CNN, NYT, ABC News, C-SPAN Take Trump Out of Context to Falsely Suggest He Called Immigrants ‘Animals’

Auburn85

https://www.mediaite.com/online/cnn-nyt-abc-news-c-span-take-trump-out-of-context-to-suggest-he-called-immigrants-animals/

President Donald Trump held a meeting on illegal immigration at the White House on Wednesday and one particular moment went viral… but for all the wrong reasons.

Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims expressed her frustrations with the federal government to the president regarding the handling of criminal illegal immigrants and cited MS-13 gang members as an example. Responding directly to that, Trump said the following:

“You wouldn’t believe how bad these people are. These aren’t people, these are animals, and we’re taking them out of the country at a level and at a rate that’s never happened before.”

However, dozens of media outlets have only shared the response to Sheriff Mims, not including her question and comments that were directly about MS-13 and in the process purposefully mischaracterizing the president’s remarks to accuse him of referring to immigrants as “animals.”

CNN, ABC News, CBS News, NBC News, and C-SPAN shared the clip on Twitter leaving out the crucial context of Trump’s response.

jo6xApimGLTUhSKg?format=jpg&name=small
LnvhR8ED_normal.png

"We're taking people out of the country. You wouldn't believe how bad these people are. These aren't people — these are animals." During a meeting with public officials who oppose California’s sanctuary policies, Pres. Trump criticized US immigration laws https://trib.al/jDvH1Vx 

DdW6_cSU0AATslW?format=jpg&name=small

Pres. Trump refers to some who cross the border illegally as 'animals,' not people. "You wouldn't believe how bad these people are."

The president was holding a roundtable discussion with California elected officials who oppose the state's sanctuary law. https://abcn.ws/2rPYlRo 

uJySpKzV2RrCmY5-?format=jpg&name=small

"These aren't people. These are animals." President Trump used the harsh rhetoric to describe some undocumented immigrants during a California "sanctuary state" roundtable. https://cbsn.ws/2IpNIvO 

DdWzIoYXkAA3a5Y?format=jpg&name=small

"We're taking people out of the country — you wouldn't believe how bad these people are. These aren't people. These are animals."

President Trump says the U.S. has "the dumbest laws on immigration in the world" during a roundtable on sanctuary cities.

DdWBWUCX4AMhviM?format=jpg&name=small

President Trump during California #SanctuaryCities Roundtable: "These aren't people. These are animals."

Full video here: https://cs.pn/2INPSJ4 

The New York Times shared Trump’s quote and implied that he was referring to “undocumented immigrants” instead of violent gang members.

Trump lashed out at undocumented immigrants during a White House meeting, calling those trying to breach the country’s borders “animals” https://nyti.ms/2rJgCjs 

The Associated Press tweeted out an article, referring to MS-13 as “some immigrants.”

NBC News Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Andrea Mitchell tweeted that Trump’s “animal” jab was in reference to “people trying to get into the country.”

A tough take down by the California governor after @realDonaldTrump calls people trying to get into the country "animals" not people. https://twitter.com/JerryBrownGov/status/996846319330209792 

Washington Post reporter Robert Costa noted that the president had used the term “animal” before on the campaign trail in 2015, but what he neglected to mention was that Trump specifically used the word in reference to the illegal immigrant who shot and killed Kate Steinle.

The New York Daily News accused Trump of “hurling hate at immigrants” with its Thursday cover.

Among the headlines, The New York Times had “Trump Calls Some Unauthorized Immigrants ‘Animals in Rant,” USA Today had “Trump calls undocumented people ‘animals,’ rhetoric with a dark past,”Vox had “Trump on deported immigrants: ‘They’re not people They’re animals,'” The Huffington Post had “Trump Refers to Immigrants As ‘Animals.’ Again,” Business Insider had “Trump says some unauthorized immigrants ‘aren’t people’ but ‘animals’ who will be rapidly kicked out of the US,” and The Washington Post had “Calling immigrants ‘animals,’ Trump evokes an ugly history of dehumanization.”

