then I get it. You're right. Gus Malzahn doesn't really have much to offer on 3rd and 3 other than a dive, the Wildcat (which I don't know why you dread it, because it regularly got us 1st downs and touchdowns with less than 5 yards to go), or a deep post, all with RB1 still in the game, even if there's only a bloody stump left where his arm should be. 

But hopefully Chip Lindsey is actually our OC now. 

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

"Two snips, a snort, a fly turn, and a grunt
It was so simple like the jitter bug
It plum evaded me" 

[God's Own Drunk, Jimmy Buffet]

Close?

Image result for jimmy buffett margarita gif

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Careful.....I got reamed out but good for making almost that same statement earlier in the thread..... I'll be happy to share your plate of crow if that becomes necessary. :)

9 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I know I know.  I will be extremely happy if I am wrong.  I just don't see him being successful as a 25 carry a game back.  Yes he can gash a D for 8-10 yards a chunk but can he consistently be a guy that can get 3 yards and fall forward?  In fairness to the young man, he should not be asked to carry 25 times a game.

I, personally, don't disagree with y'all.

I'm just not sure AU has a 25x per game back at this time.  I'm thinking (hoping) that not too deep into the season 2-3 backs step up.  Not a committee per se, but....  Thinking about '84.  In Bo's absence Auburn had 5 backs w/ 50+ carries.  Fullwood led the way but Agee and Collis Campbell were right behind him and dang near 50/50.  

This feels like that type backfield to me.  Not sure AU quite has a Fullwood (my 2nd favorite AU back of my lifetime) but Kam has that potential.  Just don't drive him into the dirt like Mason or KJ and I think sky's the limit.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Close?

Dangit, you beat me to it!!

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Close?

It'll do.

Many Thanks.

13 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm just not sure AU has a 25x per game back at this time.  I'm thinking (hoping) that not too deep into the season 2-3 backs step up.  Not a committee per se, but....  Thinking about '84.  In Bo's absence Auburn had 5 backs w/ 50+ carries.  Fullwood led the way but Agee and Collis Campbell were right behind him and dang near 50/50.  

This feels like that type backfield to me.  Not sure AU quite has a Fullwood (my 2nd favorite AU back of my lifetime) but Kam has that potential.  Just don't drive him into the dirt like Mason or KJ and I think sky's the limit.

Loved that dude.  I will always be wondering what 4 full years of him as a featured back would be like.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Exactly! The only person involved in any of this who thinks that we have to have one guy run the ball 275 freaking times is Gus Malzahn. Yes, this is a common thing in football. It is not necessary though. Having a group of talented guys who compliment each other is a good thing! Rotating your backs is a good thing! In fact, it's the future of football and already happening in the NFL! Who cares whether or not Kam Martin can run the ball 20+ times a game for an entire season? There's no reason he should have to! 

Again, I forget some people are posting from the perspective of "In Gus's offense..." To those folks, you're right. That's been the Gus Malzahn experience going on 9 years of him being here in some capacity. There's just no reason that it should have to continue. 

As a reminder, Nick Chubb carried the ball less than 15 times a game last season. Sony Michel? Less than 12. Both had significantly higher average yards per carry than Kerryon Johnson. We need to evolve. 

2 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Download/Copy?Paste?

Edit - Urea! (or something like that). Download/upload

(and, again, apologies for my learning curve)

tenor.gif

IMG_1196.GIF

16 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I have to be honest and admit that I just love the big power back with speed.  The game is changing and we are seeing less and less of them.  My hay day was the players you mentioned above along with Cobb, Webb, Tate, Hampton, Worley, Walker, Danley, and so many others in the 80's.  Those body types are for the most part all playing LB in todays game.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly! The only person involved in any of this who thinks that we have to have one guy run the ball 275 freaking times is Gus Malzahn. Yes, this is a common thing in football. It is not necessary though. Having a group of talented guys who compliment each other is a good thing! Rotating your backs is a good thing! In fact, it's the future of football and already happening in the NFL! Who cares whether or not Kam Martin can run the ball 20+ times a game for an entire season? There's no reason he should have to! 

