SEC Baseball Tourney thread

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posting the updated bracket below. AU gets a huge win over the Rebs & may have locked up a a host bid. They get aTm tomorrow. Winner goes straight to the semis on Saturday.

image.png

It's probably in this thread somewhere but I'm lazy. Who is pitching for us tonight. I'm taking the fam..

45 minutes ago, bg5 said:

It's probably in this thread somewhere but I'm lazy. Who is pitching for us tonight. I'm taking the fam..

C'mon man...

Here's a hint, he's on this list:

Image result for casey mize no hitter meme

So if a guy were to dream about the future and have AU win today, thus moving to Saturday’s semi finals, which then become single elimination, who takes the mound?

10 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

So if a guy were to dream about the future and have AU win today, thus moving to Saturday’s semi finals, which then become single elimination, who takes the mound?

Andrew Michell. He will go either Tomorrow or Saturday. Any game after him is that innings warrior Johnny Wholstaff.

But I would expect Jack Owen gets the start after AM given his short outing Tuesday.

For those trying to make it to Hoover for a 4:30 first pitch, don't worry about it.  The losers bracket game 1 is in a rain delay pushing our game back 1-1/2 to 2 hours.  

Ole Miss beats UGA & awaits the AU-aTm loser tomorrow. I really don't want to see the Rebs offense again. Here's the updated bracket...

image.png

Well I'm missing all the fun....left for a few minutes on an errand for wife and come back to see that OM has won the game....

.I don't have any love for the dawgs under any conditions and grew up an OM fan when I was in HS .....so since there is no chance for tied game...someone has to win....then the koalas winning is good enough for me.   Loses probably don't affect what happens to Uga next anyway..

The weakness of the tournament is that only a couple teams really NEED to win a game or two to advance their status for the NCAA selections....and Uga was not one of them.  We probably were however and the guys have responded well.  

Now...LSU and USCe for game 2 today....

3 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Probably Mitchell Saturday and Davis Daniel Sunday. Contrary to the thoughts of some, four full day's rest is plenty for a pitcher that only threw 6 innings his last outing.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Probably Mitchell Saturday and Davis Daniel Sunday. Contrary to the thoughts of some, four full day's rest is plenty for a pitcher that only threw 6 innings his last outing.

Unfortunately for your point of view Butch is in that contrary category based on his choices nearly anytime that possibility came up so far in his AU career. I'd be willing to do a friendly wager with you DD does not get the start the next game after AM given he threw 82 on Tuesday.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Unfortunately for your point of view Butch is in that contrary category based on his choices nearly anytime that possibility came up so far in his AU career. I'd be willing to do a friendly wager with you DD does not get the start the next game after AM given he threw 82 on Tuesday.

In suppose you would like to make such a bet, since what I wrote was that DD would start SUNDAY. Sunday's game will not be the next game after A&M.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In suppose you would like to make such a bet, since what I wrote was that DD would start SUNDAY. Sunday's game will not be the next game after A&M.

I'd be surprised if DD threw again this tournament unless its a one or two inning stint.  82 pitches is a lot for him right now.  His previous outings over the last month or so haven't been terribly long.  Doubt he's stretched out enough to come back that quickly for a start and as E mentioned, Butch is usually very careful with his pitchers.

EDIT:  Just looked it up.  In his last five outings, Davis has thrown 21, 18, 77, 42, and 82 pitches.  After that 77 pitch outing, he didn't pitch again for eight days.

Auburn baseball in perfect position for SEC crown

Updated 11:37 AM; Posted 7:42 AM

By Joseph Goodman

The hot-lava rivalry between Auburn and Alabama simmers near the surface of the volcano at all times.

Even in late May.

Even with football players out of school and away from campus.

Even when Alabama didn't even qualify for one of the most loaded SEC baseball tournaments in the league's history.

Even then, the rivalry is still present and building pressure for another inevitable eruption.

