Null



Sign in to follow this  
auburn4ever

National Championships

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, auburn41 said:

I used to have discussions with buddies about this subject.  I ran across an Alabama Media Guide from 1983 about 10 years ago and snapped this picture.  This was the year before they started claiming all the additional titles.  This picture just makes me smile!!

Alabama Nat Champ 1983.jpg

Like a previous poster said, that's a hell of a resume! They already had nice things! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




1 hour ago, auburn41 said:

I used to have discussions with buddies about this subject.  I ran across an Alabama Media Guide from 1983 about 10 years ago and snapped this picture.  This was the year before they started claiming all the additional titles.  This picture just makes me smile!!

Alabama Nat Champ 1983.jpg

Lets make this go viral even though it's impressive it will still make Bama fans hyperventilate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have more then 2 football national championships that Mr. Greene and the Auburn family really needs to start claiming. Why? because they're all legitimate national championships. I maybe the only true Auburn fan who does, but I sure as heck count each and everyone of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 2:21 PM, auburn4ever said:

Now that Allen Greene is our new AD, I hope someone will tell him to look into those national championships that Jay Jacobs would never claim. They are legitimate championships, and therefore Auburn should have been claiming them for years and years. We have had a lot more then just 2 national championships down through the years.

 

Claim em' all and let God sort em' out!     I mean claim any and every one possible.   Why not at this point?   It is more about creating a narative for recruits than a source of pride for all of us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

We have more then 2 football national championships that Mr. Greene and the Auburn family really needs to start claiming. Why? because they're all legitimate national championships. I maybe the only true Auburn fan who does, but I sure as heck count each and everyone of them

Reagan-Mondale-debate-There-you-go-again

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about counting back a bunch. I would really consider claiming two different seasons and possibly a 3rd.

1983- The team capped a stellar 11–1 season, with a 9-7 victory over Michigan in the Sugar Bowl. Despite entering the bowl games ranked third in both major polls, and with both teams ranked higher losing their bowl games, the Tigers ended ranked third in the final AP and the UPI Coaches' poll as Miami jumped from 5th from the AP and 4th from the UPI Coaches' poll to claim the AP/UPI Coaches' National Championship award. Auburn had played the toughest schedule in the nation, including nine bowl teams, eight of which were ranked in the top 20 (four in the top ten), and two teams Auburn faced would compete against each other in the 1983 Florida Citrus Bowl (Tennessee won the game against Maryland 30-23). Also, Auburn beat Florida by a touchdown 28-21, the same Florida team that defeated Miami in the beginning of the season by a 28-3 score. The Tigers did finish ranked first in a few polls including the computer rankings utilized by The New York Times.

2004- Auburn compiled a record of 13–0, winning the Southeastern Conference championship and finishing the season ranked #2 in both the AP Poll and the Coaches' Poll. Beginning the season ranked #17 in the AP poll and #18 in the Coaches' Poll, the Tigers were denied a berth in the BCS National Championship Game because they finished the regular season ranked #3 in the BCS rankings. Head coach Tommy Tuberville, who was nearly fired after the 2003 season, was named national Coach of the Year by the Associated Press. This was Auburn's third undefeated season in which they played over ten games. It is widely criticized that this team was not chosen to the go to the national championship game, especially after the USC scandal. Especially since USC had the title vacated, and no national champion is recognized for the 2004 season. The college football world can also thank Auburn for being shafted this season, which ultimately led to the college football playoffs.

 

I would maybe consider 

1993- The 1993 Auburn Tigers football team represented Auburn University in the 1993 NCAA Division I-A football season. Under first-year head coach Terry Bowden, the team went undefeated with a record of 11–0 and finished #4 in the AP Poll. Due to NCAA probation, Auburn was banned from TV and post-season play, and suffered reduced scholarships. The post-season ban prevented Auburn from playing the SEC Championship and a bowl game. Nonetheless, Auburn was the only major college football team to finish the season undefeated. The National Champions Foundation recognized Auburn as one of its 1993 national champions. Bobby Bowden publicly stated that he didn't think his national champion FSU team could of beaten this squad.

