National Championships

auburn4ever

55 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I still think Payne Stewart looked stylish in the NFL knickers he wore. I especially liked these. Go Pack!

payne-stewart-pga-golfer-vintage-image-golf-star-image-color-slide-50110712.jpg

Him & Fred Couples... 2 of the sweetest swings in golf.  Easy...free flowing...and knocked the CRAP outta the ball!

Saw Payne play a practice round once.  He looked almost wierd wearing regular length pants (he only wore the knickers when he was being paid to).

RIP Mr. Stewart.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Again, I agree with the OP, but Scott Frost had a hell of a response to saban's whining about UCF claiming a title. He basically said that bama claims some titles that nobody else recognizes, too. 

Scott Frost let them off easy IMO. Alabama claimed 5 NCAA titles retroactively that no serious national organization gave them credit for. 

Alabama should be completely embarrassed for claiming the 1941 NCAA championship. They finished 3rd in the SEC and 20th in the final AP.

*** Interesting note*** Two publications awarded Texas the national champion, but they do not claim the Championship in 1941 since they were not awarded by the AP (Minnesota).

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

There was a time when the final poll came out before the bowl games. (This statement was not made in defense of the math challenged who reside in T-town <_<). They'll have to stop when they get to 20. They'll run out of fingers and toes to count on. 

But they could count their one tooth to get to 21

19 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It always comes back to recruiting, and I guarantee you that saban sold those championships when he was getting started over there. (Now he can sell his own.) 

Yep, the proofs in the puddin.  And he doesn't even have to sell his own NC's anymore, just point to the NFL and you've got a studs attention.

The reason Jacobs declined to count championships the way Alabama counts them is because Auburn Alumni were polled and voted not to count championships by using crimson tide math.  Alumni voted overwhelmingly against this for a number of reasons.  First and foremost, we don't want to do anything like Alabama does it.  Secondly, claiming these national championships would be contrary to the Auburn Creed.  If you want to get a laugh Google Alabama's mythical national championships and look for the article that interviewed the employee in Alabama's Athletic Department who figured out all the years that they should claim these championships.  The guy admits in the article that he did it to help make Alabama fans feel better about the Alabama football program.  When you look at the context of what was happening in the 80's it was that Pat Dye was our coach and Auburn was running rough-shod over Alabama.  Let's leave the claiming of national championships to the tide.

JWShewmake

15 minutes ago, JWShewmake said:

The reason Jacobs declined to count championships the way Alabama counts them is because Auburn Alumni were polled and voted not to count championships by using crimson tide math.  Alumni voted overwhelmingly against this for a number of reasons.  First and foremost, we don't want to do anything like Alabama does it.  Secondly, claiming these national championships would be contrary to the Auburn Creed.  If you want to get a laugh Google Alabama's mythical national championships and look for the article that interviewed the employee in Alabama's Athletic Department who figured out all the years that they should claim these championships.  The guy admits in the article that he did it to help make Alabama fans feel better about the Alabama football program.  When you look at the context of what was happening in the 80's it was that Pat Dye was our coach and Auburn was running rough-shod over Alabama.  Let's leave the claiming of national championships to the tide.

JWShewmake

That's a strangely level-headed and informative post.

Nice info!

War Eagle.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:21 PM, auburn4ever said:

Now that Allen Greene is our new AD, I hope someone will tell him to look into those national championships that Jay Jacobs would never claim. They are legitimate championships, and therefore Auburn should have been claiming them for years and years. We have had a lot more then just 2 national championships down through the years.

TAG - You're IT!

3 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Alumni got polled? We never saw one and no one else did that I know of. 

hqdefault.jpg

Auburn's lagit national championship seasons. 1900, 1904, 1908, 1910, 1913, 1914, 1957, 1958, 1983, 1993, 2004, 2010.

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Auburn's lagit national championship seasons. 1900, 1904, 1908, 1910, 1913, 1914, 1957, 1958, 1983, 1993, 2004, 2010.

Wow, congrats to those Lagit teams.

When was their Football national championships?

