Darrell Williams as strong-side linebacker

aubiefifty

al.com

Darrell Williams' versatility allows him to play all three linebacker positions and he once again will start on the strong side.

But less significant than the position Williams plays is his role. His 57 tackles last season were third on the roster and he should see an uptick with Tre' Williams gone.

Who spells Williams on the strong side is less clear since Auburn will rely on him and Deshaun Davis to take the overwhelming majority of reps regardless of formation.

Travis Williams has lofty goal for Auburn's linebackers this fall

Having three senior starters at linebacker made Travis Williams' life easy this spring for Auburn.

Post-Spring depth chart

Darrell Williams: 6-foot-2, 240 pounds, senior
Richard McBryde: 6-foot-1, 232 pounds, redshirt-junior OR
K.J. Britt: 6-foot, 228 pounds, sophomore
Chandler Wooten: 6-foot, 231 pounds, sophomore

Starter

Darrell Williams was one of Auburn's most productive players and he did it all over the field. At every linebacker position and on special teams, Williams made critical plays throughout the season.

As a senior, Williams should see an increase in his four tackle for loss from last season merely because of the increased reps he'll likely see.

When Auburn is in Nickel, Williams will still be the second linebacker on the field.

Backup

Auburn seldom lines up in a traditional 4-3 formation with three linebackers so identifying a true second-team Sam backer is more a matter of experience than anything.

Richard McBryde is capable of playing all three positions. 

Next wave

Chandler Wooten is on the weak side and K.J. Britt is in the middle, which would likely make him the next man up on the strong side.

K.J. Britt, Chandler Wooten hope to fortify Auburn's depth at linebacker

Britt and Wooten are expected to see the field more as sophomore this season and provide depth to Auburn's linebacker room.

Summer arrival

Michael Harris was considered an outside linebacker as a recruit and could end up on the strong side. He was a productive player at Tucker (Ga.) and might the most ready to play immediately of Auburn's three linebacker signees.

Zakoby McClain is expected to play weak-side linebacker. He can bring speed off the edge and rush the passer and play in coverage.

Zakoby McClain looking forward to playing in SEC

Quotable

"We're a pretty solid group just coming back with a lot of guys coming back. Losing Tre' Williams, but I feel like even through spring, we'll all keep continuing to get better, and I feel like we can only grow. We're going to be pretty solid once the season comes around. We got a lot to work on, but we'll be even better." -- Darrell Williams

Looking back at strong-side linebacker after Spring 2017

From May 17, 2017:

Darrell Williams is versatile enough to play all three of Auburn's linebacker positions and is firmly in the four-man rotation that sees the most time.

When the Tigers are in their "regular" 4-3 defense, which has become increasingly rare, then Williams is at strong-side linebacker.

The position has been utilized less because the base defense for most teams has shifted to Nickel due to the expansive use of three and four wide receiver sets.

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

al.com

Updated 7:58 AM; Posted 6:30 AM

3-4 minutes

Darrell Williams' versatility allows him to play all three linebacker positions and he once again will start on the strong side.

But less significant than the position Williams plays is his role. His 57 tackles last season were third on the roster and he should see an uptick with Tre' Williams gone.

Who spells Williams on the strong side is less clear since Auburn will rely on him and Deshaun Davis to take the overwhelming majority of reps regardless of formation.

Travis Williams has lofty goal for Auburn's linebackers this fall

Having three senior starters at linebacker made Travis Williams' life easy this spring for Auburn.

Post-Spring depth chart

Darrell Williams: 6-foot-2, 240 pounds, senior
Richard McBryde: 6-foot-1, 232 pounds, redshirt-junior OR
K.J. Britt: 6-foot, 228 pounds, sophomore
Chandler Wooten: 6-foot, 231 pounds, sophomore

Starter

Darrell Williams was one of Auburn's most productive players and he did it all over the field. At every linebacker position and on special teams, Williams made critical plays throughout the season.

As a senior, Williams should see an increase in his four tackle for loss from last season merely because of the increased reps he'll likely see.

When Auburn is in Nickel, Williams will still be the second linebacker on the field.

Backup

Auburn seldom lines up in a traditional 4-3 formation with three linebackers so identifying a true second-team Sam backer is more a matter of experience than anything.

Richard McBryde is capable of playing all three positions. 

Next wave

Chandler Wooten is on the weak side and K.J. Britt is in the middle, which would likely make him the next man up on the strong side.

K.J. Britt, Chandler Wooten hope to fortify Auburn's depth at linebacker

Britt and Wooten are expected to see the field more as sophomore this season and provide depth to Auburn's linebacker room.

Summer arrival

Michael Harris was considered an outside linebacker as a recruit and could end up on the strong side. He was a productive player at Tucker (Ga.) and might the most ready to play immediately of Auburn's three linebacker signees.

Zakoby McClain is expected to play weak-side linebacker. He can bring speed off the edge and rush the passer and play in coverage.

Zakoby McClain looking forward to playing in SEC

Quotable

"We're a pretty solid group just coming back with a lot of guys coming back. Losing Tre' Williams, but I feel like even through spring, we'll all keep continuing to get better, and I feel like we can only grow. We're going to be pretty solid once the season comes around. We got a lot to work on, but we'll be even better." -- Darrell Williams

Looking back at strong-side linebacker after Spring 2017

From May 17, 2017:

Darrell Williams is versatile enough to play all three of Auburn's linebacker positions and is firmly in the four-man rotation that sees the most time.

When the Tigers are in their "regular" 4-3 defense, which has become increasingly rare, then Williams is at strong-side linebacker.

The position has been utilized less because the base defense for most teams has shifted to Nickel due to the expansive use of three and four wide receiver sets.

Thanks for posting.........at first glance of title I thought Lectron was returning in some capacity .......time for more coffee?

9 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Darrell has turned into a really good, reliable player. 

Darrel makes routine plays . He tackles well and leads the team . Absolutely a great player who will play pro football for years 

11 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Darrel makes routine plays . He tackles well and leads the team . Absolutely a great player who will play pro football for years 

Agree. He was, by far, my favorite LB in his signing class.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:03 AM, bigbird said:

Agree. He was, by far, my favorite LB in his signing class.

I confess that I underestimated him - without any logical basis for doing so.  I thought he looked too "nice". 

hoover-high-2014-homecoming-court-darrel

2 hours ago, amsterjam said:

I thought he was playing us and would flip to the dark side before signing day.

I remember there seemed to be a little drama that he may flip . Glad he didn’t 

Archived