While the president’s attacks of the media by constantly dismissing them as “fake news” sets a dangerous precedent,  the media certainly doesn’t help its cause — giving him and his supporters ammunition — when it misleads viewers and readers by purposefully taking him out of context.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.mediaite.com/online/chuck-todd-backs-trump-for-calling-ms-13-gang-members-animals-i-dont-care-where-theyre-from/

Chuck Todd Backs Trump For Calling MS-13 Gang Members Animals: ‘I Don’t Care Where They’re From’

President Donald Trump got an unlikely ally in his latest battle with the media over his comments labeling MS-13 gang members as “animals.”

Appearing on the Bernie & Sid Show on WABC Radio in New York on Friday, NBC’s Chuck Todd — whom the president has dismissively referred to as “Sleepy Eyed Chuck” — said that he’s in agreement with Trump over his use of the term “animals.”

“A lot of people have called violent anybody animals,” Todd said. “Anybody who is a violent criminal in my book can get called an animal. They’re mulling, killing, and raping people. I don’t care where they are from.”

The Meet the Press host added that he believed the brouhaha over the remarks — comments which a number of outlets misrepresented in their initial reporting — could potentially play into the hands of Trump, and damage the media’s credibility.

“This is where I think that my colleagues do us all harm,” Todd said. “You know, cover this legitimately. There is plenty of legitimate stuff to ding him on, if you think he deserves to be dinged on. Just be careful, don’t be sloppy about it.”

Lol, the media. Works both ways, kinda like when the right wing versions latched on to Obama saying "setback" after the Paris attacks for example.

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2015/11/18/right-wing-media-take-obama-out-of-context-clai/206936

2018 people, have we not figured out media caters to groups for ratings?

Cue me up some Don Henley Golf.

Pure and simple MS-13 ARE animals. You can sugar coat it all you want but even calling them animals is being kind.

I don't call any human being an 'animal.'  Dehumanizing is the first step down a bad road, even if you only use it for "bad people."  You can call their actions anything you want, but every person is an image bearer of God whom Christ died to redeem.

40 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't call any human being an 'animal.'  Dehumanizing is the first step down a bad road, even if you only use it for "bad people."  You can call their actions anything you want, but every person is an image bearer of God whom Christ died to redeem.

You’d think the 81% of evangelucals who support Trump would know this. But I guess none of them post here. 

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

You’d think the 81% of evangelucals who support Trump would know this. But I guess none of them post here. 

+1

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

True.

But also, we need to set the record straight on this 81% number that's gotten around.

First the claim was 81% of white evangelicals.  So it wasn't all evangelicals.  But even that number is faulty.  That number came from one exit poll.  And it only asked it of people who actually voted.  Only 56.8% of eligible voters even cast a vote in the presidential election.  So a rough estimate of the percentage of all white evangelicals who voted for Trump is actually in the neighborhood of 35-40%.

On top of that, only about half of those who voted for Trump say they did so because they liked Trump.  51% of them said it was a vote "against Hillary."  So the "support Trump" segment of evangelicals is now down to around 20%.  Now that's too high to me, but it's no where near 81%.

Look, I'm ashamed that he garnered any support.  I'm especially pissed off that they let him get out of the Republican primaries.  It's one thing to say that you voted for him because you truly thought Hillary was worse on certain key issues.  That excuse loses all its steam when you look at the primary.  We could have nominated someone better and chose not to.  That abomination is totally on them.  But whatever criticism has been earned or deserved, don't walk around assuming that 8 out of every 10 white conservative Christians you meet voted for or supported Trump.  There were a lot of us who either sat the election out, voted for other offices on the ballot but abstained on the presidential election, or voted for a third-party candidate.

36 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

True.

But also, we need to set the record straight on this 81% number that's gotten around.

First the claim was 81% of white evangelicals.  So it wasn't all evangelicals.  But even that number is faulty.  That number came from one exit poll.  And it only asked it of people who actually voted.  Only 56.8% of eligible voters even cast a vote in the presidential election.  So a rough estimate of the percentage of all white evangelicals who voted for Trump is actually in the neighborhood of 35-40%.

On top of that, only about half of those who voted for Trump say they did so because they liked Trump.  51% of them said it was a vote "against Hillary."  So the "support Trump" segment of evangelicals is now down to around 20%.  Now that's too high to me, but it's no where near 81%. 

