SEC Baseball Tourney thread

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good point but since AU is out of the tourney there is not much to talk about now.

The thread was mainly for the non AU games of which there are still 3 + left.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

so might as well move on to the next subject which is the NCAA tournament and where AU will fit into the picture.     

That's what the In Order To Host thread is for.

Answering the rest of your questions in that thread.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arky and TAMU on a tear in this tourney...still some good games left.  Can't count out Ole Sis as they are still scratching.  Florida is on a slide so don't know if they are just trying to heal up or if there are larger problems...

Sayonara to Florida. LSU pounds them 11-0 & will play Arky in the 2nd semifinal.

UF getting blown out shows the power of a multi-day tournament. It’s not much solace for me knowing got to Mize in the inners bracket and promptly lost 2 straight without much of a fight, especially with a chance to host on the line. Tired of Tallahassee. 

Looked like little league again today....runners passing each other going in the opposite direction on a hit to center that was caught (or maybe not) an took about 10 minutes to look at videos and then the rules on runners passing another runner and when it happened.  and next batter grounds into DP and the inning is over. 

Sort of like the AU thing on the homerun confusion....OM baserunner thought ball was caught and returned to first while the hitter knew/thought it had not been caught and continued around toward 2nd and they passed each other midway between the two bases and ended up on opposite bases....  Someone not clear about what happened on the play in the outfield. 

5 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Arky and TAMU on a tear in this tourney...still some good games left.  Can't count out Ole Sis as they are still scratching.  Florida is on a slide so don't know if they are just trying to heal up or if there are larger problems...

I think the injury to Schwartz just messed up the team chemistry. And they were just due a bad stretch anyway. 

OM takes a 2-1 win over Arky....who would have thought an OM freshman pitcher could hold the piggies to only one run....

Guess I'm going to have to accept that OM is pretty danged good...they've had the strong RPI and high national ranking all season but their W-L kept me wondering whether they were for real and even after our series,  I kept thinking they were over-rated....  

So maybe not over-rated.....seems they are for real....

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

OM takes a 2-1 win over Arky....who would have thought an OM freshman pitcher could hold the piggies to only one run....

Guess I'm going to have to accept that OM is pretty danged good...they've had the strong RPI and high national ranking all season but their W-L kept me wondering whether they were for real and even after our series,  I kept thinking they were over-rated....  

Maybe I am missing something but I believe that was A&M unless you are seeing into the future and if you are then we all need to take a trip to Vegas!

〰️

35 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Maybe I am missing something but I believe that was A&M unless you are seeing into the future and if you are then we all need to take a trip to Vegas!

Thanks...right...aggies or hawgs....what's the diff..?....either way, a tough win.....I actually missed the game and saw the score but wrong teams...⏭️

4 hours ago, jared52 said:

UF getting blown out shows the power of a multi-day tournament. It’s not much solace for me knowing got to Mize in the inners bracket and promptly lost 2 straight without much of a fight, especially with a chance to host on the line. Tired of Tallahassee. 

If we don't host it likely won't be Tallahassee. ECU is much more likely at this point.

44 minutes ago, AU64 said:

aggies or hawgs....what's the diff..?

One's a pretty Collie. The other is a messy wild Bielema, I mean pig.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Then you look at their individual starters ERAs and its like, how do they win?

'Insert other media

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Then you look at their individual starters ERAs and its like, how do they win?

'Insert other media

Yep...it sure makes me wonder who scored all those runs off of them....but maybe it's a bunch of starters who only go 5 or 6 innings and give up maybe 3 runs or so.....which boosted their ERAs when extrapolated to a nine inning base.   

BUT....the have some hitters.   However they got to where they are, ...they've looked pretty good throughout most of the tournament.   A better team than I expected.   

Overall, our pitching is not bad but the hitters have some notable weaknesses that others have been able to identify and take advantage of. 

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

Let's drop the pitcher usage debate & stay on the SEC Tourney please. None of our opinions from the people who have chimed are going to change so it's useless to keep talking about it. We have the same debate on it every year. Nobody's mind changes.

Why drop it? It's a subject a number of people were interested in and now we have information direct from the world's pre eminent sports medicine authority, Dr. James Andrews. That should change several opinions here. If a pitcher's ability to go safely on three days rest isn't germane to tournament baseball I can't imagine what is.

PS: For those that may not have seen Dr. Andrews's recommendations on pitcher rest periods, they at listed in a post near the bottom of the previous page of this thread. Many thanks to @jw 4 au.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Why drop it? It's a subject a number of people were interested in and now we have information direct from the world's pre eminent sports medicine authority, Dr. James Andrews. That should change several opinions here. If a pitcher's ability to go safely on three days rest isn't germane to tournament baseball I can't imagine what is.

PS: For those that may not have seen Dr. Andrews's recommendations on pitcher rest periods, they at listed in a post near the bottom of the previous page of this thread. Many thanks to @jw 4 au.

