Top Ten Happiest & Unhappiest States...

DKW 86

1) I fully agree with this survey's results.

2) It says a lot about where we are as a state and where the rest of the country is in relation to that. By that, I mean that we here in Alabama rank 4th Unhappiest, yet most of our citizens wouldnt live anywhere else because they dont know any better. They think they have it better than most, yet...when blindly surveyed we actually rank 4th worst. I think the state is indeed 4th worst or there abouts. Poor education, profound ignorance, and just plain redneck backwardness are the biggest contributors.

In 2018, we will again go to the polls as a community and elect, or re-elect, the same bunch that put us here and most of the state will sit back in their double-wides and be extremely pleased with themselves. Most of the races wont even have valid or meaningful opposition. Most of our elected officials will be defacto elected in the primaries. In the state of Alabama, we got here with Boss Hawg politics of the ADP until 1990 or so and the Graddick-Baxley Fiasco. Now, we have the Boss Hawg politics of the ARP.

We need better. We deserve better.  

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/People-who-live-in-small-towns-and-rural-areas-12922528.php

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, there is an election coming up soon in 2018 and 2020.  I wonder how the press and the Democrats will react when the Trump administration utilizes the US Intelligence Services to spy on and monitor the Democratic presidential campaign?  I guess the precedent has been set, right?  I know one thing for sure, the mainstream media would not accept that behavior as OK or be apologists for Trump and the Republicans the way they have been for the Obama administration and Democrats!

Did you put that in the right thread?  This is specifically about Alabama. 

I feel pretty lucky.  Living in Huntsville and I feel about as happy as anybody has a right to feel.  

There are two, and only two, places I would ever consider moving back to in Alabama: Auburn or Orange Beach.  Huntsville isn't bad, but it's not my cup of tea beyond visiting a few friends.  I still don't understand how most of my family has a desire to stay in Montgomery.

1 hour ago, auburn41 said:

Yeah, there is an election coming up soon in 2018 and 2020.  I wonder how the press and the Democrats will react when the Trump administration utilizes the US Intelligence Services to spy on and monitor the Democratic presidential campaign?  I guess the precedent has been set, right?  I know one thing for sure, the mainstream media would not accept that behavior as OK or be apologists for Trump and the Republicans the way they have been for the Obama administration and Democrats!

Try to stay on topic here man.

47 minutes ago, HVAU said:

I feel pretty lucky.  Living in Huntsville and I feel about as happy as anybody has a right to feel.  

HSV is a great place to work and live. i sure enjoyed my many years there. First got there in 1961 si I saw it grow to the great place it is today. But I am sure enjoying my retirement in Auburn now.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

There are two, and only two, places I would ever consider moving back to in Alabama: Auburn or Orange Beach.  Huntsville isn't bad, but it's not my cup of tea beyond visiting a few friends.  I still don't understand how most of my family has a desire to stay in Montgomery.

Two great places. What about Fairhope,  or are you including that as close enough to OB?

I have lived in several states, and been to all but one, and I wouldn't leave Alabama for any of them.

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Two great places. What about Fairhope,  or are you including that as close enough to OB?

I'm more partial to OB/Perdido.  If I were to ever live down there, then get me to white, sandy beaches.  Plus, I'd like to be a little closer to Pensacola than Mobile.  Better airport, nicer town, friends, etc.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm more partial to OB/Perdido.  If I were to ever live down there, then get me to white, sandy beaches.  Plus, I'd like to be a little closer to Pensacola than Mobile.  Better airport, nicer town, friends, etc.

We split time now between Mexico Beach and Auburn but have family at OB and visit regular. Noted at OB is how well kept everything is. Notice that you do not see as much as cigarette butt on the ground in the way of litter.  

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

We split time now between Mexico Beach and Auburn but have family at OB and visit regular. Noted at OB is how well kept everything is. Notice that you do not see as much as cigarette butt on the ground in the way of litter.  

Did you see my PM?

It looks like happiness or lack there of is closely related to financial well being.  

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It looks like happiness or lack there of is closely related to financial well being.  

You noticed that too, huh?  And, not surprisingly, those states are primarily concentrated in the South.  I believe I counted 7 of the top 10 unhappiest states as ones with SEC schools (AL, MS, TN, KY, MO, LA, AR).

57 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So can I conclude that if you are financially well off the South is a great place to live?

The statement in the opening post... that people "don't know better"....gotta dispute that.   