I don't know about any of the other ones, certainly not enough to get us to 9. But we have a very legitimate claim to 1983 and 2004, with a unique circumstance for 1993.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

We have more then 2 football national championships that Mr. Greene and the Auburn family really needs to start claiming. Why? because they're all legitimate national championships. I maybe the only true Auburn fan who does, but I sure as heck count each and everyone of them

They are certainly not all legitimate national championships, or we wouldn't be having this discussion. But we have a very real case for 1983 2004, and a bit of one for 1993.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If JJ had been a true Auburn man like he always said he was for 13 loooooong years, he would have claimed all those national championships and had them recorded in of Auburn's football record books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

If JJ had been a true Auburn man like he always said he was for 13 loooooong years, he would have claimed all those national championships and had them recorded in of Auburn's football record books.

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2018 at 9:25 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't know about counting back a bunch. I would really consider claiming two different seasons and possibly a 3rd.

1983- The team capped a stellar 11–1 season, with a 9-7 victory over Michigan in the Sugar Bowl. Despite entering the bowl games ranked third in both major polls, and with both teams ranked higher losing their bowl games, the Tigers ended ranked third in the final AP and the UPI Coaches' poll as Miami jumped from 5th from the AP and 4th from the UPI Coaches' poll to claim the AP/UPI Coaches' National Championship award. Auburn had played the toughest schedule in the nation, including nine bowl teams, eight of which were ranked in the top 20 (four in the top ten), and two teams Auburn faced would compete against each other in the 1983 Florida Citrus Bowl (Tennessee won the game against Maryland 30-23). Also, Auburn beat Florida by a touchdown 28-21, the same Florida team that defeated Miami in the beginning of the season by a 28-3 score. The Tigers did finish ranked first in a few polls including the computer rankings utilized by The New York Times.

2004- Auburn compiled a record of 13–0, winning the Southeastern Conference championship and finishing the season ranked #2 in both the AP Poll and the Coaches' Poll. Beginning the season ranked #17 in the AP poll and #18 in the Coaches' Poll, the Tigers were denied a berth in the BCS National Championship Game because they finished the regular season ranked #3 in the BCS rankings. Head coach Tommy Tuberville, who was nearly fired after the 2003 season, was named national Coach of the Year by the Associated Press. This was Auburn's third undefeated season in which they played over ten games. It is widely criticized that this team was not chosen to the go to the national championship game, especially after the USC scandal. Especially since USC had the title vacated, and no national champion is recognized for the 2004 season. The college football world can also thank Auburn for being shafted this season, which ultimately led to the college football playoffs.

 

I would maybe consider 

1993- The 1993 Auburn Tigers football team represented Auburn University in the 1993 NCAA Division I-A football season. Under first-year head coach Terry Bowden, the team went undefeated with a record of 11–0 and finished #4 in the AP Poll. Due to NCAA probation, Auburn was banned from TV and post-season play, and suffered reduced scholarships. The post-season ban prevented Auburn from playing the SEC Championship and a bowl game. Nonetheless, Auburn was the only major college football team to finish the season undefeated. The National Champions Foundation recognized Auburn as one of its 1993 national champions. Bobby Bowden publicly stated that he didn't think his national champion FSU team could of beaten this squad.

I don't know about any of the other ones, certainly not enough to get us to 9. But we have a very legitimate claim to 1983 and 2004, with a unique circumstance for 1993.

Man, 1983 is still the one that baffles me and chaps my a**. I went to bed disappointed a little that we hadn’t emphatically beat Michigan but also giddy that we had won the first natty of my lifetime. Little did I know the screwing we were getting as I went to bed. That record against that schedule and not getting voted #1? Absolutely criminal... I’m still bitter to this day.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this