2019 4* DE/Buck Colby Wooden commits to AU!!!!

ellitor

Colby is playing right now in the Corky Kell Classic. Score is tied 0-0 in the 2nd quarter Here is the Livestream link. 

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 1

I love his attitude and think it will carry over into him becoming a special player for us. I am as bad as the next guy getting caught up in the star rating system. Sometimes you just know a recruit is worth more than some of the rating sites have him listed as. I think he has a great future on CRG's defensive line.

21 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Underrated 3 star player. Hope he gets some camp film on him because I believe he'd go up to a 4* by signing day. 

Didn't do any camps.

No camp

23 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Underrated 3 star player. Hope he gets some camp film on him because I believe he'd go up to a 4* by signing day. 

No camps left this year.

• ellitor unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

is he supposed to be a buck or grow into a strong side DE? my guess is the latter. Even though some of the DL commits aren't the highest ranked, Rodney's definitely someone I trust to get guys that he thinks are good enough to succeed. 

Rodney has shown that he is a good recruiter, developer, and has an eye for the kids under the radar. I remember a few years ago when he was the coach many Auburn fans went after. How times have changed.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Looks like Mr Wooden got his 4th star

Nice catch CC. Looks like he got a big bump by Rivals last week from a mid 3* to a low 4*.

• ellitor changed the title to 2019 4* DE/Buck Colby Wooden commits to AU!!!!

I expect Wooden, Handy and Gordon to get PT next year helping with the players we lose. I think we have done really well in the CB and Safety area also.  My biggest concern on D will be at LB and I am hoping the OP will help there. On the D side we have a pretty solid group but need at least 1 more LB and two would be better.

The D might actually be better next year not because they are better but I am hoping that the O-Line is improved and that the D spends less time on the field. We should know whether O is really better by 5th game when we play Miss State.  By than we will have played Texas A&M and Miss. State.  We need to get by Oregon than use the two easy games to improve and hit our stride by A&M if we don't it will be a long year and Gus will be on his way out.   

Edited by AuburnNTexas

I'd say PT for any incoming DL guys is in major flux until we know whether Coe and/or Davidson are coming back. If both come back, it's going to be tough to get into the rotation early. You'll have Coe, Davidson, and Bryant as projected starters I would assume. Then, you have Miller, Newkirk, Truesdell, and Moultry (who looked MUCH better at the end of the season) who have played a decent amount of football. Plus, you have Jibunor and Jackson who got their beak wet. If you remove the top two guys on the list (Coe and Davidson), it becomes pretty likely that a newcomer factors in. With them? I don't really expect anything more than what Miller provided this year.

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I'd say PT for any incoming DL guys is in major flux until we know whether Coe and/or Davidson are coming back. If both come back, it's going to be tough to get into the rotation early. You'll have Coe, Davidson, and Bryant as projected starters I would assume. Then, you have Miller, Newkirk, Truesdell, and Moultry (who looked MUCH better at the end of the season) who have played a decent amount of football. Plus, you have Jibunor and Jackson who got their beak wet. If you remove the top two guys on the list (Coe and Davidson), it becomes pretty likely that a newcomer factors in. With them? I don't really expect anything more than what Miller provided this year.

I thought Jibunor looked better than TD and Big Kat did as freshman.  I still wouldn't mind seeing him be moved back to LB.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I thought Jibunor looked better than TD and Big Kat did as freshman.  I still wouldn't mind seeing him be moved back to LB.

I think it is a possibility he is moved back to LB with 2 Seniors graduating it is the weakest area on the D side of the ball.

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

As the year went on we started to see guys like Coynis Miller get PT. The Interior is where we will need bodies most and Handy and Gordon seem to be the hybrid DT/DE type that grow into true DT's that Garner likes. I still expect them to get PT even if Coe and Davidson come back. Garner rotates a lot of D-Line which helps this team year to year. Two years in a row we lost important D-Linemen and I like many others expected huge drop-offs but it didn't happen. Garner is the reason for that. If Coe and Davidson both come back it will impact their PT but I still think Garner will work them in. I agree with you that the time will be more limited if both come back but like Miller he worked him in and by end of year he made some plays for us.  Unlike some of our coaches Garner believes in preparing for next year by playing the freshman in real games as much as possible against the cupcakes and a little against our SEC foes. 

Wooden who is more of a Buck will have hardest time as he will have two Bucks ahead of him plus Coe at times.

I just wish BigKat could channel his inner Quentin Groves.  It's been quite some time since we have had a dominant speed rusher and to me it's what our D desperately is needing.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I just wish BigKat could channel his inner Quentin Groves.  It's been quite some time since we have had a dominant speed rusher and to me it's what our D desperately is needing.  

Give me a Dee Ford and Quentin and I'm in heaven

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:
36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Give me a Dee Ford and Quentin and I'm in heaven

Maybe we need to bring Terry Price back to coach DE. We had some talent but we always seemed to have a guy that could bring pressure off of the edge when he was here.

• Like 1

I thought the spurts of good play by Moultry at the end combined with the pure speed Jibunor put on film gave us the best hope of a true speed rush since Ford graduated. Those two are quicker than anyone we’ve had since. Moultry just needs to play smarter, and Jibunor just needs some weight/refinement (not unlike Ford). There’s a lot of talent to hope on. 

16 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I thought the spurts of good play by Moultry at the end combined with the pure speed Jibunor put on film gave us the best hope of a true speed rush since Ford graduated. Those two are quicker than anyone we’ve had since. Moultry just needs to play smarter, and Jibunor just needs some weight/refinement (not unlike Ford). There’s a lot of talent to hope on. 

From what I can see through the TV, it seems like TD's issue (s) are that he is pretty terrible with his hand fighting.  He allows the OLineman to get up on him  and engulf him rather than keeping them at distance and off balance so he can make a move. Many times it looks like he charges right into the chest of the OLineman and then just disappears. The other issue, I think, is he doesn't have much of a repertoire when it comes to pass rush moves. Very basic bull rush, swim and rip moves that SEC lineman laugh at. Those technical issues will come on with more reps and more coaching, though.  He is too talented to keep off the field.  That said, he is another that I thought could've held down our MLB position after DD graduated.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think it is a possibility he is moved back to LB with 2 Seniors graduating it is the weakest area on the D side of the ball.

All three starting senior LB's graduate (Davis, Williams and Atkinson). Plus, McBryde's injury was of the head/spine type so he may not return to football. Every year that we sign fewer than three LB's it bites us in the butt sooner or later. Lookin' at the '16 class, where we signed one and he's no longer on the team. Signing three or four and then moving one to rush end on the first day of fall camp doesn't help either. I think Jubinor is a fine LB prospect. Maybe he'll be moved back to LB if we sign a suitable replacement in this '19 class.

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

Many times it looks like he charges right into the chest of the OLineman

Which does not work well against bammer because they will wrap both arms around you and hold the hell out of you. And the announcers will say what a great job of blocking by the tide O-line. Makes me mad as hell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1