On 5/17/2018 at 3:52 PM, Tiger said:

From what I can tell the national media tells the masses Bama has 17 championships by parading that Bama helmet with #17 on it whenever they bring their logo up. They update that each time they win one. The casual fan has no idea if they're legitimate or not they just eat it up and consider it to be fact.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Bama claim titles in years that they didn't even win their bowl game???? I think you're right though. Laughing at them is the best thing to do. Also, what sports talk are you listening to that makes fun of their title claims? I WANT IN!!!

You are correct.  Bama has claimed titles where they were not even in the discussion because Golden Flake or some idiot at the Decatur Daily called them champions.  It is the equivalent of finishing 3rd in a race and claiming a championship.  It helps keep the people under control in the mobile home parks. 

Are those who indicate they did not know about a poll of Auburn Alumni members of the Auburn Alumni Association?  If you are, then maybe you did not provide the AAA your forwarding address.  I joined as a life member when my youngest daughter attended Auburn because we had moved to Chattanoona from Birmingham and at the time the Alumni Association offered a one third reduction in the tuition for out of state students if you were a lifetime member.  Cost me $400 to join and saved me about $4,500 per year or $18,000 by the time she graduated.  By the way Auburn did not give the dscount.  The Auburn Alumni Association actually had to pay one third of the tuition each semister and I paid the other two thirds.  

JWShewmake

57 minutes ago, JWShewmake said:

Are those who indicate they did not know about a poll of Auburn Alumni members of the Auburn Alumni Association?  If you are, then maybe you did not provide the AAA your forwarding address.  I joined as a life member when my youngest daughter attended Auburn because we had moved to Chattanoona from Birmingham and at the time the Alumni Association offered a one third reduction in the tuition for out of state students if you were a lifetime member.  Cost me $400 to join and saved me about $4,500 per year or $18,000 by the time she graduated.  By the way Auburn did not give the dscount.  The Auburn Alumni Association actually had to pay one third of the tuition each semister and I paid the other two thirds.  

JWShewmake

Yes, I am and have been a dues paying member for decades. If I was offered an opportunity to comment on this issue, I don't remember it. I would have voted to claim some of those. Not because of anything done in Tuskaloser, but because the players on those Auburn teams earned the honor. I don't see any of our proposed NC claims to be remotely similar to the ridiculous UAT claim of 1941, for example.

On May 19, 2018 at 2:22 AM, AUsince72 said:

hqdefault.jpg

I am a Lifetime AG Alumni since 1985. They find me to send in money every year for the Alumni Associaton. Still didn't get polled, did you ? If so how did you vote? 

20 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

I am a Lifetime AG Alumni since 1985. They find me to send in money every year for the Alumni Associaton. Still didn't get polled, did you ? If so how did you vote? 

My post was merely a feeble attempt at humor.  Clearly I failed.  :sad2:

Based on Mikey's post just above yours, you are not truly alone.

The reason Jacobs declined to count championships. Jay was AD for so long that he believed he was the boss of everything at Auburn and everyone should believe everything he said. Therefore, how dare we question him so he wasn't going to waste his time checking the true facts that Auburn did indeed win more then just 2 little football championships during Auburn's rich football history from 1892-2017.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Is this the thread I post in about Orange Jerseys?

Seating capacity and OOC scheduling. You can also make an occasional post about black cleats.

11 minutes ago, fredst said:

Seating capacity and OOC scheduling. You can also make an occasional post about black cleats.

And don't forget about Tuberville for Asst. A.D.  because he'd count all of those NCs, especially 2004. Heck, if he was Governor he might even rescind some of Bama's. 

7 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

You know Kay is an Auburn person. Should we subtract them one at a time or just all at once?

I didn't know that. Since moving from there a few years ago I don't keep up with anything really but Auburn. I was kidding of course about Tubs. If you found a way to subtract them all at once they'd just come back with twice as many. 

I voted not to claim the titles.  As I said, the vast majority who voted no indicated that they did not want this to be a "me too" situation and most of us felt that claiming the championships rather than winning them on the field would be contrary to the Auburn Creed.  Someone mentioned that all of their friends thought we ought to claim them; none of my friends who went to Auburn feel that way.  I guess it could be a function of the age as most folks younger than me clearly don't hold the same things as dearly as I do.

JWShewmake  '73

Archived