People travel, take vacations, and readily have access to other towns, cities and states....and the vast majority live where they do by choice.....which means that almost automatically they are going to be happy.....or else they would move. 

Outsiders can rate states according to a variety of issues...education, medical care and other factors....but sometimes what makes people happiest is just having family close by...and everything else comes afterwards.   I'm bothered by the implication that people in Alabama (or pick another state) are not smart enough to know what is good for them.....or what in life is important to them. 

The nice thing about "free will" as was pointed out to me recently is that people can do what they want.....and the good thing about this country is that people who are unhappy with where they live can pretty easily pull up stakes and go somewhere else.   There must be a dozen different surveys and polls each year about the best places to live, best small towns to live in, best places to retire, the best school systems and on it goes.   Pretty easy to find a town or city that meets your criteria for "happiness" 

There is no lack of information available....and danged if I'm gonna tell someone who seems happy with their life in a double-wide with the F-150 and bass boat that they should actually be unhappy because......and then rattle off a list deficiencies about their town or county or state.....and tell them what I think should be important to them.  

35 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The statement in the opening post... that people "don't know better"....gotta dispute that.   

People travel, take vacations, and readily have access to other towns, cities and states....and the vast majority live where they do by choice.....which means that almost automatically they are going to be happy.....or else they would move. 

Outsiders can rate states according to a variety of issues...education, medical care and other factors....but sometimes what makes people happiest is just having family close by...and everything else comes afterwards.   I'm bothered by the implication that people in Alabama (or pick another state) are not smart enough to know what is good for them.....or what in life is important to them. 

The nice thing about "free will" as was pointed out to me recently is that people can do what they want.....and the good thing about this country is that people who are unhappy with where they live can pretty easily pull up stakes and go somewhere else.   There must be a dozen different surveys and polls each year about the best places to live, best small towns to live in, best places to retire, the best school systems and on it goes.   Pretty easy to find a town or city that meets your criteria for "happiness" 

There is no lack of information available....and danged if I'm gonna tell someone who seems happy with their life in a double-wide with the F-150 and bass boat that they should actually be unhappy because......and then rattle off a list deficiencies about their town or county or state.....and tell them what I think should be important to them.  

You can be happy anywhere...if you're determined to just be happy.  As you say, family is huge; or in our case; we've had to make new family many times as we've moved....It's a choice.  

1 minute ago, japantiger said:

You can be happy anywhere...if you're determined to just be happy.  As you say, family is huge; or in our case; we've had to make new family many times as we've moved....It's a choice.  

Agree....we have moved around lot as kids and adults too (at least ten different towns or cities)   Never been wealthy but comfortable by middle class standards I guess and we have enjoyed every place we lived....because of the friends we made at each place.     It's a great country isn't it ....and lots of great people.  . 

On 5/18/2018 at 9:44 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

“If you don’t like it, then move”. ?

If it werent for caring for family members, we would be gone.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

You completely missed the survey. This was from actual RESIDENTS from the states themselves just about their own states. There was no rating other states nor commenting about other states. This was strictly rating your own state. This is what Alabama residents said about ALABAMA. 

They then compared those survey results to other states' own results.

18 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You noticed that too, huh?  And, not surprisingly, those states are primarily concentrated in the South.  I believe I counted 7 of the top 10 unhappiest states as ones with SEC schools (AL, MS, TN, KY, MO, LA, AR).

Basically everywhere in the SEC but GA and FL.

41 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree....we have moved around lot as kids and adults too (at least ten different towns or cities)   Never been wealthy but comfortable by middle class standards I guess and we have enjoyed every place we lived....because of the friends we made at each place.     It's a great country isn't it ....and lots of great people.  . 

It is a great country .... our moves have taken us out of the country ... so we've made friends with a lot of American's overseas; but also Chinese, Malaysian, Japanese, Singaporean, Aussies, NZ, Dutch, Indians, Swedes, Swiss, Brits, Germans, French, Russians, Ukrainians, Saudi's, Israeli's, South African, Lebanese, Jordanians, Emire-atties, Moroccan's, Egyptians, Kazakh's, Slovak's, Czech's,....... people are people ... when you're all away from home, you're all looking for "new" family.  It's always made our holiday's and "family" get together's a lot of fun ...  nothing quite like the nighttime Easter egg hunt in Horai Park in Tokyo ... the locals never quite figured out what all those crazy foreign kids were doing running around with flashlights in their park .  We brought these kind of "traditions" with us around the world ....

Archived