2019 4* DE/Buck Colby Wooden commits to AU!!!!

ellitor

Updated: Colby commits to AU!

Dkvdx9fXsAAglut.jpg

Dkvdx9dXgAIoSjT.jpg

• 24 P5 offers including 9 from the SEC
  • AU has offered & this appears to have been an AU-Clemson battle for a while
  • Recruiter: T-Will (P), Garner (S)
  • Unofficial Visits to AU: 7/28/18 (Recruiting BBQ), 6/02/18 (Big Cat Weekend), 4/06/18 (A-Day)
  • Hopes to commit before the season starts

Ranked as the No. 31 strong-side defensive end in the nation and the No. 52 player in Georgia, Wooden brings a mix of both speed and power off the edge. His highlights show a knack for stopping the run as well as shedding blocks to get to the passer, which is why Auburn recruited him as a Buck.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/08/decision_day_for_3-star_defens.html

• In Wooden’s own words: “I absolutely love it here.”
  • Wooden said Pappoe is in his ear constantly about joining the Auburn family. Interestingly, he said junior defensive tackle Derrick Brown also has spoken to him regularly — and at Big Cat Weekend — about committing to Auburn.

https://www.seccountry.com/pwa/auburn/auburn/article/auburn-recruiting-big-cat-weekend-insider

DkmQfI3UUAET3-2.jpg

2019 Commit List

Edited by ellitor

Wonder how close he and Andrew are since they are teammates. Both have AU and clemson as favorites to land them by recruiting sites.

4 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Wonder how close he and Andrew are since they are teammates. Both have AU and clemson as favorites to land them by recruiting sites.

Good question. This is another one where we could see the Pappoe effect.

• Like 1

Just now, corchjay said:

This guy is way up on the AU boards regardless of stars.  All the big boys are trying to get him.  AU, UGA, Clemson, Bama. 

All I need to know If a DL is good regardless of rating is if AU & Clemson are going hard after a guy given their work on the DL. Both are hard after Colby.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

All I need to know If a DL is good regardless of rating is if AU & Clemson are going hard after a guy given their work on the DL. Both are hard after Colby.

Yeah and 11 sacks in one season.

Maybe I'm a little too biased but I am a stargazer like some other posters here... however, I really trust coach RG with his evaluation of players. Whoever, he and Steele want is fine by me!

• Like 1

I wonder if there is a chance his star rating goes to a 4?

8 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I wonder if there is a chance his star rating goes to a 4?

With AU & Clemson being the 2 teams recruiting him the hardest.....YYYYYYup!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

With AU & Clemson being the 2 teams recruiting him the hardest.....YYYYYYup!

Objective opinion on recruiting services and Auburn recruits... does not... compute... *sparks, smoke*

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

which coach is the primary recruiter?

which recruits of the Big Cat event, are the most likely ones to commit over that weekend?

On 5/24/2018 at 7:49 PM, WFE12 said:

Yeah and 11 sacks in one season.

I have been wanting to ask you for a long time; who are the characters in your logo picture?  I laugh every single time I see this!

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I have been wanting to ask you for a long time; who are the characters in your logo picture?  I laugh every single time I see this!

I have NBA player Kyrie Irving giving his best smug face in my profile picture and nacho libre the luchadore from the movie Nacho Libre in my signature.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

which coach is the primary recruiter?

T-Will, Garner, & Steele. Shows you how much we like him.

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

which recruits of the Big Cat event, are the most likely ones to commit over that weekend?

Discussed in the Big Cat Visitor thread Doc.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Keith CB'd to AU. Noice...

Noice? So, you are an Englishman these days? :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Noice? So, you are an Englishman these days? :)

It switches up day by day.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Keith CB'd to AU. Noice...

Keith has been pretty unflappable this recruiting cycle... not that he hasn't been in other years but when he has CB'd our way it seems to always remain true. It would be nice to get our 1 Buck locked in and continue to narrow our focus! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

3 CB's ..2 got put in today.

For AU that is...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Colby Wooden talks timeline, friendship with 5-star CB

Every cycle, there are a few players whose recruiting rankings don’t make much sense. It’s the nature of the beast, attempting to rate thousands of prospects, most of whom will end up in the Division I ranks. All the rankings won’t be spot-on.

That’s why, beyond the rankings, it’s valuable to assess a prospect by the quality of the programs recruiting him.

Archer (Ga.) defensive lineman Colby Wooden might be the best proof of that in the 2019 class.

Wooden ranks as a 3-star prospect, the No. 461 overall player in the nation. That is subject to change, and I expect it will. Wooden, however, is a highly coveted prospect for Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Tennessee, Florida and Florida State. To me, that tells a much fuller story than any ranking.

And this bodes well for Auburn: The Tigers are at or near the top of Wooden’s interest list.

“Auburn’s high up on the list. I really love it. It’s the environment. It’s the coaches. It’s the players. It’s a place I love being and could see myself playing,” Wooden said. “I’d say the coaches and how I feel when I’m here. I love the environment. There’s something about the feeling. Plus, the other recruits-slash-players keep putting it in my ear.”

Those players in his ear the most? Linebacker commit Owen Pappoe and junior defensive tackle Derrick Brown.

Pappoe is the driving force from the 2019 class who is convincing Wooden to join the Tigers. Brown is a player already on Auburn’s roster who knows what it’s like to be a top target from metro Atlanta who found success on the Plains.

That decision for Wooden will come in the summer. He said August is likely, but the July dead period isn’t out of the question if he feels ready to make a decision. When that decision is made, it will be final.

“No, once I commit, that’s it. No more visits, unofficial or official,” Wooden said.

Wooden is high school teammates with 5-star cornerback Andrew Booth. Auburn, Clemson and Georgia are the three programs battling it out most for both of those prospects. One source close to both said it feels as if Auburn is in the driver’s seat for Booth and Wooden, but the battle isn’t over.

As for Wooden, he would love to play with Booth in college, but they’re making separate decisions.

“Oh yeah, that’s my brother. We talk about it from time to time, but we’re going to do whatever our hearts are at. That’s what we need to do for ourselves,” Wooden said. “But yeah, it’d be cool to keep playing together.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw that on another site, but we know how these “play with my friend in college” usually works out ! Doesn’t !!! I hope they’re going to change the trend!

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...