Again, I forget some people are posting from the perspective of "In Gus's offense..." To those folks, you're right. That's been the Gus Malzahn experience going on 9 years of him being here in some capacity. There's just no reason that it should have to continue. 

As a reminder, Nick Chubb carried the ball less than 15 times a game last season. Sony Michel? Less than 12. Both had significantly higher average yards per carry than Kerryon Johnson. We need to evolve. 

I agree with you 100%.  I just have to see it first before I can get excited about the talent we recruit offensively.  

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I have to be honest and admit that I just love the big power back with speed.  The game is changing and we are seeing less and less of them.  My hay day was the players you mentioned above along with Cobb, Webb, Tate, Hampton, Worley, Walker, Danley, and so many others in the 80's.  Those body types are for the most part all playing LB in todays game.

YES!  I know we all have our favorite time periods for various subjects but for football, the 80's ROCKED!

I'll never forget Smokey Hodge just about taking Worley's head off at the LOS to prevent a first down in '88.  That's one of the few times in my life I saw my Dad throw down some "get some" attitude. Ha!

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

YES!  I know we all have our favorite time periods for various subjects but for football, the 80's ROCKED!

I'll never forget Smokey Hodge just about taking Worley's head off at the LOS to prevent a first down in '88.  That's one of the few times in my life I saw my Dad throw down some "get some" attitude. Ha!

11 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I know I'm going off on a tangent here, sorry, but for those "younguns" who didn't get to see Dye teams...THAT was a defense!  I think they might have been physically bigger than even the D is today!

And to your point NGaTiger, Worley is every bit as big as Hodge and Quinton Riggens there...

Edit:. Sorry all. I just got a little pumped up there...  Ah, memories...

5 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Helps when you've got Sony Michel and Swift back there. Those guys were insane in the screen game. 

But, the point is well taken. Either way, we are going to need at least three backs who we can rotate throughout the game. 

That also goes back to my point. KJ was said to have the best hands out of all backs that came out. We did screens....hardly with him though. That one hand grab he had that one game was top 2-3 best catches last 3 years.

Further more if it was going to be a pass that an actual tailback was going to catch we put in DB. If we were going to do the play action deep throw play we put in stove and fake the end around. We hardly fake when it looks like a running down. We do it on 2nd and 12 and stuff like that until we get a lead. If it's 3rd and long either a wr screen maybe hb screen or the statue of liberty hand off play. If I can read the stuff leisurely dedicated players are sitting on it.

So I guess I'm saying it's much more about play calling to evaluate players. When we can run on teams get around 4 yds a carry we look fantastic. But if you have to adjust from that we just don't seem to adapt well. And I know everybody struggles if you stop the run but we seem to shut down as opposed to stutter if that makes sense. I think to overcome that type of stuff is to have your most talented players in

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That also could be something to look at. KJ has 20 carries in the first half.....we usually throw when it's obvious so more than likely he's ran the ball up the middle twice and has been drilled a couple.....you should probably be bringing in a different back anyway

59 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Jovon Robinson, peak Kam Pettway... it breaks my heart that we didn't get more games with those guys. 

Google Dexter McClusters highlights. His hands are better than Kam's and was used as a received a lot, but his runs and running style is almost a mirror of KMart's

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Google Dexter McClusters highlights. His hands are better than Kam's and was used as a received a lot, but his runs and running style is almost a mirror of KMart's

181 carries in 2009. About 14 per game.

44 catches that season, too. A little over 3 per game. 

172 lbs at the combine. 2nd round draft pick. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

181 carries in 2009. About 14 per game.

44 catches that season, too. A little over 3 per game. 

172 lbs at the combine. 2nd round draft pick. 

Now we just need to use KMart in the same way

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Agreed. I was going to say Dexter was a little quicker/faster, but he ran a 4.58 40 at the combine which is baffling to me today considering how fast he was on the field. May have been hurt or something I don't know, but there's no doubt in my mind that Kam is at least 8/10 of a second faster than that, probably much more. Dexter was also smaller than Kam by a solid 15-20 pounds. Still, his last season at Ole Miss, they started running him between the tackles several games into the season and he took off. It was really remarkable what he was able to do. 

If anyone has time, watch the Ole Miss, Tennessee game from 2009. They couldn't tackle him. 

Archived