Look, I'm ashamed that he garnered any support.  I'm especially pissed off that they let him get out of the Republican primaries.  It's one thing to say that you voted for him because you truly thought Hillary was worse on certain key issues.  That excuse loses all its steam when you look at the primary.  We could have nominated someone better and chose not to.  That abomination is totally on them.  But whatever criticism has been earned or deserved, don't walk around assuming that 8 out of every 10 white conservative Christians you meet voted for or supported Trump.  There were a lot of us who either sat the election out, voted for other offices on the ballot but abstained on the presidential election, or voted for a third-party candidate. 

That may be true, but high profile evangelicals' continued support and rationalization of his behavior and presidency doesn't reflect well upon them.

12 minutes ago, AUDub said:

That may be true, but high profile evangelicals' continued support and rationalization of his behavior and presidency doesn't reflect well upon them.

I agree.  But assuming that high profile evangelicals speak for most or all evangelicals is like assuming that Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson or Louis Farrakhan speak for most or all black people.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I agree.  But assuming that high profile evangelicals speak for most or all evangelicals is like assuming that Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson or Louis Farrakhan speak for most or all black people.

Sorry Titan, but now you know what it's like to be a Southern- born, good-ole-boy who's not a conservative.  ;D

White evangelical support of Donald Trump is at an all-time high, according to a new study. The poll, conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute in March, found that a full 75 percent of white evangelicals surveyed had a positive opinion of Donald Trump, compared to just 22 percent holding an unfavorable view. Among white evangelical men, that number is even higher — 81 percent — while 71 percent of white evangelical women also view Trump favorably. The poll has been tracking Trump’s ratings since he first became a Republican primary candidate in March 2015.

21 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Lol, the media. Works both ways, kinda like when the right wing versions latched on to Obama saying "setback" after the Paris attacks for example.

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2015/11/18/right-wing-media-take-obama-out-of-context-clai/206936

2018 people, have we not figured out media caters to groups for ratings?

Cue me up some Don Henley Golf.

Feels appropriate its about certain kind of reporters.... on a side note concerts in Tokyo are the very very best

Don Henley is one of the best songwriters ever. That he can make political commentary, scorn, and ridicule and make it kick...Awesome man...

10 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

True.

I don’t assume, Titan. My pastor and several of my deacons supported Trump. Those same men also supported Roy Moore. Many people I know personally,who identify as Christian,  voted for Trump and some continue to vocally support him still. Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell, Jr. and other pastors endorsed Trump. I’ll give you the fact that the percentages could be skewed due to the percentage of evangelicals who actually voted. But honestly you are the only Christian Republican I know that didn’t vote Trump. 

13 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Good for you.......

You sure don't come across that even keel when it comes to Trump voters.  You take the gloves off for them... Preach it Titan, preach it. 

The outrage in this thread over the 'animals' line is full of so much fail and disingenuous nonsense.

It's rather fitting that a couple of the people in this thread crowing the most about what it means to be a Christian or evangelical weren't bothered by the 'basket of deplorable's' line in 2016 and haven't been since then. Or at least as of today they still haven't voiced their outrage about it. But Trump calls MS 13 gang members 'animals' and they promptly chime in with their vocal outrage to it because of their passionate hatred of Trump and his voters. 

Calling folks deplorable's or joking about them being deplorable's is cool and apparently not dehumanizing.....................

Oh would you look at this Titan:

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/159928-moore-or-jones/?page=26&tab=comments#comment-2789206

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/161728-nice-move-dicks-sporting-goods/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-2830714

Oh would you look at this Elle:

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/152670-hillary-clinton-has-medical-episode-at-911-ceremony-source-says/?tab=comments#comment-2533306

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/152641-donald-trumps-base-belong-in-a-basket-of-deplorables-hillary-clinton/?do=findComment&comment=2533296

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/152845-todays-trump-wtf-moment/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-2541227

5 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Good for you.......

You sure don't come across that even keel when it comes to Trump voters.  You take the gloves off for them... Preach it Titan, preach it. 