Agree...and a point to note...CBT is being portrayed as a "responsible" coach and opponent coaches being "irresponsible" over the pitch count issue.....  based on an estimated number that was arbitrarily determined and which is not supported by fact or rules. 

If CBT has a philosophy he wants to use, that is up to him and he lives with his choices.   But, no point in fans dinging other coaches who don't share it yet seem to conform to acceptable standards.    They know their pitchers, what they have done in the past  and how they prepare.

My son, along with many other boys, participated in a program through Alabama Sports Medicine that tracked pitchers.  We tracked his pitch count, percentage of pitches thrown (fastball, curve, etc), level of arm and shoulder soreness after pitching.  They would call him weekly to get the results from that week.   He did this from 10 years old through college.  They even called him yearly after he stopped playing just to see if he had any arm or shoulder issues. I hope the time and effort he put into this program is used to help players, coaches and parents regulate pitch counts.  

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

My son, along with many other boys, participated in a program through Alabama Sports Medicine that tracked pitchers.  We tracked his pitch count, percentage of pitches thrown (fastball, curve, etc), level of arm and shoulder soreness after pitching.  They would call him weekly to get the results from that week.   He did this from 10 years old through college.  They even called him yearly after he stopped playing just to see if he had any arm or shoulder issues. I hope the time and effort he put into this program is used to help players, coaches and parents regulate pitch counts.  

Thanks....I hear that most college pitchers come to college with the damage already done from their HS and summer league days...too many curve balls perhaps and because of inadequate preparation between games for the rigors of pitching.  Coaches have to be careful to assess what they have recruited..      

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

Agree...and a point to note...CBT is being portrayed as a "responsible" coach and opponent coaches being "irresponsible" over the pitch count issue.....  based on an estimated number that was arbitrarily determined and which is not supported by fact or rules. 

If CBT has a philosophy he wants to use, that is up to him and he lives with his choices.   But, no point in fans dinging other coaches who don't share it yet seem to conform to acceptable standards.    They know their pitchers, what they have done in the past  and how they prepare.

Hjelle was teetering on the edge of unacceptable, and with his body type he has to work harder because he's 6'11".  So really he should be even more conservative.

It has nothing to do who he played for. I was also upset with Golloway for overusing a pitcher.  No need to chastise others for having a different opinion than you. 

4 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Hjelle was teetering on the edge of unacceptable, and with his body type he has to work harder because he's 6'11".  So really he should be even more conservative.

It has nothing to do who he played for. I was also upset with Golloway for overusing a pitcher.  No need to chastise others for having a different opinion than you. 

Not chastising you but you have been pretty insistent on this issue...repeatedly... and just pointing out that there is a ton of stuff on the subject and lots / maybe most does not support the strict limit you seem to support.   Call out coaches if you want....but does not make their actions incorrect or unsafe.

Meanwhile, OM hitters are at it again and looks like they will take the conference championship. ...now up 7-1 over LSU. 

JMO but the baby bears look like the best team in the conference about now and sure are hot going to the next step. 

6 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

@Tigerbelle, you yourself are chastising the Kentucky coach for having an opinion different from yours. Hjelle's use was within the accepted limits. Suggesting that use within the accepted limits is somehow unacceptable can be nothing but your personal opinion. You are arguing with Dr. Andrews and scores of others whose livelihood depends on proper handling of pitchers. Think about that for a minute.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

@Tigerbelle, you yourself are chastising the Kentucky coach for having an opinion different from yours. Hjelle's use was within the accepted limits. Suggesting that use within the accepted limits is somehow unacceptable can be nothing but your personal opinion. You are arguing with Dr. Andrews and scores of others whose livelihood depends on proper handling of pitchers. Think about that for a minute.

Where did I deny that it was my opinion? And it it is strictly a guideline. Dr Andrews would tell you that too. Individual cases are always going to vary, and pitching STYLE is also a factor. That's how it is in medicine. I happen to work in that field. It is most definitely fine tuned for individual circumstances. 

You might ask yourself why a guideline was necessary.  Their livelihood also depends on winning, and their egos are involved as well.

Hjelle pitched over a hundred pitches in the previous game and he has a body type that has to work harder to make each pitch. There are reasons to be conservative with THIS particular kid. My concern is that this coach has no problems pushing the limit. Is that clear enough?

If you don't agree I'm not going to tell you not to post it. 

18 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not chastising you but you have been pretty insistent on this issue...repeatedly... and just pointing out that there is a ton of stuff on the subject and lots / maybe most does not support the strict limit you seem to support.   Call out coaches if you want....but does not make their actions incorrect or unsafe.

Meanwhile, OM hitters are at it again and looks like they will take the conference championship. ...now up 7-1 over LSU. 

JMO but the baby bears look like the best team in the conference about now and sure are hot going to the next step. 

As I said to Mikey......

Archived