Softball: The Future

2 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Seems there is at least a 80+% probability it will be a strike pretty much down the middle of the plate (I have no statistics to back that statement; just observation opinion) and probably the best pitch you will see during that at bat. .

That is almost certainly not the case, the softball strikezone is tiny, and even good pitchers don't have pinpoint command. Plus a mostly singles hitter isn't the one you turn loose on 3-0.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO he has another year, if we don't play well next year then we need to find another coach or we will be the last team in the SEC pretty quickly.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:28 PM, around4ever said:

Ashlee Swindle had 0 ABs this season.  Her HS Senior season stats were .557 Average with 13 homers and 86 RBIs.

I would not get too hung up on HS numbers.  If you watch these girls in summer against top competition, you get a lot better idea of potential.

On 5/22/2018 at 9:18 AM, OlderWhiskey said:

A meaty article from Josh.  What's this injury that Carlson had?

Like most college athletes, they all deal with something and try to get to about 85%.  She struggled with some hip issues all year.  

Good to see some of the softball team supporting baseball at the SEC tournament.

On 5/22/2018 at 12:32 PM, AU64 said:

I don't know the rules that well, but softball rules are very helpful to the coaches if they know when and how to use the re-entry rules and some others to their benefit. ....and I'm not sure CMD has worked the rules to his advantage..,.....could be wrong of course but he seems less inclined to use "offensive" and "defensive" players via substitution or work the re-entry process.    

I can remember against Alabama a situation where the rules used him.  Can't remember exactly who it was, maybe Podany, but he didn't notify the umpire that he was reinserting her after pinch hitting  and it cost us.   I know the competition he faced at JMU, other that a few games against power 5 teams, wasn't anything like the SEC.  So in regard to game decisions, I hope this was a learning year.  Defensively, I'm not concerned about next year.  I think we'll be fine.  My concerns are hitting and pitching.  It is way more difficult to teach hitting, but pitching is another thing.  Our returning pitchers have to develop new pitches.   All need more speed.   If Martin returns and, JMO , that may be a big IF,  she has to have another pitch.  She already throws a 67 mph drop.  With her build, she could probably throw a 70 mph fastball or a curve, which would complement her drop and change up very well.  Harris needs more speed as well.  Her off speed is fine going through the order one time.  After that, teams adjust and start hitting her.  Same thing for Swindle, although you can add her penchant to give up long balls.  Didn't see Bilodeau enough to know about her.  One huge concern is we didn't sign a pitcher.  If Martin does leave, we will be in big trouble.  Whether or not she stays, it would be nice if we could pick up a grad transfer like FSU did.  I see other schools' young coaches and several true freshmen contributing to their teams and I hope we aren't falling behind.  If next year is worse than this year, it may be too late in that regard.

17 minutes ago, saminbama said:

I can remember against Alabama a situation where the rules used him.  Can't remember exactly who it was, maybe Podany, but he didn't notify the umpire that he was reinserting her after pinch hitting  and it cost us.   I know the competition he faced at JMU, other that a few games against power 5 teams, wasn't anything like the SEC.  So in regard to game decisions, I hope this was a learning year.  Defensively, I'm not concerned about next year.  I think we'll be fine.  My concerns are hitting and pitching.  It is way more difficult to teach hitting, but pitching is another thing.  Our returning pitchers have to develop new pitches.   All need more speed.   If Martin returns and, JMO , that may be a big IF,  she has to have another pitch.  She already throws a 67 mph drop.  With her build, she could probably throw a 70 mph fastball or a curve, which would complement her drop and change up very well.  Harris needs more speed as well.  Her off speed is fine going through the order one time.  After that, teams adjust and start hitting her.  Same thing for Swindle, although you can add her penchant to give up long balls.  Didn't see Bilodeau enough to know about her.  One huge concern is we didn't sign a pitcher.  If Martin does leave, we will be in big trouble.  Whether or not she stays, it would be nice if we could pick up a grad transfer like FSU did.  I see other schools' young coaches and several true freshmen contributing to their teams and I hope we aren't falling behind.  If next year is worse than this year, it may be too late in that regard.

It didn't cost us a thing.  It was an oversight on Dean's part but it didn't have any impact on the outcome of the game.   Podany actually recorded the out twice if I recall correctly (the 2nd one on a great diving catch on the left field line).  

On 5/27/2018 at 1:11 PM, WarTiger said:

It didn't cost us a thing.  It was an oversight on Dean's part but it didn't have any impact on the outcome of the game.   Podany actually recorded the out twice if I recall correctly (the 2nd one on a great diving catch on the left field line).  

It didn't impact that outcome, but it did get them another AB.  That can't be allowed.

