Top Ten Happiest & Unhappiest States...

DKW 86

4 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Basically everywhere in the SEC but GA and FL.

Well, I understand that Ark and MS thing....I completely get that.  

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

You completely missed the survey. This was from actual RESIDENTS from the states themselves just about their own states. There was no rating other states nor commenting about other states. This was strictly rating your own state. This is what Alabama residents said about ALABAMA. 

They then compared those survey results to other states' own results.

Guess I didn't dig deep enough ...what I read did not lead me to believe that people were asked about happiness.....but about aspects of their lives which the pollsters then interpreted in deciding that people were happy or unhappy.    work environment, community environment... guess I'm not sure what those things mean....and did not see the actual survey form so not sure what the questions were.   Seems this was not an actual survey but an interpretation of what people said about their states.......and not necessarily whether they were happy?   :dunno:    So maybe I missed the point....or maybe the title of the survey was misleading. 

And also as for not knowing any better, surely you don't think people from Alabama would have happier lives if they moved to Nebraska or Iowa do you?        

58 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree....we have moved around lot as kids and adults too (at least ten different towns or cities)   Never been wealthy but comfortable by middle class standards I guess and we have enjoyed every place we lived....because of the friends we made at each place.     It's a great country isn't it ....and lots of great people.  . 

Trump doesn't consider it "great".  He wants to get back to great.  MAGA

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

Trump doesn't consider it "great".  He wants to get back to great.  MAGA

Who has mentioned Trump other than your Trump obsessed old ass ?  Perhaps  @AU64 @japantiger @Proud Tiger @NolaAuTiger  and most people always felt America was  great. Barry did his best to try and  convince us otherwise. MAGA

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

And also as for not knowing any better, surely you don't think people from Alabama would have happier lives if they moved to Nebraska or Iowa do you?        

It's very possible depending on priorities.  Their basic educational needs from K-12 would certainly be better, which would in turn offer more opportunity down the road.

I can tell you that as an Alabama native that moved away, I would be pretty miserable if I had to move back home.  The things that I love aren't as abundant in Alabama as they are in other places and I certainly wouldn't be working in my industry (which I enjoy immensely) if I was there.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's very possible depending on priorities.  Their basic educational needs from K-12 would certainly be better, which would in turn offer more opportunity down the road.

I can tell you that as an Alabama native that moved away, I would be pretty miserable if I had to move back home.  The things that I love aren't as abundant in Alabama as they are in other places and I certainly wouldn't be working in my industry (which I enjoy immensely) if I was there.

Yep....and though growing up in Alabama and Mississippi....I've lived in North Carolina most of my life now. And while I miss the gulf coast, I stayed up here after retirement because of my children and grand children and am happy with my choice.   But most years I go home (still consider that home down there) and I see some family and old HS friends who just love the coast and my best HS friend indeed has his F150 and boat on a trailer in his yard....and is happy as can be.      He's an MSU grad and worked at Ingalls Shipbuilding in IT for 40 years.....and loves the crappy town we both lived in our final HS days. ....as they say...there is  no accounting for taste....:)  

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Can not buy that you would be miserable moving back to the state. Smart people like you can make home anywhere and be happy. 

52 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Who has mentioned Trump other than your Trump obsessed old ass ?  Perhaps  @AU64 @japantiger @Proud Tiger @NolaAuTiger  and most people always felt America was  great. Barry did his best to try and  convince us otherwise. MAGA

Irony

(Sounds like it's past time for you to stop drinking, btw.)

29 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Glad you are happy where you are?

24 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If you are a sportsman, outdoorsman or otherwise a lover of nature, Alabama is fantastic.   The biological and ecological diversity is immense, almost uniquely so. (Alabama has four separate river systems resulting in one of the highest - if not the highest - number of turtle species in the world.  Herpetologists all over the world know about Alabama.)    

I hope they keep it.

8 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Can not buy that you would be miserable moving back to the state. Smart people like you can make home anywhere and be happy. 

Salty, the things that I really enjoy are sadly not in Alabama.  As much as I love Auburn sports and golfing, there's too many other things missing.  Just a few things that I like are a vibrant music scene, trying new foods/drink experiences (AL is slowly getting better here), good hockey, and not having to drive two hours to get to a decently sized airport.  My priorities and interests are just different than yours, but trust me, I'd be miserable.  Never liked living in AL as a kid either.

I do enjoy certain things about the state but there aren't enough positives for me to proactively want to be there full time.

3 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Glad you are happy where you are?

Moving next year from Texas and I can't wait.  Have been dying to get to Nashville and finally making the move.

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If you are a sportsman, outdoorsman or otherwise a lover of nature, Alabama is fantastic.   The biological and ecological diversity is immense, almost uniquely so. (Alabama has four separate river systems resulting in one of the highest - if not the highest - number of turtle species in the world.  Herpetologists all over the world know about Alabama.)    

I hope they keep it.

Oh AL is BEAUTIFUL if you know where to go.  But I'm not the sportsman/outdoors type.  Much prefer to spend my Saturday at a food/music festival than in the woods :)

Agree with you though.  Hope that natural beauty never changes for the state.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Moving next year from Texas and I can't wait.  Have been dying to get to Nashville and finally making the move.

Great move to Nashville. Two great people in my life are there. 

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Nashville is a good town. My granddaughter and her family are in the process of moving from Denver to Nashville where husband will be doing medical residency at Vanderbilt.

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

Nashville is a good town. My granddaughter and her family are in the process of moving from Denver to Nashville where husband will be doing medical residency at Vanderbilt.

We're moving there partly to get closer to Vanderbilt.  Their medical center is the top research place for my wife's health condition.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We're moving there partly to get closer to Vanderbilt.  Their medical center is the top research place for my wife's health condition.

You are blessed to have the opportunity to work in areas of your choice. That is probably the primary reason Auburn is seeing the growth we are witnessing. A lot of people like yourself can work from a locale of their choosing more so than in the past. 

If you are young and have a family this place is tough beat. Aside from Auburn City the Lee County School system is great compared to others. 

Who would have thought we would come to Auburn and see 5 or 6 tower cranes.......sad to me in a big way. 

I do take issue with this: " most of our citizens wouldnt live anywhere else because they dont know any better. ". Almost everybody travels, they do know better. I was born and raised in Miami, 3rd generation there. No way would I go back. I lived four years in Panama City, Fl. Have traveled and spent considerable time in many other states. I'm in Alabama by choice, and it's a fully informed choice.

Archived