Have I ever said any voter, Trump or otherwise, are less than human?  Good grief you guys are the most oversensitive bunch of nancies. 

The outrage in this thread over the 'animals' line is full of so much fail and disingenuous nonsense.

It’s not disingenuous. It’s something I have given a lot of thought to because it’s so very tempting. I’m not some automaton that doesn’t feel anger and rage at what people like this do. I didn’t yell or scream or show “outrage.”  I simply stated why I felt it’s important not to cross some lines in our rhetoric. 

It's rather fitting that a couple of the people in this thread crowing the most about what it means to be a Christian or evangelical weren't bothered by the 'basket of deplorable's' line in 2016 and haven't been since then. Or at least as of today they still haven't voiced their outrage about it. But Trump calls MS 13 gang members 'animals' and they promptly chime in with their vocal outrage to it because of their passionate hatred of Trump and his voters. 

Calling folks deplorable's or joking about them being deplorable's is cool and apparently not dehumanizing.....................

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/159928-moore-or-jones/?page=26&tab=comments#comment-2789206

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/161728-nice-move-dicks-sporting-goods/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-2830714

What exactly am I supposed to be looking at?  Are you confused by the fact that not all insults or name calling are of the same degree?  That calling someone deplorable isn’t the same as saying they aren’t people?

Take a Valium and try not to get the vapors.

44 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Good for you.......

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/152670-hillary-clinton-has-medical-episode-at-911-ceremony-source-says/?tab=comments#comment-2533306

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/152641-donald-trumps-base-belong-in-a-basket-of-deplorables-hillary-clinton/?do=findComment&comment=2533296

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/152845-todays-trump-wtf-moment/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-2541227

Man, that's just demented.  :no:

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

What exactly am I supposed to be looking at?  Are you confused by the fact that not all insults or name calling are of the same degree?  That calling someone deplorable isn’t the same as saying they aren’t people?

And there it is folks. Doubling down...... So 'deplorable's' is still considered to be showing humanity, that's the rationale/excuse you're going with? .....

How thoughtful and kind of you to give that much consideration to people that you condemn and consider unworthy of being on your level. It takes a noble and humble to person to admit that they're just morally superior...... hahahahahaha

I'm not mad or fuming, I find your righteous moral anti-Trump crusades invigorating. It turns a boring and dull day into something more exciting. I have fun with it. If you think I'm fuming then yet again it's a disconnect in understanding. Typing out thoughts and trying to express them don't always come across the way you like on here. 

I was actually laughing reading some of the old comments in the links I posted. I sure wasn't fuming or had the 'vapors' as you put it. I find the disingenuous tone you take whenever something is aimed towards Trump or Trump voters to be ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Man, that's just demented.  :no:

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

I don’t assume, Titan. My pastor and several of my deacons supported Trump. Those same men also supported Roy Moore. Many people I know personally,who identify as Christian,  voted for Trump and some continue to vocally support him still. Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell, Jr. and other pastors endorsed Trump. I’ll give you the fact that the percentages could be skewed due to the percentage of evangelicals who actually voted. But honestly you are the only Christian Republican I know that didn’t vote Trump. 

No way a true Christian could have voted Trump is there Elle?

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Good for you.......

In all your research into the past you failed to find that Hillary Clinton apologized for the deplorable comment? 

Has Trump apologized for any of insults to John McCain, Chuck Todd, Ted Cruz, Heidi Cruz, Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, Barack Obama, Jeff Sessions, women, Hispanics, Senator Warren, Native Americans, et. al? 

And fwiw, my only criticism in this thread was for evangelical Trumpers. I didn’t criticize your boy.

12 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

No way a true Christian could have voted Trump is there Elle?

You tell me what characteristics Trump possesses that would make a follower of Jesus vote for him. 

3 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

You tell me what characteristics Trump possesses that would make a follower of Jesus vote for him. 

If we voted on characteristics we would all steer clear of the booth on most occasions sad to say. Christians did not meddle with the election......it was the russians.

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

If we voted on characteristics we would all steer clear of the booth on most occasions sad to say. Christians did not meddle with the election......it was the russians.

Evangelicals are totally debasing themselves with their support of Trump.  Your mileage might vary.

Archived