Auburn has won two games in two days out at the Hoover Met, and the Tigers are now in perfect position to make a deep run in a tournament featuring seven top 25 teams. Ranked No.23 nationally by Baseball America, Auburn defeated No.4 Ole Miss 9-3 on Wednesday and plays Texas A&M at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday. With star pitcher Casey Mize on the hill for Auburn (39-19), the Hoover Met should be packed with fans and Major League scouts.

Replay review, late surge boosts Auburn past Ole Miss

Auburn surged past Ole Miss on Day 2 of the SEC Tournament on Wednesday in Hoover.

You'd think, with Alabama not even good enough to make the conference tournament, that the rivalry between Alabama and Auburn would be inconsequential right now. Nope.

Auburn's best hitter, Canadian-born slugger Edouard Julien of all people, reminded me on Wednesday that the blood feud that drives the state of Alabama is always there.

Julien has more RBI (62) than any other freshman in the country. On Tuesday, the first day of the SEC Tournament, he delivered a walk-off hit in the 11th inning to give Auburn a survive-and-advance victory against Kentucky. On Wednesday, the left-hander blasted a late-inning, opposite-field grand slam to blow open the Tigers' lead.

ADVERTISING

How could a kid from Quebec City, which might be more removed culturally from the state of Alabama than anywhere in North America, possibly be tied to the Auburn-Alabama rivalry?

Julien was recruited to Auburn by Brad Bohannan, the Tigers' former assistant who is now the head coach at Alabama.

Can Auburn continue its impressive rebuild without Bohannan's recruiting magic?

Is Julien just more proof that Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne made the one hire that could simultaneously sink Auburn and lift Alabama out of the drama-filled one-year tenure of coach Greg Goff?

See, the rivalry is always there, and the two schools would be worse off without each other always pushing the demand for excellence ever higher.

Julien wasn't exactly a diamond-in-the-rough recruit when Bohannan recruited him from Quebec City to Auburn, but Alabama's first-year coach was also the only person on Auburn's staff who had seen Julien play. Bohannan had a relationship with the coach of Canada's junior national baseball team, which gave him a recruiting advantage over other schools.

When Bohannan left for Alabama, Julien had already signed with Auburn.

"I was a little bit scared," Julien said. "The only coach who saw me play, to see him go to be the head coach at Alabama, I didn't know if I was going to get playing time."

ADVERTISING

Auburn coach Butch Thompson called Julien before the 2017 Major League Baseball draft and assured him he was still in the Tigers' plans. Julien was drafted by the Phillies in the 37th round, but stuck with Auburn. It was a good decision. It's obvious the freshman Auburn now calls the "Canadian Crusher" has improved his draft stock significantly in just one season.

"I think that's the best decision in all of my life," Julien said.

Edouard Julien busting out of slump in SEC Tournament

Julien has come up with two enormous hits for Auburn in the SEC Tournament so far.

Julien leads Auburn with 15 home runs, and is closing in on some of Frank Thomas' freshman records. Thomas had 21 homers as a freshman, so that record seems safe, but Julien is only six RBI away from tying Thomas' freshman record of 68.

Julien's grand slam on Wednesday was his third of the season. He was protecting the plate with two strikes, but still had enough power to send it down the left-field line and over the fence.

Now Auburn is in perfect position to make a run for the SEC crown. Pitching for the Tigers on Thursday is Mize, the right-hander from nearby Springville, Ala., who has been projected as the No.1-overall draft pick in the MLB draft. A victory against Texas A&M would give Auburn an off day before Saturday's quarterfinals.

"We have confidence, especially when we have Casey on the mound, so it's going to be big for us," Julien said.

Joseph Goodman is a columnist for Alabama Media Group. He's on Twitter @JoeGoodmanJr.

• WarTiger changed the title to baseball in perfect position for SEC crown
55 minutes ago, Mikey said:

AM was Andrew Mitchel not A&M. I didn't feel like typing his name again since we were already talking about him so I used his initials. Also I never use A&M to refer to the Aggies unless it's a thread title. I always use aTm when I'm talking about them. Yes you said Sunday but you also said the next start after AM which could be Saturday if we lose today.

59 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

So what happens when its a monsoon this weekend, which is apparently possible based on what Ive seen.

tenor.gif?itemid=10884800

Archived