Speaking of the future, I'm starting to fear that Coach Dean is going to be softball's version of baseball's Sunny Golloway. Unpopular with players and parents, unremarkable on the recruiting trail and in general not very well liked by the AU family. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen enough off the cuff remarks here and there to make me very concerned.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Speaking of the future, I'm starting to fear that Coach Dean is going to be softball's version of baseball's Sunny Golloway. Unpopular with players and parents, unremarkable on the recruiting trail and in general not very well liked by the AU family. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen enough off the cuff remarks here and there to make me very concerned.

Tough job to follow up the man who made Auburn softball relevant. He has his work cut out for him. Seems like a bunch of players are unhappy, and it's starting to come out on social media little by little. Hopefully, Dean can get things turned around, but year one was certainly rocky.

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Tough job to follow up the man who made Auburn softball relevant. He has his work cut out for him. Seems like a bunch of players are unhappy, and it's starting to come out on social media little by little. Hopefully, Dean can get things turned around, but year one was certainly rocky.

He better get control of this team then, no coach can withstand the recruiting trail when his own players (or their families) chose to air their grievances on freaking social media.  NO good can come of it.

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Could still be fallout from the Meyer situation. After all, the team basically divided itself over that, and getting a bunch of college girls to play nice after they were on opposite sides is no easy task. It may take a couple of years of attrition before Dean actually has a team in place that is really his team.

Part of it is also that Auburn does not deal well at all with taking a step back when they have been extremely successful. The reality is, we lost three of our best hitters, our hitting coach got a head coaching gig, and our win percentage still only dropped by a whopping .06% and our ranking dropped a whole 3 places.  People need to relax and give Dean some leeway.  

23 minutes ago, keesler said:

He better get control of this team then, no coach can withstand the recruiting trail when his own players (or their families) chose to air their grievances on freaking social media.  NO good can come of it.

Yep...that's the real problem.....some coaches can allow the "inherited" players to go their own way and bring in his/her own team....but not sure that CMD has the connections and reputation to scoop up a bunch of "ready to play" players to replace any who might decide to leave.  

Three hitting coaches in a year says a lot for our hitting.  With that many voices in their heads, it's a wonder they hit that well.

Sister with 2 D1 softballers seems to think highly of Coach Dean.  

Tons of variables to consider in moving forward.

Sit, watch, and stay positive.  Gotta have faith!

It is what it is.  Given the choice, there isn't a player that played for Myers that would not choose to be playing for him as their coach at Auburn over playing for Dean.  Myers is an incredible coach and it is always incredibly difficult to follow a coach like that in any sport.  For that reason alone, I have to give Dean more time before making any concrete judgments concerning his ability to get the job done.  What concerns me most about Dean is something that I did not expect to be a concern.  His ability to make adjustments to game situations has been nonexistent.  I am assuming that part of that is due to the leap up in competition from what he has been facing at JMU.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

This sounds promising...

2qiza68.png

That tweet has a point. Martin could very well produce more hits than any number of others in the lineup. She's also big and strong enough to ht one out fairly often.

Looks like Carsone might not be able to volunteer coach, if I interpret this correctly.  However there could be the possibility for her to be in a salaried coaching position.

NCAA Legislative Proposal 7: Passed

• In baseball and softball, to increase, from three to four, the limit on the number of coaches who may be employed by an institution and who may contact or evaluate prospective student-athletes off-campus. Further, to specify that an institution may not utilize the services of a volunteer coach in baseball or softball.

6 hours ago, AUSRB said:

Looks like Carsone might not be able to volunteer coach, if I interpret this correctly.  However there could be the possibility for her to be in a salaried coaching position.

NCAA Legislative Proposal 7: Passed

• In baseball and softball, to increase, from three to four, the limit on the number of coaches who may be employed by an institution and who may contact or evaluate prospective student-athletes off-campus. Further, to specify that an institution may not utilize the services of a volunteer coach in baseball or softball.

This cuts Coach Smith off of the baseball staff too. Of course he can now be hired and paid for his services.

I still find it a bit difficult to fully evaluate Coach Dean.  He took on the most difficult job at the most inopportune time .   The challenges he faced off the field so much more difficult than what we saw on the field, yet the off the field stuff affects the on the field stuff.   I wonder if a coach can coach how he wants to in that situation or not?  Does he have to adapt and be so much more than a coach.  How hard it had to be to regain the trust for some and loyalty from the others that worship Meyers.  I have heard that this group became a team again by the end of the season.  Losing the hitting coach was a tough blow, especially the timing.   The fact that he maintained the performance record on the field is a big factor to me and the continued improvement to facilities that have happened, he has my support.

Archived