Hosting/Regional Placement

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I assume if Duke does get a regional they would have to play at Bulls AP, I know there's no capacity regs on the first round but Coombs is tiny....

Image result for jack coombs field

Looks like a section of our softball complex TBH.

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

OU just eliminated Texas. Only the 2nd time in Big 12 conference history the regular season Big 12 champ went 2 & out in the Big 12 tourney, TCU in 2015.

Really could hurt UT's hosting chances.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Really could hurt UT's hosting chances.

Yup! I still think they will be in the 14-16 range though.

Wake just got out of a bases loaded, no out jam in the top of the 10th vs Duke. Still tied 2-2.

UConn getting blasted by USF 11-0 in the 6th. ECU is down to Houston 3-2 in the 4th. Both teams have to lose twice to be eliminated from the AAC Tourney. Not sure why both are so pressed for national seeds. They didn't even finish 1 or 2 in their conference.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well they are 5-4 versus the RPI Top 25 while we are 6-11. We dominate them everywhere else though so I agree with you. 13-6 to 1-2 vs RPI 26-50, 8-1 to 10-6 vs RPI 51-100, & 8-1 to 12-2 to RPI 101-200 teams. Also we have played 17 games vs RPI top 25 teams while they only played 9, 36 vs top 50 while they played 12. 45 vs the to 100 while they played 28. Lastly our SOS is 12 while theirs is 77.

They also had 7 conference series against teams with RPI 50-200.....we had 1.

ECU also lost today. They & UConn both have win or go home semi final games in the AAC Saturday vs. the 2 & 1 seeds respectively USF & Houston.

Texas Tech beat Okie St to stay alive in the Big 12 Tourney.

NC St is losing to UVA in the 6th 3-2.

Stetson is losing to Kennesaw 1-0 in the 7th.

Lots of teams having to address the question.....what must we do in the conference tournament to nail down a tourney slot.    

As for Duke....they have a problem about the Durham stadium being committed for minor league games during a part of the tournament.....have not heard what their plan B might be.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

As for Duke....they have a problem about the Durham stadium being committed for minor league games during a part of the tournament.....have not heard what their plan B might be.

Durham is at home during the entire Regional Round. They may have to go to Charlotte if the stadium is big enough. Every other college or minor league team in the area will or may be at home.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Durham is at home during the entire Regional Round. They may have to go to Charlotte if the stadium is big enough. Every other college or minor league team in the area will or may be at home.

Thought I had heard that last week but thought it only applied to the first round.  Otherwise there are some good minor league parks in reasonable distance but availability is an issue of course.  Greensboro has a great park but I see the Grasshoppers are home the next few weekends.....

Duke might have to travel a bit ...but I recall several years ago that Coastal Carolina played their home series in Chapel Hill....

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thought I had heard that last week but thought it only applied to the first round. 

Regional Round is the 1st round/weekend. 2nd Weekend is the Super Regional Round.

NC St lost to UVA 4-2. If they lose tomorrow to FSU they head home without a win in the ACC Tourney.

Some teams who have been considered hosts have had RPIs fall. NC State is at 18, UConn is 19, Duke is 20. But Jacksonville and USF are now 16 and 17.

At this point, I don't see Auburn getting a host spot. I think the record against RPI top 25 teams and the regular season conference record will be the reasons why. I think we should host, but I don't think we will get quite over the hump, although the resume is worthy.

This is my guess on the 16 teams: Florida, Stanford, Arkansas, Oregon St, UGA, Ole Miss, UNC, FSU, Clemson, Texas Tech, Stetson, Minnesota, UConn, Texas, ECU, and NC State. 

Rounding out the rest of yesterday's notable results...

UCLA lost to Oregon St 2-0
Minnesota beat Illinois 3-0
Coastal Carolina pounded USA 16-4
Stetson beat Kennesaw 2-1

Today's notable games

UConn-USF: UConn leads 1-0 in the 2nd of an elimination game
ECU-Houston: ECU leads 2-1 in the 2nd of an elimination game
Stetson-Jacksonville
Duke-Louisville: Duke eliminated from ACC Tourney with a loss
NC St.-FSU: NC St would go 0-2 in the ACC Tourney with a loss
UCLA-Oregon St:
TTU-WVU: elimination game for Tech

22 minutes ago, boomstick said:

D1Baseball currently has us as bubble in, meaning they're projecting us as a host at the moment.

Interesting. Kendal Rogers of D1 said yesterday on Jox he still had ECU & UConn as host sites over AU. That was before they both lost a game yesterday & other beneficial results.

Louisville put up a 4 spot in the 1st against Duke
ECU pounding Houston 9-1 in the 5th.
UConn down to USF 2-1 in the 5th

26 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

E, what do yo see as our percent chance to host right now?

I have no clue.

26 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

And how much does that change if we lose or win today?

Winning today should lock us in.Losing to the Rebs, a likely top 8 national seed shouldn't hurt.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:
1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

E, what do yo see as our percent chance to host right now?

I have no clue.

You're so modest.

31 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Let the debate really begin now. Has Auburn done enough? In my opinion, they have- especially with a slew of bubble teams going down today.....

I think that win over OM was huge.  If we get one though, we're 15 or 16.

39 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Let the debate really begin now. Has Auburn done enough? In my opinion, they have- especially with a slew of bubble teams going down today.....

I'm putting out a no.  One short of the magical 40 number and no regional host from the SEC has ever finished 15-15 in conference.  Hoping it's an ECU regional over a Clemson (gross!) regional though. 

Man, it’s going to be close. There are a bunch of positives in our favor. Tied for most top 50 games, 4th in top 50 wins, 12th in RPI, 7 SOS, 18-17 in SEC games. The negatives are 5-12 vs RPI top 25, 15-15 regular season conference record, one short of 40 wins, most top 50 losses. 

I think, on a blind resume test, we stack up on paper as well or better than any of the teams we’re on the bubble with. But I think some outside factors like midmajors or geography or things a bit out of our control will factor into the decision that will swing it away from us. 

I just hope if the committee doesn’t give us a host spot they at least give us a fair draw and send us to one of the last seeded regional sites, even if that means a trip to Minnesota or UConn or ECU. 

23 hours ago, ellitor said:

Rounding out the rest of yesterday's notable results...

UCLA lost to Oregon St 2-0
Minnesota beat Illinois 3-0
Coastal Carolina pounded USA 16-4
Stetson beat Kennesaw 2-1

Today's notable games

UConn-USF: UConn leads 1-0 in the 2nd of an elimination game
ECU-Houston: ECU leads 2-1 in the 2nd of an elimination game
Stetson-Jacksonville
Duke-Louisville: Duke eliminated from ACC Tourney with a loss
NC St.-FSU: NC St would go 0-2 in the ACC Tourney with a loss
UCLA-Oregon St:
TTU-WVU: elimination game for Tech

So, UConn and ECU won today and will play in their conference championship game. Stetson beat Jacksonville and then Jacksonville lost to N Florida to get eliminated from the ACCT. Duke lost and was eliminated. NC State lost and was eliminated from the ACCT. UCLA lost to Oregon State. Texas Tech is losing to WVU in the 6th. 

Archived